Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Where to purchase Extended Warranty  (Read 29833 times)

pm203

• Full CVO Member
Where to purchase Extended Warranty
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »

Who or where is the best place to purchase a Harley Extended Warranty for my 2014? My dealer is always non-negotiable and at full price.
Thanks!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Where to purchase Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »

will be watching this thread.....I need one also :2vrolijk_21:

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »

Jim Palmer Kutter Harley
James Palmer <finance@kutterharley.com>
RETIRED! :fireman:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »

Jim Palmer Kutter Harley
Not sure he's able to do them anymore (see below)...
I believe this is a new requirement to address the issue of people buying from discount dealers outside of their immediate area.  I remember someone posting that information last year when Rebecca at Tri County told them she could no longer sell them the ESP unless they brought the bike in to be inspected, even though it was a brand new bike. 

Harley has been taking many anticompetitive actions in the past few years to restrict discounting of parts & accessories, and this seems to be just a continuation of that anticompetitive stance.  I assume some of their dealers who charge over MSRP and rip off their customers on everything in the store started bending the ears of the new management group and convinced them to stop letting other dealers "steal" sales from them.  The fact that they stopped Rebecca at least a year ago, but Kutter kept selling discounted ESP's until recently, tells me this may be one of those selectively enforced policies as opposed to a total ban affecting all dealerships. :nixweiss:

Jerry

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »

Well I don't know where you live but in my state of New Mexico we have 5 dealers. I would call each of them and ask them for a quote for ESP renewal for your desired # of years. See what kind of prices they come up with for you. I was quoted 3 different prices by 4 different dealers when I was shopping for my bike.

Good luck,
DH

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »

Bought mine on my '12 at discount.  After reading about restrictions mentioned above I called them to inquire. They said mother Harley shut them down from discounting - could still sell but no discount.  Still worth shopping in my opinion as while a dealer may not offer a discounted price they may offer it at list and not inflated. Don't know about all states but if I but locally here in TN there is 9.75% sales tax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »

Bought mine on my '12 at discount.  After reading about restrictions mentioned above I called them to inquire. They said mother Harley shut them down from discounting - could still sell but no discount.  Still worth shopping in my opinion as while a dealer may not offer a discounted price they may offer it at list and not inflated. Don't know about all states but if I but locally here in TN there is 9.75% sales tax!

I don't see how that is even legal in this Country.

I bought my Ford extended contracts from a Ford dealer in Massachusetts.
For Ford, all you have to do is google best ford esp prices and there are three main dealers that heavily discount the programs.
For instance, the full contract for my truck quoted by a local dealer when still under 12K miles was almost $3500.
I purchased the same plan with a mileage addition (bought it when I had 35,900 miles) for $1850 from an online dealer (Greenfield Ford, MA)
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:00:29 PM »

I don't see how that is even legal in this Country.

I bought my Ford extended contracts from a Ford dealer in Massachusetts.
For Ford, all you have to do is google best ford esp prices and there are three main dealers that heavily discount the programs.
For instance, the full contract for my truck quoted by a local dealer when still under 12K miles was almost $3500.
I purchased the same plan with a mileage addition (bought it when I had 35,900 miles) for $1850 from an online dealer (Greenfield Ford, MA)

Supreme Court ruling from 1997

Justices End 96-Year-Old Ban on Price Floors
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »

Send Palmer a email or leave a voice mail. He can still sell you a non HD backed warranty that is just as good as the HD ESP.  In fact I don't think you have to pay the 50 deductible.  He"ll email you info and prices. 

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

Thanks. I will check it out.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »

Got an email today from Kutter.  Looks like they're starting up a separate site for extended warranties.

*Disclaimer* I opened the link and have not gone through it yet. Just wanted to put the link out there for others to look at.

http://www.discountesp.com/
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »

Got an email today from Kutter.  Looks like they're starting up a separate site for extended warranties.

I just went through this in August when I made a 60-month ESP purchase. I did a lot of research - none of the places that use to discount were less than my local dealer and I solicited five quotes. I found this amazing as I figured they'd be the most expensive. Cost was $1,794 with the wheel & tire coverage. I'd call all dealers in your area and compare costs.

Kirk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »

The ESP Kutter is selling is not the H-D endorsed product, but a product offered by a different company.  I'd recommend reading the entire contract before signing anything, just like I do when talking about the Harley endorsed ESP, but this might at least be worth a look.  I'd love to see more dealers do the same thing Kutter is doing when it comes to all the anticompetitive BS Harley has been shoveling at the dealers and customers in recent years.

Jerry
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ from the Kutter site:

Is this Harley Davidson’s Official Extended Service Plan?

