Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: DD-7 and Cruise Control  (Read 11132 times)

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
DD-7 and Cruise Control
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »

I have a 2011 CVO Streetglide with TTS that I have installed a Baker DD-7 does anyone know how to get the cruise to work in all gears and not just in 7th ?7

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: DD-7 and Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:56:38 PM »

Chuck, there was a lot of talk about and not sure what the outcome was in the thread DD7 1st ride
Can't remember the outcome because I am still on a SERT

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=91846.0
Most great stores start with a bad decision

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »

Give the folks at Baker a call and ask them.  They indicate on their website that those with a TTS can in fact make the cruise work in any gear, and if you need assistance just call them.

"Fitment Note: Cruise Control will only work in 7th gear and the Red Line will be 5200 RPM with the DD7 on Throttle-By-Wire bikes equipped with stock ECM’s. No other motorcycle functions are affected in these instances. The 6th gear indicator light will come on when the DD7 is shifted into 7th on all models and all ECM’s. Aftermarket tuners such as Daytona Twin Tec and TTS-Mastertune will allow cruise to function in all gears, like stock, on Throttle-By-Wire bikes when coupled with the DD7 gearset. Dynojet can also flash your stock ECM to adjust the cruise control the cruise and red line, while still allowing the ECM to work with piggy back units like Power Commander. Any questions on this, please give our tech line a call."

1-877-640-2004 Toll Free  or  517-339-3835

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

I talked to Steve Cole today and James at Baker.  Baker didnt have any answers they use Power Vision and they say all they have to do is re enter the gear ratio for each gear. The TTS per Steve isnt able to do that he recomended I change the primary ratio to get it to work so I tried and I can not get 6 and 7th gear to work at the same time for the cruise to work I get one or the other. Anybody have any other ideas .

My test results

Ratio    light on/gear   cruise on gear
1.430     6                   4,5,6
1.420     6                   4,5,6
1.416     6                   4,5,6
1.414     No                  5
1.412     no                  4,5
1.410     7                   5,7
1.406     7                   5,7
1.400     7                   5,7
1.390     7                   5,7
1.380     7                   5,7
1.372     7                   5,7
1.353     7                   7

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »

I'm riding up to Oasis today, 'will see if they have any insight on the TTS...

'Will post when I find out...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »

Thank you that would be great.
Chuck

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »

'Checked w/ Oasis, they said Techno-Research or Power Vision or send ECM to DynoJet.
Whish I could have been more help...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »

Thanks for trying
Chuck

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »

What is strange about this is we have several other customers who have all been able to use the same adjustment Chuck was given and it works in 4 - 7 just fine. Now just have to figure out why not for him.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »

Friday, while the tech was heat cycling the 117/DD7 Build on the Dyno he stated that the cruise was working in sixth and seventh gears

This is with the stock 09 ECM and a power commander five auto

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:12 AM »

Steve,  I'm getting about the same results as Chuck at 1.432, with some minor differences at other ratios.  Had hoped to get cruise to work in 6th and 7th if not in all gears.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:28:17 AM »

I know the cost of one of these gear sets.   And I know what it takes to install one,,, is the 7th gear really worth the cost and the effort?  I did a DD6 on my 2004.   I guess I would say it was worth it.  But having that 7th gear,,  I wasn't sure
    So I thought I'd ask.  8)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »

I know the cost of one of these gear sets.   And I know what it takes to install one,,, is the 7th gear really worth the cost and the effort?  I did a DD6 on my 2004.   I guess I would say it was worth it.  But having that 7th gear,,  I wasn't sure
    So I thought I'd ask.  8)

I'd put the Daymakers and the DD7 in the same basket;
a real improvement, real nice, real expensive...

'Riding around Florida 1-up there is no way the DD7 is worth the $ to me, 2-up / loaded, or in the mountains, nothing better...

