Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wheel weights  (Read 4814 times)

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
Wheel weights
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »

After installing new from and rear tires, weights came off, denting the front fender to where I'm gonna have to either get the fender repaired, repainted or replaced.Any chance of getting paint codes and or getting the fender replaced ? Will be working with the indy shop and weights company. Wish me luck.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Wheel weights
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:14 AM »

Happened to me about a week ago.  My rear tire lost 2 of them ,,  one my wife found on the floor in my garage,, the other is down the road somewhere after dinging my rear render from underneath.   I'm not sure where to take it,, my old painter decided to close up.   Really pissed off about it too,,,   I feel your pain. Stuart  :(

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »

Happened to me about a week ago.  My rear tire lost 2 of them ,,  one my wife found on the floor in my garage,, the other is down the road somewhere after dinging my rear render from underneath.   I'm not sure where to take it,, my old painter decided to close up.   Really pissed off about it too,,,   I feel your pain. Stuart  :(.
Joe @ xtreme

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »

Joe does great work. Can match anything.  Gotta send him the fender tho.   :nixweiss:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »

Happened to me about a week ago.  My rear tire lost 2 of them ,,  one my wife found on the floor in my garage,, the other is down the road somewhere after dinging my rear render from underneath.  I'm not sure where to take it,, my old painter decided to close up.   Really pissed off about it too,,,   I feel your pain. Stuart  :(.

You still under warranty Stu?

:nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »

Joe does great work. Can match anything.  Gotta send him the fender tho.   :nixweiss:

Well you better get busy then  :P

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »

If still under warranty it should be covered. If the dealer did your last tire change perhaps a conversation with the service manager could reap some satisfaction since they are supposed to balance them and the weights shouldn't just fly off.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »

The wheel weights the MOCO is using now (at least at my dealership) are wider than the surface they attach to on most stock wheels.  I have no idea how they expect them to stay in place.  I supply the wheel weights I want used when I have tires mounted and balanced.  They have never balked at using them, however they have more than once tried to charge me for wheel weights (when I had supplied the weights) before.  Not intentional thievery, just incompetence by the guy doing the invoice.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »

Last time i bought tires I had them install a new product called Ride On, They say it doesn't gum up the inside of the tire like fix a flat but it does coat and "they say" you can run over a nail and it won't go flat also the MAIN reason I did it was the wheel weights came off as the stuff balances the tire also. So far they work good :drink: Well I said new maybe it's been out for awhile.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »

I do have the extended warrantee.  I should call them.  I had Peterson harley do me a rear tire installed,mounted and balanced,,  I am pretty friendly with the service manage.   His name is  the same as mine,,,  I'll see what can be done.   Stuart
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:55:29 AM by cvostu »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »

The ESP isn't going to fix the fender, but that dealership should if they were the ones that installed the wheel weights that came off.  Where did the failure occur, where the adhesive tape on the weight contacts the rim, or where the tape attaches to the weight itself?  If at the wheel, odds are they didn't install them correctly.  If at the weight, the weights themselves were either old or defective.

When using good weights and following the proper process for cleaning the rim and installing the weights, you normally get a result not unlike the stick-on bodyside moldings on a car or truck.  It takes real effort to remove them, and they don't just fly off.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 02:54:33 AM »

The failure happened with the tape at the weight.  The tape is still on the wheel and I still haven't tried to remove or clean it up.    I'm glad I didn't. My dealer will hear from me today.  I took a few pics yesterday.  Stuart

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »

Loose the wheel weights!

I had my front weights fall off with less than 500 miles. After reading threads on this forum & checking out the fender, the fender was damaged from the weights coming off. I took it to the dealer for inspection & as usual they never heard of fenders getting damaged from the weight! They contacted MOCO & the front fender was replaced.

Dyna Beads are the way to go! I no longer use wheel weights. When I have the tires replaced my dealer installs Dyna Beads at no charge!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »

Sounds like a good idea

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

Mine happened from Independent shop, He contacted weight company and of course they said to kick rocks, so were gonna either try to fix or maybe I'll just insurance claim it.Really not the shops fault. Looks to be bad tape. So we'll see shortly.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.