Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Getting out the inner bearings???  (Read 2943 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Getting out the inner bearings???
« on: December 18, 2006, 08:57:13 PM »

Ok, so I understand pretty much the whole cam swap procedure, except how to get the inner bearings out.  Are folks replacing these during cam swaps, and if so how do I get them things outta there.  Can't find it anywhere on the site here, and any place else for that matter.  Any help here would be great.  I'm gettin ready to swap out for the 575 Gear Drives and want to have all the stuff in place before I get started, including tools I'll need.

So far I'm lookin to get...

575 Gear Drive Cams
SE Adjustable Pushrods
HD Cam Installation Kit
S&S TC Gear Drive Set

Optional at this point...

Fueling Support Plate
Fueling Oil Pump
Fueling Lifters

Tools.....

Hydraulic Press (need one anyways)

WHAT ELSE??????????
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:16:44 PM by FR8TRN »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: waGetting out the inner bearings???
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »

You can buy all the tools you need at www.georges-garage.com    ..   Call him up when ordering and he will give you an extra 5% off for site membership thanks to Hd-dude with free shipping over $150..   I bought every tool I needed from him and they cost approx $250..   Their inner cam bearing puller pulls the needle bearing out in one piece with no chance of the needle bearings falling in the case.

I bought the Feuling oil pump and lifters as I wanted to do this job once.  With over 25K miles on yours, your oil pump will probably be scored from cam tensioner shoe debris..  Also, the MOCO upgraded the oil pump for 07 so they most have figured their pump had some issues in their previous design.  A Feuling cam plate is not needed as the stock design will do the job.

Also, most have bought the Zipper's bypass shim.  Zipper's also gives forum members a 10% discount on the cams only.  

As far as a press, a hand operated non hydraulic one works fine.  It doesn't take much pressure to press the outer bearings on/off and in/out of the cam support plate.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:59:36 AM by Boatman »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:16:40 AM »

Ok, so I understand pretty much the whole cam swap procedure, except how to get the inner bearings out.  Are folks replacing these during cam swaps, and if so how do I get them things outta there.  Can't find it anywhere on the site here, and any place else for that matter.  Any help here would be great.  I'm gettin ready to swap out for the 575 Gear Drives and want to have all the stuff in place before I get started, including tools I'll need.

So far I'm lookin to get...

575 Gear Drive Cams
SE Adjustable Pushrods
HD Cam Installation Kit
S&S TC Gear Drive Set

Optional at this point...

Fueling Support Plate
Fueling Oil Pump
Fueling Lifters

Tools.....

Hydraulic Press (need one anyways)

WHAT ELSE??????????

I just helped a buddy pull and replace the ICB's this weekend on his scoot. If you do not want to purchase the tools yourself, I will contact him and see if he is interested in a "rental" program.

Just let me know.

Cheers!

Chief

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:39:20 AM »

You should purchase the complete Jim's cam tools. It will have every thing you need. You will get the cam inner bearing tool for twin cams. You can take them out and reinstall them with one tool. Maybe you can buy the set and resell them at a slightly lower cost to the next CVO member. Then they can do it for the next person.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 08:25:30 PM »

You can buy all the tools you need at www.georges-garage.com    ..   Call him up when ordering and he will give you an extra 5% off for site membership thanks to Hd-dude with free shipping over $150..   I bought every tool I needed from him and they cost approx $250..   Their inner cam bearing puller pulls the needle bearing out in one piece with no chance of the needle bearings falling in the case.

I bought the Feuling oil pump and lifters as I wanted to do this job once.  With over 25K miles on yours, your oil pump will probably be scored from cam tensioner shoe debris..  Also, the MOCO upgraded the oil pump for 07 so they most have figured their pump had some issues in their previous design.  A Feuling cam plate is not needed as the stock design will do the job.

Also, most have bought the Zipper's bypass shim.  Zipper's also gives forum members a 10% discount on the cams only.  

As far as a press, a hand operated non hydraulic one works fine.  It doesn't take much pressure to press the outer bearings on/off and in/out of the cam support plate.  

Thanks Boatman, I'll hold on to the website, looks like Jim's may have a set also, I'll price me out.

On the Press, I need a good Hydraulic Press anyways, hell who doesn't, everybody should have one. ;)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 08:26:27 PM »

I just helped a buddy pull and replace the ICB's this weekend on his scoot. If you do not want to purchase the tools yourself, I will contact him and see if he is interested in a "rental" program.

Just let me know.

Cheers!

Chief

Thanks Chief, I'll probably be pickin up a complete set anyways, might as well, if I do mine successfully my buddy is gonna want me to do his also.....and so on....and so on.....it never ends.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:28:39 PM by FR8TRN »

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 08:27:39 PM »

You should purchase the complete Jim's cam tools. It will have every thing you need. You will get the cam inner bearing tool for twin cams. You can take them out and reinstall them with one tool. Maybe you can buy the set and resell them at a slightly lower cost to the next CVO member. Then they can do it for the next person.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Got a link to Jims Cam Tools Dawg??

