Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 90913 times)

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »

Yes sir!!! His is basically getting some break in time on it and making adjustment as it loosens up

All good stuff, my 117 build goes on the drum in the morn, 9am GMT

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »

Dave,

Cant wait for your first ride report.   Glad you were able to get half your Christmas present  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:   Safe travels back home.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »

Dave,

Cant wait for your first ride report.   Glad you were able to get half your Christmas present  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:   Safe travels back home.

Thanks Harry,
I did get home and unloaded and a chance to run down the road and back. Wow is all I can say.

Thank you for all your help and guidance.
I'll post over on the 117 thread and get out of Ed's thread.
Sorry Ed
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »

Thanks Harry,
I did get home and unloaded and a chance to run down the road and back. Wow is all I can say.

Thank you for all your help and guidance.
I'll post over on the 117 thread and get out of Ed's thread.
Sorry Ed

No Worries Guys,,, I would have chimed in with congrats :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  was out "Thumpin' the Pines"...

'Pleasantly surprised for you that the SE HD Spring held on the Dyno :2vrolijk_21: When I had that set-up, it would slip (in the upper gears) on the street :'(
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »

Ed, I don't think I am in the same class on torque that your monster is. Didn't added enough compression to get there. We will see once we get on the road with both of us and the trailer loaded down what the clutch will hold.  I will probably go ahead and start gathering parts and whatever tools I need in preparation for going the AIM/Alto route. Will say right now I am very happy with the outcome. Now if the rain will clear out so we can take advantage of this day off.. :huepfenjump3:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »

'Pleasantly surprised for you that the SE HD Spring held on the Dyno :2vrolijk_21: When I had that set-up, it would slip (in the upper gears) on the street :'(

Got a couple hundred in this afternoon and you are correct Ed, clutch will not hold on the street.
Made a full throttle run though the gears this afternoon 2up and it blew through the clutch going into 5th like it wasn't there. Thinking that is a good problem.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2017, 10:20:53 PM »

Got a couple hundred in this afternoon and you are correct Ed, clutch will not hold on the street.
Made a full throttle run though the gears this afternoon 2up and it blew through the clutch going into 5th like it wasn't there. Thinking that is a good problem.

Damn the Luck :bananarock:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #337 on: April 09, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »

damn, hate hearing this... i dont know what i did to get so lucky to not have these issues. hope you get her sorted out soon
Fast,
Not really too bad (except for the Transmission Leaks,, they happened to be "off sequence" with any Primary Inspections / other Primary Work :nervous:) as the Blow-by and slight Oil Consumption seems to have corrected itself... The rest was New Michelin Commander IIs, The Dunlops lasted for around 18k,,, And getting around to Installing the 2nd set of Alto Carbonite Plates that Alto gave me to try, which were really no different than the 1st Alto Kit, just a QC Check on Alto's part  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

The only real drama with this Build so far has been the Wiseco Piston Slap at 28k and the 2 HD Transmission Seals in the DD7,,, I don't know of many Builds of this caliber that have as many miles with less drama?? There's probably some out there,,, 'Just don't know of many / any???

The DriveTrain is as Smooth & Quiet as ever :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: It's not like I'm pissed / frustrated or anything :coolblue:

72* 35% Humidity, Not A Cloud In The Sky,,, Gotta Ride :bananarock:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:50:54 PM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #338 on: May 26, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »

Afternoon Update; 57,xxx on the Bike, 36,xxx on the Build, 5,8xx on the Cylinders, Pistons, Compensator "refresh"

3,682 Miles since Oasis Changed the Oil (RedLine 20-60), & Primary Fluid (RL Primary Case Fluid) Even though the DriveTrain is so Smooth & Quiet that it's Scary  :nervous: "The Ball & Chain" and I are preparing for the NMITM so I changed the Oil (Mobil1 20-50 V-Twin 3 QTs / K&N Filter) & Primary (RedLine Primary Case Fluid-1QT)... The Engine has used 1-1/3 "Xs" on the Dipstick,,, the Drain Plug looks Great, so did the old oil,,, no metal,,, not watery feeling at all after a 40 mile warm-up ride... The RL Primary Case Fluid was black as sin (Alto Carbonite Plates) just a small amount of "paste" on the Drain Plug, not enough to cover the magnet halfway...

'Ran a couple of tanks of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner then threw in some Champion RA8HC Plugs gapped .040...

Installed a new Deka from Battery Mart ($99. to the door) the 3 year old HD was getting a hair slow on the first crank of the day,,, Spinnin' like a top now :2vrolijk_21:

'Noticed that the >4year old DayMaker was out on the Right Side :nervous: :nervous: After removing the Fairing,,, found that the Plug had just come loose (I was the last one in there :'( getting happy with the Di-Electric Grease) Since the Plugs do not have a positive latch,, I zip-tied them together,,, just have to remember to have the Dychs in hand the next time in the Fairing...
'Gave me the opportunity to Re-Adjust the Gains on the J&M Rokker 500w Amp,,, The J&M Guys listened to it at BikeWeek, said I was too conservative and should turn up the Gains a little,,,
Sounds mo' betta now :coolblue:

R&Ring the Fairing only took a few mins, everything lined up easy and proper,,, 0 drama,,, 'must be holding my mouth right? need to buy a lottery ticket LOL.

The Michelin CIIs, Balanced first, then Ride-On Sealant installed, are doing fine, to early to tell (3,682mi.) on the cupping...

'Forgot to mention in Previous Updates that Oasis had installed The Drag Sintered Brake Pads 1721-1366 ($33.95) in the Rear,,, No difference in Feel / Performance from OE Pads :2vrolijk_21: Maybe less "Dust"??