Harley Davidson will not allow dealers to sell the CNA administered ESP outside of their local dealership at a discount. This plan is administered by CornerStone United, which provides excellent coverage and top notch customer service. Where Harley Davidson chose CNA to administer their ESP; Suzuki & Arctic Cat chose CornerStone United.

Why don’t you sell the CNA administered plan anymore?

Harley-Davidson no longer allows dealers to sell the CNA administered plan online or outside of their dealership. This mandate turned out to be good news. The plans we offer now, in my opinion, are a great package for riders. The coverage is for all parts covered under the factory warranty, a $0 deductible, and repairs can be done at ANY Harley-Davidson Dealership or State Licensed Repair Shop.

What is covered on the Extended Service Contract?

All components / parts covered under the Harley-Davidson Factory Warranty are covered. The plan was built around coverage instead of exclusions. Page 2 of the contract lists the few exclusions.

How does this plan compare against Harley-Davidson’s CNA administered plan?

This CornerStone United administered plan covers all the components and parts as the Harley-Davidson Manufacturer Warranty. Plus the deductible is always $0. Harley-Davison will charge a $50 deductible at a H-D Dealership and a $100 deductible at a non H-D Dealership. It doesn’t matter where you get your repairs, as long as it is a State Licensed Repair Shop, the deductible is $0!

How are Claims Made?

In the event of a claim, the process is very easy.
1. Bring your Harley to any Authorized Dealership or State Licensed Repair Facility.

2. Show your contract or ID card to the Service Writer.

3. The Repair Facility or You must call the Administrator at 1-866-912-2768 to obtain a Claim Authorization Number. If after hours, Repair Facility must call during the next business day.

Can I buy the plan from you, even though I live elsewhere? (Florida, California, Ohio, etc)

Yes, we can enroll your eligible Motorcycle no matter where you live. Enrollment is electronic via email and phone.

Is my Motorcycle eligible?

Your motorcycle must be covered under the Harley-Davidson Factory Warranty. If your motorcycle is outside of the factory warranty, however currently covered under an Extended Service Plan, contact me for your options.

When does the extended coverage start?

The factory warranty coverage begins the day you purchase the motorcycle. The Extended Service Contract adds to the coverage and extends by an additional 1 to 5 years. Example: 36mo contract will cover the bike for an ADDITIONAL 3 years.

Can the contract be transferred if I sell prior to expiration?

Yes! Any remaining coverage can be transferred during a private party sale. This can help increase the value of your bike. The Service Contract can also be cancelled for a refund in the event of a loss, trade-in, or customer request.

Will my local dealer know that I purchased

When you bring your bike in for service or repairs, you will show your membership card to the service writer. This will notify them of your coverage. From there the Service Department will be able to begin the claims process if needed.

How do I purchase the tire & wheel coverage?

The tire and wheel coverage is a stand-alone contract. Meaning you can buy it separately. The enrollment process is the same. This coverage considerably increases your bike’s value. Yes the tire and wheel contract can be transferred during a private party sale.

Are there any additional fees or taxes?

No. Unless you are a resident of Wisconsin, I don’t collect sales tax. Also there are no hidden fees or shipping charges.

What is the deductible for claims?

There is no deductible! $0 for any covered claim. This is the same for repairs completed at any Harley-Davidson Dealership as well as any State Licensed Repair Shop.

I have a question which is not described here. Can I contact you with more questions?

Please do. The best way to get your questions answered is via email. (finance@kutterharley.com). Feel free to email me or utilize the contact form on top of this page.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »

The ESP Kutter is selling is not the H-D endorsed product, but a product offered by a different company.  I'd recommend reading the entire contract before signing anything, just like I do when talking about the Harley endorsed ESP, but this might at least be worth a look.  I'd love to see more dealers do the same thing Kutter is doing when it comes to all the anticompetitive BS Harley has been shoveling at the dealers and customers in recent years.

Jerry

I thought you'd be one of the first ones to take a good look at it. Like you, I'd love to see more details of the contract, especially the exclusions that were mentioned.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »

I thought you'd be one of the first ones to take a good look at it. Like you, I'd love to see more details of the contract, especially the exclusions that were mentioned.
Just go to his website, and read everything, including exclusions. He even posts prices! I bought my 2nd Harley ESP from them, and I will buy his new plan when my 2nd runs out. The new plan is way cheaper, and my 2nd HD plan was 20% cheaper than the list price. I would never buy  another HD plan because they check your bike over with a fine comb, and if you have anything different they deny the claim. My stealer is starting to dislike them because they are on them like chit, before approval. He said they must be losing a lot of money!