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »

Here's the link for the JIMS online catalog.....http://www.jimsusa.com/  Great tools and last forever.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 08:39:07 AM »

Here's the link for the JIMS online catalog.....http://www.jimsusa.com/  Great tools and last forever.

Thanks, I'll have a look around......

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »

Here's the link for the JIMS online catalog.....http://www.jimsusa.com/  [highlight]Great tools and last forever[/highlight].

Thanks for posting the link BLM. I have to agree that they are a very good quality tool and they do last forever.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Getting out the inner bearings???
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »

Well I've got everything out and all the new parts ready, have a line on some tools local, but if that don't work out I'll have to go elsewhere I guess.

Picked up all the goodies from Zippers today, got a tour of the place while I was there.  Alot going on in that building.  Got to talk with the guy that puts in the new Timken Bearings, he had a bunch of cases laying there just waiting to get done, some failed, some getting done just in case.  Didn't look like a fun thing to have happen.

Surprisingly, with 25,500 miles on the odo, my tensioner shoes showed almost NO wear at all, not even close to what I've seen from others.  If I didn't want the 575 Cams and it just made sense to do the gears at the same time, I'd of button'd it back up and gone another 25K or more before worrying about them again.  They did have some stuff coming off of them though, and that isn't good, and there are new gear drives waiting to go in, so it's off with the tensioners.  Here are some pics (the pics suck), but you can see em a little bit.  The ridge on the edge of the shoe is just enough to catch a nail on, thats it.

Anybody wanna buy some Tensioners????  I'll sell em cheap, and they only have 25K miles on em, good for another 25K easy.....   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 04:02:57 PM »

Those tensioners look very good for 25K miles.  No two engines are the same for mileage.  No rhyme or reason.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 04:06:42 PM »

Wow your doing something right. What kind of oil and how often you servicing it? are you easy on the accel?
they dont look to bad for 25k  
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »

Those tensioners look very good for 25K miles.  No two engines are the same for mileage.  No rhyme or reason.

Best I can figure it has got to be something with the spring tension, don't know what the +/- on em is for tolerance, but I can't really see any other reason there is such a large range these things go out in.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »

Wow your doing something right. What kind of oil and how often you servicing it? are you easy on the accel?
they dont look to bad for 25k  

Nothing different than anybody else for service, dealer did first service (cause it was free (yeah right)) with Syn3 (plus the SE's come with Syn3 in em), I did em there after with Amsoil, bout every 5000 miles (give or take a 1000), I think I forgot on the last go round so it's probably been 10,000 for the oil in it now.  [smiley=oops.gif]  Easy on the throttle I'm not.......

Bagger

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 10:49:52 AM »

Those tensioners look great for 25K+.  I've seen them worn down 1/16" at 20K.  I don't understand why the wear is so inconsistent unless it is the tension as you say.  Regardless, those tensioners are the weak link in an otherwise strong chain.  The question I have is what type of wear are the inner and outer bearings going to get with gear drive cams since there is no "give" with gears like there is with the chains?

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »

Those tensioners look great for 25K+.  I've seen them worn down 1/16" at 20K.  I don't understand why the wear is so inconsistent unless it is the tension as you say.  Regardless, those tensioners are the weak link in an otherwise strong chain.  The question I have is what type of wear are the inner and outer bearings going to get with gear drive cams since there is no "give" with gears like there is with the chains?

Well here is what Andrews has to say about it.  They are mostly talking about changing from the roller bearings that are on the rear cam to ball bearings.  Makes sense and I would guess the loads would be less on the inner bearings also.  Now one of the guys at Zippers was telling me that if you have a crank bearing issue, it's gonna show up alot quicker with the gear drive cams and it's possible the gear drives if incorrectly installed could make it worse, this is the guy that puts the new Timken bearings into the cases, he showed me a few of the ones that failed, didn't look like alotta fun.

---------------------------

Since gear drives generate much lower bearing loads than chain drives, there is no need for roller bearings. Also, gear drive cams with roller bearings will make more noise during engine operation.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »

Sure hope somebody on here can tell me how to get this thing back together.......... [smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 03:54:37 PM »

I don't know how to get it back together, but I do recognize the part you got showing. Now I know why it was smart/cheaper to replace the oil pump while doing the cam upgrade. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 03:56:53 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 04:02:41 PM »

I don't know how to get it back together, but I do recognize the part you got showing. Now I know why it was smart/cheaper to replace the oil pump while doing the cam upgrade. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Yeah it just sorta slides out from there.......I'm not doing a new one, this one is in great shape, no pitting at all and I've always carried better than average oil pressure, did do the Zippers bypass shim, if the bypass was leaking that'll take care of that, if it wasn't, well I blew $5.40...  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »

[highlight]Sure hope somebody on here can tell me how to get this thing back together.......... [/highlight][smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Hell the hard part was done. puting it back together is the easy part. Not tooooo sure I would have left the stock pump in there though.

Good Luck finishing it up.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.