Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to recognize Strange Sounds...  (Read 863 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
How to recognize Strange Sounds...
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:23:36 AM »

For those of us that are not familiar with the sounds of the various problems that can occur with our engines it would be nice if we could get some sound clips of the various issues.  On my old RK, I had a tech think i had a blown head gasket  when in fact it was an exhaust leak from a loose rear header.

I know it would not be easy but it would be useful.

Things Like:
Compensator Nut Failing
"strange" lower end noises
"strange" upper end noises
Others

When people refer to these it is hard to really imagine what they are hearing/listening to.

Maybe we could start capturing these as we come across issues?  Maybe this has already been done?

/Bill

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
Re: How to recognize Strange Sounds...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »

I can help with a little:

Normal sound: "potatopotatopotatoburppotato"

ECM screwed up by owner: "                         "

Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 03:38:40 PM »

WFP-

I  think Garznhogs got the normal sound right.  Regarding all the other noises associated with a twincam, it might be best to get the loudest exhaust, Hawgwired or Hogtunes amps/speakers, and wear a full faced helmet.  

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:00:36 PM »

Bill,
The compensator nut will produce a "rattle" that seems to move from side to side around the crank.  It will come and go, yet seems to be most prominent at idle; though I heard mine at highway speeds sometimes.  It's not a tinny rattle, nor is it a deep knocking sound, it's someplace in the middle.  Every one I've heard mentioned has occurred someplace about 3500 miles or less, so you're probably okay; BUT  [smiley=nixweiss.gif].  You know how it goes.  Our's was quite loud when Debe heard it.  She was suited up, full face helmet (with helmet speakers and music going) and FXRG gear ready to ride.  Of course, she tells me all the time I've said things, when I know I haven't! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  What is it with women anyway?!?!?! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

John
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.