Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Stock 88b motor 85hp?  (Read 3862 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Stock 88b motor 85hp?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »

This is what I've been saying since I joined this site. Gotten beat up a couple of times too as a result. Dyno numbers like this 85 hp while true don't mean squat and don't tell the whole picture. 85hp from an 88" motor with only pipes, breather and PC is actually on the low end of what they can do by advancing the chit out of the spark, doing away with the rev limiter and running the bike up to near grenade status to produce the highest Hp number they can. I am not at all skeptical about this. However, I would imagine the elapsed time numbers are burro cart slow and the bike would overheat in real world riding conditions in a matter of 20 minutes. I am extremely skeptical however that they got 85 / 85 on the same dyno run. My guess is they ran it a dozen times, tuned it to get the max in each area individual and are posting the results as collated and not from a single sheet / run. People forget that a dyno is a tool, used to help the tech tune the motor to do certain things within the capabilities of the parts in the motor. There is a huge range the tech can tune the bike to. Max hp, Max Tq, best ET and a combination of all three. How the tech tunes the bike should be a factor of what the rider wants from it. I don't think I need to go into any detail about that. In a nutshell it comes down to what you like your bike to do best. One final thought. This number 85 hp is well below the 1 hp per cubic inch which is considered to be the bench standard for moderate performance. TQQ numbers often exceed 1 to 1 even in moderately tuned motors. Max performance is when you exceed that standard, so as I said, it isn't really all that big a deal, but I think there's more going on here than what the numbers would lead you to believe

B B
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:26:20 PM by SPIDERMAN »

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 03:02:21 PM »

I'm with SPIDERMAN on this one.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 09:02:27 AM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 04:42:13 PM »

I think everyone except 'd00d missed an important part of Jimp's first post, including me.  I assumed pipes, a/c, and power commander.  But a Procharger is a blower, not an air cleaner.  That changes the entire picture, and I have to change my earlier opinion that this combination couldn't make 85 hp on a stock TC88B.  It could conceivably do better than that, depending on boost levels.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 05:34:56 PM »

Jerry,

You are on the money and I stand corrected.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »

Back in the day when me and Beags were building 96hp 80" Evo's , Magnacharger was advertising 100hp from a stock 80" Evo motor just by bolting on their supercharger. If a Hypercharger is a " "blower" ; on an 88" twin cam motor it should produce well in excess of 100hp. Why the hell would you go spend the kind of money a blower cost ( over $3k) to get less HP and TQ than you could get by having a good port job on your heads, some nice performance cams. a stage 1 breather, open pipes and a PC or SERT dialed in right. You know it's Christmas eve and I should be real charitable here, but peace on earth good will toward men aside, this whole thread is just off. Sorry to be a humbug, but it is what it is and what it is, is wrong for a dozen reasons.

B B

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

Back in the day when me and Beags were building 96hp 80" Evo's , Magnacharger was advertising 100hp from a stock 80" Evo motor just by bolting on their supercharger. If a Hypercharger is a " "blower" ; on an 88" twin cam motor it should produce well in excess of 100hp. Why the hell would you go spend the kind of money a blower cost ( over $3k) to get less HP and TQ than you could get by having a good port job on your heads, some nice performance cams. a stage 1 breather, open pipes and a PC or SERT dialed in right. You know it's Christmas eve and I should be real charitable here, but peace on earth good will toward men aside, this whole thread is just off. Sorry to be a humbug, but it is what it is and what it is, is wrong for a dozen reasons.

B B

Brian

A hypercharger is an air breather assembly from Kuryakyn.
But BB in 1991 my 88" Axtell mountain motored Sporty made 130 H/P.
Only made power from 4500 to 7000 but that was enough to run 10.5's @ 130 all day long.
Was the "U" class (unlimited street) champion in 91 and 92 in the AHDRA.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2006, 08:52:23 AM »

Back in the day when me and Beags were building 96hp 80" Evo's , Magnacharger was advertising 100hp from a stock 80" Evo motor just by bolting on their supercharger. [highlight]If a Hypercharger is a " "blower" ; on an 88" twin cam motor it should produce well in excess of 100hp[/highlight]. Why the hell would you go spend the kind of money a blower cost ( over $3k) to get less HP and TQ than you could get by having a good port job on your heads, some nice performance cams. a stage 1 breather, open pipes and a PC or SERT dialed in right. You know it's Christmas eve and I should be real charitable here, but peace on earth good will toward men aside, this whole thread is just off. [highlight]Sorry to be a humbug, but it is what it is and what it is, is wrong for a dozen reasons. [/highlight]
B B
SPIDERMAN-
According to the ProCharger link I posted above, while running 6 PSI, the otherwise stock TC 88 motor delivered 95HP/89TQ on 91 octane pump gas.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 08:53:27 AM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »

You started a thread and stated some things. I'm not accusing you of anything in that you said from the get go that you were getting info off a website for a product. I was commenting on what you posted. This isn't high school and I don't accept assignments to go off and do a bunch of research on what other people post. I stand by my comments that what was stated ON THIS THREAD did not add up. As to whether the website for this blower contains a law library worth of quantifying statements or not is not up to me to chase down. Next time you start a thread Dude, post everything you have to say up front and then the rest of us can work from the same point in offering comment. That's why I said this whole thread was " off " The manner in which the thread developed was not the way we discuss things around here IMHO

B B

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 02:24:25 PM »

BB-
I did not start the thread. I merely added my opinion and asked for clarification about what you offered.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:32:03 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 12:01:27 PM »

Remember - for us it's the Torque that we really need so don't get too hung up on HP...  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

speedfreek

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 03:05:06 PM »

I've set up and tuned several 88A & B motors with nothing more than SE AC, Pro pipe, SERT, and SE 211 cams that turned out 90-92 hp and 94-96tq.  Dropping the cams, I average 80-82hp, 84-88tq.  You can split hairs about number differences you will never feel, but yes, using a blower on a stock 88b should give you at least 85hp/85tq.  There are cheaper ways though.

Dyno numbers can only be compared as numbers though.  When looking at a dyno pull, disreqard the max values and pay attention to how smooth the line is and where IT'S value is.  Jagged smoothing, overadvance timing, underadvance timing, fuel issues, and correction factors alone can increase a max value 1-5hp with out really giving you anything.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.