Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 10,000 mile service question  (Read 2204 times)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
10,000 mile service question
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:53:32 PM »

My bike has 13,000 miles on it. I've done all my own service so far, but as there are few things I'd rather not do, and since we are planning a TX to Fl trip in a few weeks, I thought I'd take it in to the "pros"  As my fluids have already been done, they agreed to charge me $200 bucks to do the rest.

When I got the bike home and was wiping it down, I checked the front grease zerk on the steering head.  It looked dry as a bone. So I removed it and could'nt detect any grease anywhere. According to the service manual, it should be pumped full until it oozes out the top and bottom of the head. So, my question is: does this sound like the greasing was done?  I called to talk to the service manager, but he was out and I would rather have a second or third opinion as to if it would be possible to grease it and not show any evidence at all. Not even anything inside the zerk.  Help please.

Thanks, Robert
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: 10,000 mile service question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »

Robert.....Not a good recommendation, but most shops just skip the neck bearing.  You're right, it should be lubed until it ooozes out of both the top and the bottom.  My guess is that it is too big a PITA getting to the zerk to fool with it.  I changed my zerk, as I do on all fairing bikes, to a 90 degree fitting.  It is then simple and easy to fill it, which I do every 2500.  BTW if you have a air supply grease gun it works many times easier than the 30 or 40 pumps that it takes to fill an empty one.  BTW, I've never seen a new bike come from HD with the bearing lubed.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

My bike has 13,000 miles on it. I've done all my own service so far, but as there are few things I'd rather not do, and since we are planning a TX to Fl trip in a few weeks, I thought I'd take it in to the "pros"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:21:55 PM by HarleyDudeAtl »

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »

Well, I already knew the answer to this question before I asked, but I wanted more ammo when I call the serv mgr.  Tomorrow I'm going to get a 90 degree fitting and if it takes more than a few pumps, then I'll know for sure.  So much for the piece of mind of having everything done by the pros.  >:(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:13:09 PM »

Robert.....Not a good recommendation, but most shops just skip the neck bearing.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 07:54:19 PM »

Excellent idea on the 90

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »

Excellent idea on the 90
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »

GC-
I'm with everyone else that has replied.  I pumped at least a 1/2 of tube of grease before the grease came out at the top and bottom (happened at the same time as HD-dude said it would).  They should be greased when the bikes are taken off the crate for initial delivery.

None of us were there to see what your dealer did for the $200..  You want to think of the best in people and that everything you hadn't done was done.

I believe the steering head adjustment is to be checked at 10K also.  I know I have tried to check mine and my handlebars only make 1 swing.  To check correctly i believe you have to unhook the throttle cables and clutch/brake lines so the front end will swing naturally.  For $200 they couldn't have done that one check point alone.  My bike handles fine so I went no futher with the head adjustment.

As GRC stated, if you can change the 3 holes as you have done, try the rest of it yourself.  At least you know what was actually done.  

None of this was said to make you feel bad or distrust your dealer.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 09:46:55 PM »

Well, I already knew the answer to this question before I asked, but I wanted more ammo when I call the serv mgr.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 09:50:40 PM »

I put one of those adjustable fittings on my grease gun hose and can get it on the zerk without too much problem.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:55:06 PM »

Pull the old fitting out and take it with you to the parts store.  There are different sizes in the automotive world.  But they are noticable different.  With the old one to compare against the counter guy can't really get it wrong.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 10:58:26 AM »

That piece of mind comes from the "pro" that cares

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 11:10:47 AM »

Well, I kinda got derailed by a nasty cold but yesterday I finally got the 90 degree zerk and a fresh tube of grease and no suprises. Put over 25 pumps and still never actually saw any grease come out. The other problem I had mentioned to them was a new vibration that started around 11K miles. Was smooth as glass before this started. When I picked the bike up they said the upper motor mount was just slightly lose and they didn't notice any other problems for vibration. The old ( just normal ) routine. When I went over the invoice I noticed that the bike went in with 12,999 miles and came out with the same. They didn't even test drive it! How do you investigate a problem without even a test ride?
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

se2

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »

Comments on the thread postings below...

I started riding in 2003 on a new Road King TC-88. I trusted the dealer to attend to the maintenance details.

At 24,000 km I decided to do maintenance myself. The steering head bearings took 2/3 of a tube of HD special purpose grease. I asume they had just been giving it just a couple of pumps during each service interval. So why were they charging so much for service supplies?

Also, at times, I would get stuck in gear and they never found anything wrong. I bought the service manual and followed the clutch adjustment procedure, and never had the problem again. 40,000 Km now and all is well.

FYI, at 16,000 km I changed to SYN3 lubricant. The engine noise went from very noticeable to very little within 300 Km. A very dramatic result, I was so happy. Of course this may have occured naturally on the original oil specificatin due to break-in considerations, but I guess I will never know for sure. It happens that I rent new Harleys in Las Vegas and Hawaii and have ridden/driven a lot of new Harley bikes. My 03 Road King is far superior in overall operation and engine noise.

I am starting to believe in Syn 3, and personal attention to vehicle maintenance. I am interested in comments to the otherwise.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »

Let me first welcome you to the best HD website on the internet!!  This place is a wealth of knowledge and information, plus it's a lot of fun too.  Great folks make a great site, as you will discover.  Better hold on to your wallet though, as you will find more stuff here to spend money on than you can imagine.

Couldn't agree with you more on the self maintenance on the bike.  There are many threads here on synthetic oil, so do a little exploring and reading and you might find there are even better products to protect that new 110 engine!!

Welcome!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.