Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 103 into a 01 RK  (Read 2328 times)

SPIDERMAN

103 into a 01 RK
« on: December 09, 2006, 09:00:04 PM »

I'm sure most of you who keep up on the site have seen posts by me and Beagle about his brother in law Hank. There's parts from a few of you on Hank's 01 RK. Hank's latest project is more power and Beags, he and I were kicking around ideas this afternoon over some pops and burbon. Based on the bottom line cost of my 103 upgrade to LD my RG, I commented that if we could pick up a 103 crate motor from H-D at 15% discount it might be a better way to go since Beags and I could swap out the motor. (neither of us get into
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:00:37 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 103 into a 01 RK
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:48:57 PM »

Spider, is it an M&M fuel injected bike to begin with or a carb'd bike?  How much change is potentially happening?  

If still looking for a throttle body and manifold I've got the parts that just came off the red bike.  Replaced for the new Zippers pieces.  So these are a stock bare throttle body and intake manifold off an 05.  Still bolted to each other.  I've got no idea what it's worth.  $50.00 for shipping and all?  Think I'm going to hang on to the ECM though.  Put it in a static bag and wrap it in bubble wrap and keep it in the saddlebag with the rain gear.  It can be my rolling redundancy.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:01:30 PM »

Spider, is it an M&M fuel injected bike to begin with or a carb'd bike?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:15:52 PM »

The bike has an M&M on it at the moment. Change out is going to be complete motor, EFI and ECM. Power Commander, Hi-torque starter, Hydraulic clutch with the SE clutch pack

Don,You got a deal buddy on the throttle body and manifold,

So now all we need is the ECM Anyone got a stock ECM that will work on this they want to sell ???

Also, still lookin for any potential pitfalls etc if we drop a 103 crate motor in here. Am interested in any advice anyone has on this.

Thanks in advance to everyone for any help.

Big B

External connections for hard parts like starter will be the same.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:18:19 PM by twolanerider »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 11:00:53 PM »

wooo   woooooo   my head's swimmin from all that tech talk. I'm a gearhead buddy. Nuts,bolts, cams, gears,wheels,tanks,fenders,seat, frames,bearings and all that stuff I understand. The only time I understand electricity is when it zaps my dumb ass. Beagle's the techno guy around here. You better start over and type out the  ECM for Dummie's version if you expect me to understand what the hell you just said.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:00:19 AM »

Ironhorse (I think that's who it was) recently found a vendor for a subharness that made the M&M to Delphi conversion sound actually simple.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:31:29 AM »

Thanks for the pitch for Zippers, but we'd like to keep this all H-D. Makes it a lot easier to get work done on it at any H-D dealership if everything we do matches up with the factory set up for a 103 with Delphi EFI

Back to square one

Can anyone tell me what we need to do to install a H-D 103 crate motor in a 2001 Road King that currently has a Magnetti-Morelli EFI system. Twolane has stepped up and offered a Delphi EFI and manifold, so what else do we need ? ( stock H-D stuff) and does anyone have anything they'd be willing to sell that we need ?

Thanks a bazillion times over if you do

Big B
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:32:22 AM by SPIDERMAN »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:59:32 AM »

Thanks for the pitch for Zippers, but we'd like to keep this all H-D. Makes it a lot easier to get work done on it at any H-D dealership if everything we do matches up with the factory set up for a 103 with Delphi EFI

Back to square one

Can anyone tell me what we need to do to install a H-D 103 crate motor in a 2001 Road King that currently has a Magnetti-Morelli EFI system. Twolane has stepped up and offered a Delphi EFI and manifold, so what else do we need ? ( stock H-D stuff) and does anyone have anything they'd be willing to sell that we need ?

Thanks a bazillion times over if you do

Big B

BB...no matter what parts you use, I am certain you will have to get the conversion wiring harness mentioned above to convert the MM system wiring over to the Delphi...other than that piece, everything else Harley should work fine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:27:14 AM by tcnbham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 02:54:30 AM »

wooo

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 11:29:52 AM »

Spiderman,

Another thing to consider is fuel delivery.  Magneti-Marelli systems use two lines between the tank and throttle body with the pressure regulator located on the throttle body - the second line is to return excess fuel to the tank.  Delphi systems use only one line with the pressure regulator located inside the tank.  Each system operates under different pressures.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »

Thanks everyone, a clear picture of what's involved is beginning to emerge.

Just for the sake of discussion, can you connect the M&M EFI to a crate 103, hook a PC to the existing M&M ECM and away you go ? In other words keep everything that's on the bike now as is and only swap the motor ?

Hank isn't looking for HiPo, just a bunch more grunt.

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »

You'll probably need to use the cam cover, cam position sensor, and rear cam outer sprocket from Hank's RK on a crate 103.  Magneti-Marelli ECMs use cam position to figure out which cylinder is coming up on compression for ignition timing and injector pulsing.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »

Just for the sake of discussion, can you connect the M&M EFI to a crate 103, hook a PC to the existing M&M ECM and away you go ? In other words keep everything that's on the bike now as is and only swap the motor ?

Brian, I believe so.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:34:03 PM by twolanerider »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »

The heads changed for 2006, with different intake ports, so you may want to verify that the M&M throttle body can be matched up to the new style heads.  I'm assuming a crate motor would have the latest style heads?????

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »

Just got off the phone with Beagle. He's figuring that if we're gonna do this we need to go to the Delphi system, so that's the route we're looking at.  Don, Looks like we're definitely headed that route, but we don't need the EFI till we've got the motor, so hold off for now. Thanks

Jerry,
         You're right I just checked the parts cat, the 103 crate motors are carrying  06 PN's.

B B
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.