I waited until the planets aligned themselves with the black Friday sale and free labor to 'justify' the DD7 (oh, and the 2nd mortgage :nervous:)

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »

As best as I know there is only one 7 speed and that just lowers the gears. 7th gear is the same as 6th gear in the stock 6 speed. So what you end up with is lower gears and less of a split between the gears. If someone know different that may explain why some work and others don't.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »

I pull a trailer and live in the NW having the closer gear ratio is great being in the power band all the time. I can see living in Florida why you wouldn't need it the largest hill is the overpass down the road.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »

As best as I know there is only one 7 speed and that just lowers the gears. 7th gear is the same as 6th gear in the stock 6 speed. So what you end up with is lower gears and less of a split between the gears. If someone know different that may explain why some work and others don't.

Agree; AFAIK Baker is the only 7 speed trans on the market.  Yes, DD7 1st gear is 12% lower than stock 1st gear  Yes, 7th is still direct (1:1) like stock, so yes the DD7 is a closer-ratio trans than stock.  Makes that variability a head scratcher.   :nixweiss:

I pull a trailer and live in the NW having the closer gear ratio is great being in the power band all the time. I can see living in Florida why you wouldn't need it the largest hill is the overpass down the road.

Ditto.  Riding 2-up and pulling a trailer on steep grades and high elevations (many over 10,000 ft) of the mountain passes of western U.S makes the DD7 a big benefit.

When I had the DD7 in my '08 SEUC (stock ECM with PC5), Dyno Jet reprogrammed the ECM and cruise worked in all gears.  Now, with TTS on my '11 SERGU, don't know if that's an option...ECM may have to be stock.  Anyone have thoughts on that, or on use of Power Vision to reprogram gear ratios?

If you want peace, prepare for war.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

Agree; AFAIK Baker is the only 7 speed trans on the market.  Yes, DD7 1st gear is 12% lower than stock 1st gear  Yes, 7th is still direct (1:1) like stock, so yes the DD7 is a closer-ratio trans than stock.  Makes that variability a head scratcher.   :nixweiss:

Ditto.  Riding 2-up and pulling a trailer on steep grades and high elevations (many over 10,000 ft) of the mountain passes of western U.S makes the DD7 a big benefit.

When I had the DD7 in my '08 SEUC (stock ECM with PC5), Dyno Jet reprogrammed the ECM and cruise worked in all gears.  Now, with TTS on my '11 SERGU, don't know if that's an option...ECM may have to be stock.  Anyone have thoughts on that, or on use of Power Vision to reprogram gear ratios?

'Spoke w/ FuelMoto around Daytona (Bike Week) and Jamie said that they (DJ/FM) didn't have a fix for the Vision, but would work on that when DJ got back from Daytona. I don't know if that was just for the '09s or the later models as well?

AFAIK, Techno Research has the solution.       

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »

Do a cam change. Easier than a gear swap.  And way cheaper.   120 torque is a game changer.  Then 6th gear or 7th won't even matter at all.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:33:11 PM by cvostu »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »

Do a cam change. Easier than a gear swap.  And way cheaper.   120 torque iw a game changer.  Then 6th gear or 7th won't even matter at all.  ::)

'Went to a 117 w/ T-Man 625s but the planets were in alignment for the DD7 also :bananarock:

The CruiseDrive 6th and the DD7 7th are both 1:1, the benefits of the DD7 are the lower first gear, the closer ratios, much smoother & quieter 

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »

Any fix for this yet?

