Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: cam shaft position sensor  (Read 2623 times)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
cam shaft position sensor
« on: December 16, 2006, 07:19:40 AM »

Just finished with Zipper 575 install with the other goodies (thanks 103tHunDer for advice). On ride home about 40 miles later the bike lost power >:( >:( >:(. on diagnostic was found to have cam shaft position sensor failure. Did anyone else encounter this problem? Is it something that during install needs to be changed or was just bad luck? PS WOW! on how it runs!!!! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 08:13:50 AM by otophile »
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: cam shaft position sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »

Just finished with Zipper 575 install with the other goodies (thanks 103tHunDer for advice). On ride home about 40 miles later the bike lost power >:( >:( >:(. on diagnostic was found to have cam shaft position sensor failure. Did anyone else encounter this problem? Is it something that during install needs to be changed or was just bad luck? PS WOW! on how it runs!!!! :) :) :)
otophile,

Did you mean CKP (crankshaft position) sensor?  I can't see where opening up the cam chest could have any affect on this, since it is located on the other side of the engine.  Looks like just bad luck, or maybe the wires got nicked changing the oil filter??

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »

I too think it was just bad luck as Jerry stated, the sensor is on the opposite side of the cam cavity.  Happy you liked the way it ran after the cam change.

speedfreek

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:36:12 AM »

Yes, the Dephi injection system does not use a Cam position sensor, only Crank position sensor.  There is no rhyme or reason to their failures.  Some last the life of the bike, others I've replace with less than 200 miles on a bike.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: crank shaft position sensor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »

thanks for input. Problem was had work done non Harley shop, when broke down had Road America which would only tow to HD dealer. Of course dealer blamed install and said not warranty covered item. I will recheck the work order , but I am sure you guys got it right and way it was explained to me was slanted to relieve any blame on MOCO. ( started with conversation about improper pushrod installation causing misfire or "burn out" of sensor? Unfortunately I am wrench ignorant so have to trust what people say, go figure!) John
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:13:25 PM by otophile »
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: crank shaft position sensor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:06:03 PM »

PS thanks for correction on proper part ! changed thread title so as not to confuse issue
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »

thanks for input. Problem was had work done non Harley shop, when broke down had Road America which would only tow to HD dealer. Of course dealer blamed install and said not warranty covered item. I will recheck the work order , but I am sure you guys got it right and way it was explained to me was slanted to relieve any blame on MOCO. ( [highlight]started with conversation about improper pushrod installation causing misfire or "burn out" of sensor? [/highlight]Unfortunately I am wrench ignorant so have to trust what people say, go figure!) John

Not likely, The CSS is on the other side of the motor and monitors position of the crank only, It has nothing to do with cams, pushrods or valves.

Were there any other noises or vibrations that you heard prior tp the power loss?

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »

Not likely, The CSS is on the other side of the motor and monitors position of the crank only, It has nothing to do with cams, pushrods or valves.

Were there any other noises or vibrations that you heard prior tp the power loss?
Prior to install was a noise in left side, during install tech found loose compensator nut. Other than that there was a new low level noise from right I assumed was gear drive. Bike ran for little over 50 miles, then cut out like ran out of gas. Would not turn over on repeated tries ( had fuel line replaced with braided one, and thought at first maybe dirt or debris blocked line, but that obviously would have been too easy). The only other thing I noticed it did not run as smooth in acceleration as before everything put on but can't be more specific than that ( was actually on way to get dyno tuned when all this occurred!)
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »

[highlight]Prior to install was a noise in left side, during install tech found loose compensator nut.[/highlight] Other than that there was a new low level noise from right I assumed was gear drive. Bike ran for little over 50 miles, then cut out like ran out of gas. Would not turn over on repeated tries ( had fuel line replaced with braided one, and thought at first maybe dirt or debris blocked line, but that obviously would have been too easy). The only other thing I noticed it did not run as smooth in acceleration as before everything put on but can't be more specific than that ( was actually on way to get dyno tuned when all this occurred!)

The ones I have seen that have failed had metal particles on it. That will cause failure. Did you ask the dealer to see the old part?

As mentioned in some of the previous posts. The install of the cams should not have caused this failure as thay are on the other side of the motor. Same with the push rods.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 08:17:29 PM »

The ones I have seen that have failed had metal particles on it. That will cause failure. Did you ask the dealer to see the old part?

As mentioned in some of the previous posts. The install of the cams should not have caused this failure as thay are on the other side of the motor. Same with the push rods.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
DAWG,
unfortunately i did not get a chance to see the sensor.In retrospect would have been nice to see and post pix here. I guess it makes me feel better about after market shop that did install ( zippers had dealt with them and done various non harley parts add on for several bikes in past without problem).  The dealer in Jacksonville, FL that I have dealt with for 11 years has built a larger central store, and all the techs and Service managers have moved to the larger location. So I guess now I may have to drive the extra 20 miles to new store, or use the shop in Brunswick, GA for service (HD that is!). Any way up and running now so usually the pissed off level gets better the more i get to ride, but for a while i guess i will be paranoid about every sound ( still trying to get used to gear drive noise!) John
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Rhino

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 10:00:45 PM »

But tell us, what about the dyno run. I for sure am interested in your results.

Rhino

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 06:31:07 AM »

[highlight]But tell us, what about the dyno run.[/highlight] I for sure am interested in your results.

Rhino

YEA WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 10:37:24 PM »

As soon as I get my scanner working will post dyno run. Spent day doing "burn in" on new Brembo brakes!  didn't get them to smoke but could sure smell them ;D ;D ;D
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:06:01 AM »

I've had 3 replaced but they all tripped codes several times but never had one fail.  Do carry one in the saddle bag, it is the 1 part that the bike will not run without.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 04:39:06 PM »

I was just reading the thread on dealer lack of desire to put other than SYN 3 in bikes, well  to continue my dealer saga went to dealer to get copy of dyno tune (  could not find in paperwork, but told everything came out great). Talk to dyno tech,and low and behold while I got charged for four hours on dyno, they actually did not do any tuning!! It just could not get any better, now when I ride I have no confidence that they actually found what was really wrong!! i guess it is time to find another dealer, or get someone who can help me do things myself ( and believe me that is scary thought!!)
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.