It's another one of those days,,, 80* Sunny, 57% Humidity,
Not a Cloud in the Sky,,,

'Gotta Ride :bananarock:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:21:28 AM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2017, 08:40:17 PM »

Afternoon Update; 58,xxx on Bike, 37,xxx on Build, 7,700 on "refresh"

Not many miles since last post, 'been riding the '05 :cherry: a little, otherwise trying to beat the heat...

Bike has been running great :bananarock: all quiet & smooth. We rode to Murphy, NC to view the eclipse, ride the area, and get psyched for the upcoming MVGTG!!

Only issue has been a rear tire blowout (instant deflation) in Murphy, NC :nervous:

The course of events and the looks of the tire has me scratching my head :confused5:

The day before the blowout, I checked the tires and each was +- a pound and a half low (digital gauge), which considering the lower ambient temperatures in the mountains (coming from Fla) I felt was good / normal,,,

'Aired up the 5k mile Michelin Commander IIs that had the recommended amount of Ride-On Sealant installed to the 38F, 42R that I usually run... Both tires looked fine, much less cupping than the OE HD Dunlops at comparable mileage...

We (along with our friends on 3 other HDs) had a great day of riding, sometimes "spirited", heeling the HDs near their limits on occasion...   
The '09 SERG was flawless in every respect,,, all was well in our world... Even the Dragon (which we don't frequent very much) was easy, not much traffic... (although 2 were life flighted out an hour or so before we rode through :().

Riding a basically counter clockwise loop, Moonshiner 28, Fontana Dam, Deal's Gap, The Dragon, Tellico Plains, Cherohala Skyway, Robbinsville and back toward Murphy, NC... Nearing Murphy on HWY 129 (4 lane) cruising around 65 mph, while changing lanes we both noticed a subtle shake when crossing the centerline, nothing really alarming, then <5 seconds later we both smelled burning rubber, I immediately slowed and pulled over to the side of the road, when at 20 mph or so it was evident that the tire was riding on the rim. It seemed to be an instantaneous loss of pressure, no noises, bumps or anything that would alert us to the instant loss of air pressure... Just moments earlier I had her leaned over hitting bumps in the road at 15-20 over the posted limit, the Bike was faultless...

We were lucky that the flat happened when & where it did, 2-3 miles from the house, good cell coverage, if we were heeled over in the twisties, it could have been another story :nervous:... 

We found Wheeler's Performance in Robbinsville, NC. Wheeler's specializes in sport bikes and according to their website, stocks hundreds of tires, "we do plenty of Harleys,,, no problem..." Wheeler's was very Friendly, Polite and Professional with very Competitive Pricing,,, A great Indy!! Because of the hi-load rated (80) 18s on the SERG, Wheeler's had to order the tire from the NC Parts Unlimited Warehouse and had us on our way with a mounted and balanced Commander II 42 hours later...

Looking at the tire; a single nail hole (no nail) centrally located in the tread, thought it would be a good candidate for a plug until we discovered some slits about an inch or so long inside the tread grooves, near the outside edges...

Over the years I have had 3-4 nails / screws in rear motorcycle tires,,, all were discovered with the nails still in the tires, barely low on air, plugged the tire and rode out the remaining service life,,, no issues. I never had a nail come out on its own?? As far as the slits,,, I'm thinking that the tire split on its own while riding on the rim with all that load on it?? I don't really know?? 'Never saw one like this before,,, this is my first instant deflate on a street (tubeless) tire, have had two other instant deflates (F&R) shredding tubes in dirt bike tires...On the dirt bikes, the greatest loss of control was when the rear blew...

Surprisingly there was no damage at all to the Rear Wheel.

IDK if the Ride-On Sealant played any part in the way this issue played out??
I do know that the Ride-On was properly installed to the Manufacturer's Specifications, and the MCII suffered a complete deflation while riding :nixweiss:

Maybe I'll contact Ride-On and see what they have to say??   

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #340 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »

We were lucky that the flat happened when & where it did, 2-3 miles from the house, good cell coverage, if we were heeled over in the twisties, it could have been another story :nervous:... 

Glad you got stopped ok, having a sudden total lose of air pressure can be a little unnerving  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #341 on: September 02, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »

It sounds like to me that you ran over something stationary and the ride-on didn't do its job.  :nixweiss:
Glad it was uneventful  :2vrolijk_21:

Like a spike strip  :pineapple:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
Re: 113&quot; / 117&quot; Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #342 on: September 02, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »

It sounds like to me that you ran over something stationary and the ride-on didn't do its job.  :nixweiss:

Like a spike strip  :pineapple:

TN
Caltrops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: 113&quot; / 117&quot; Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #343 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »

Caltrops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to google that, very interesting.

Don't ride behind certain folks. :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #344 on: September 02, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »

Glad you got stopped ok, having a sudden total lose of air pressure can be a little unnerving  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Since we were cruising in a straight line, the Bike behavior really wasn't that bad,,, the old hi-speed dirt bike experience probably saved our bacon on that one :huepfenlol2: By the Grace of God we weren't  heeled over...
With a total flat the bike is very resistant to turning :nervous:

The burning rubber smell was unnerving...

"It sounds like to me that you ran over something stationary and the ride-on didn't do its job.  :nixweiss:

Like a spike strip  :pineapple:"

TN

Phil, I agree, except that we didn't see, feel, or hear anything like a board with a nail sticking up, or any other object for that matter  :confused5: The tire appears to have a single nail hole (no nail) in the center of the tread  :nixweiss:

Yea, Harry from Ride-On asked if the hole appeared to be "cored" like I ran over spike strips :o The tire did not appear to be "cored" in fact, the nail hole appeared smaller than the drill bit used in the youtube demo above...

I spoke with Ride-On yesterday and emailed them some pictures,,, maybe I'll hear back from them after the holiday??
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.