I ask as I went to a shorter rear tire thus changing my overall gearing and I no longer have cruise or sixth gear indicator light. I don't know if I'm chasing something similar or not. I do know I saw the light a few weeks ago after the tire swap... or at least I thought I did.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »

Waiting on a call back from a dealership. They have two identical bikes both with the baker 7, One works great and the other doesn't. Both have the exact same calibration in them. We are working with them to try and figure it out but were on there schedule not ours. They built both bikes for two brothers, so the only thing different on the bikes they say is the custom paint.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »

Stu, that 120 torque does feel great behind the cruise drive, but throw that same 120 behind the 7 speed and there is a huge difference again. I am 250-260, wife is not a skinny girl either, then throw the trailer, or start pulling the hills in NW AR and dang that lower first gear is really nice. Maybe by the time I can get the parts and money together to build a motor, someone will have a fix for the cruise. Even now just having cruise in 7th I am very happy with the tranny

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »

The Boys at Oasis do 'most as much Baker as Bert does... 'They have the (Techno Research) "fix" for the Cruise / Rev Limit with the 7...

With the PC-V/Auto the cruise works in 7th.

T.R.(T-Man 625 Cams, CVO Street Performer Heads) & Bert (DD7) are playing very well together with the "Yellow Cruise Missile" (117 '09 SERG).

'Curious to see how the Clutch (stock/SE Spring) works in the upper operating range?   

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 04:07:03 AM »

So no real answers yet on this, I just ordered the DD7 and was planning on ordering the TTS to set up the ECM as I use Cruise most of the time on the HWY and don't want to start my next trip without it. Maybe the speed sensor is having a hard time reading the helical gears? We use a similar sensor at work on the caterpillar engine flywheels, you can actually test it with a volt meter as it will generate 10 Volts at speed then check the frequency with an ocilloscope to see if there are any missing pulses, does the speed sensor in the harley work the same way? I know the installed distance from the teeth is critical and any filings on it will weaken the signal. There is some mention of a different thickness gasket for the speed sensor in the DD7 kit so the installed height must have been an issue.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »

Currently we know there is something going on but no direct answer. We have also found the the sensor itself has been changed along the way. So at this moment in time we think it is a combination of things that causes the issue and need to still trace it down further. Regardless of what we end up with the cruise works in 7th without issue as it is the same as 6th, it's just the lower gears that we are chasing. HD also uses a different calibration when upgrading the early 6 speed to the later 6 speed and the only thing different between those is one had straight cut gears and the other helical cut. So we've got plenty of variables in the mix right now and we are trying to sort through them all to find a fix for them all.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »

I'm still waiting for an answer from Fuel Moto and/or Dyno Jet.  Jamie did an awesome job tuning my bike, so I would prefer not to mess with the rev limiter or change the tune.  However, with Sturgis looming, having cruise control in 7th gear is a must!  I'm not sure what is taking Dynojet so long to solve the problem?
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »

I have gotten the cruise to work thanks to Steve he is having me try this fix  and verifying that it is going to fix them all and then he will release it.
Chuck

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »

I know this is an old topic but wanted to update for future reference for all. It may have been addressed in another thread but I didn't find it. The TTS tuner has a tab now that will allow you to select the Cruise Drive 6 speed or the Baker DD7. When you select the DD7 it corrects the ratios and cruise becomes functional again in 4th-7th gears. Thanks Steve

KEB

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2008 Ultra
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 07:37:02 PM »

I made one small change to the top gear ratio with the power vision and it was fixed. Cruise in the top 3 gears works with a green light. The new ratio is 0.67333.

The ECU now interprets the DD7 1st gear as gear "0" with top gear showing as 6th or at least that's what the powervision shows.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »

Good info :2vrolijk_21:

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »

I clicked the Box on the TTS with the 7 speed and the cruise works fine.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

KEB

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2008 Ultra
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 08:41:37 PM »

I made one small change to the top gear ratio with the power vision and it was fixed. Cruise in the top 3 gears works with a green light. The new ratio is 0.67333.

The ECU now interprets the DD7 1st gear as gear "0" with top gear showing as 6th or at least that's what the powervision shows.

Turns out after a recent upgrade to my gearbox that I had an older gearset. The new gear gearset after the upgrade needed an ECU reset to dynajet recommended settings to get the cruise to work again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 21 queries.