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »

Just go to his website, and read everything, including exclusions. He even posts prices! I bought my 2nd Harley ESP from them, and I will buy his new plan when my 2nd runs out. The new plan is way cheaper, and my 2nd HD plan was 20% cheaper than the list price. I would never buy  another HD plan because they check your bike over with a fine comb, and if you have anything different they deny the claim. My stealer is starting to dislike them because they are on them like chit, before approval. He said they must be losing a lot of money!

tazmun
Missed the big letters that said "click here for fine print"  ::)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »

http://www.discountesp.com/#!esc/c66t

Jerry

Looks pretty typical for an ESP.  The list of what isn't covered is quite long, but it has to be that way because many people try to take advantage.  For instance, they buy an ESP when they buy the bike, modify the crap out of the bike, and then want the ESP to pay to fix something that failed due to the mods.  Or they think the ESP should pay to fix cosmetic things like paint or worn seat covers.

If you actually read all the exclusions, and they are very similar to the CNA product H-D endorses and sells, it becomes quite obvious many people don't read these contracts when you read the threads on sites like this one where people question after the fact what exactly is covered, and bitch because the ESP company denied their claim due to mods or because the contract clearly states they don't cover that particular item (like seats or paint, for instance).  READ THE CONTRACTS BEFORE YOU SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:00:49 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »

Wow - interesting indeed... This web site is new, last August none of this information was available from Jim. I may cancel my CNA policy and switch it over upon review. Thanks for the updates.

essman929

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »

I bought coverage for my 2016 for my Harley from National Repair Solutions.com. They coverage everything I wanted and gave me options.  They cover cars, bikes, ATVs etc. They sell for the same third party as the motorcycle dealership. They also let me make payments to them each month for the warranty. I had the engine placed on it about a year ago and didn't get any problems from the Harley dealership about it.

Here the website page I found for them.
http://www.nationalrepairsolutions.com/motorcycles-extended-warranty

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »

Kutter is a Cornerstone ESP.  Googled the company before I pulled the trigger.  My shop in Dallas say they money is as good as anybody else so no problem honoring it.  No 50 deductible and the price was over a grand less than HD shop quoted me and included tires and wheels.  It's a no brainer to me.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »

I wonder if they service Canadian customers too? I've been thinking of looking into some sort of aftermarket coverage, after reading the 110 engine longevity thread.

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »

I didn't read all the fine print (http://media.wix.com/ugd/9ddac8_43e8432b90484f83bd6d7389c051b1ce.pdf) but I don't think they have the same Hotel and meal coverage as the HD ESP.

If you have a covered breakdown while on the road, you'll receive $75/day (up to $750) for a rental vehicle, $150/day (up to $450) for meal and lodging, and up to $200 for towing to an H-D™ dealership..... and no deductible for covered Expense Reimbursement benefits.

fastboatnut

• Full CVO Member
extended warranty
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »

Thinking about buying a new 2016 road glide cvo, what is the best prices everyone has been getting for them?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »

'them' being what exactly?  the 2016 cvo or the esp?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »

Jim Palmer Kutter Harley

X-2 on Jim, They sell Cornerstone ESP , Which writes for Suzuki, Artic Cat. It's zero deductible, worked great for me on the old '11. I will buy another one from Jim as long as they don't go stupid on price.     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »

Kutter is a Cornerstone ESP.  Googled the company before I pulled the trigger.  My shop in Dallas say they money is as good as anybody else so no problem honoring it.  No 50 deductible and the price was over a grand less than HD shop quoted me and included tires and wheels.  It's a no brainer to me.

X-2 used mine at Maverick HD..worked like a charm.

essman929

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »

I would be careful who you purchase an extended warranty for a motorcycle from. I had one company go out of business, took my money and didn't pay any claims. Come to find out these companies are supposed to be back by an insurance company to be legit. The company I was with apparently back with its own money which wasn't good for me. So you could image paying $2,000 for a motorcycle warranty and then pay another $1500 on top of that. I was very pissed! So please please do your research when you buy any warranty for anything.

I have also had good experience with my current provided MBA http://www.nationalrepairsolutions.com/motorcycles-extended-warranty. They have been around for about 30 years and are in a lot of dealerships. They are backed by an insurance company. They replaced my transmission on my Harley about 6 months ago. The monthly payment was reasonable too.  They didn't give me or my repair shop any hassle. They did send out an inspector which was surprising but they came out quick to look at the transmission. So all in all if you have something break and they pay for claims you can save money and come out ahead. If you pick the wrong company you could wind up paying out of your pocket on top of paying $2k for a warranty.

Love these little guys!

:jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :drummer:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »

so you've had them replace your entire powertrain then?

sounds like you've had pretty bad luck with losing an engine, and a transmission within a year and a half.  what were the issues you've had, out of curiosity?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »

so you've had them replace your entire powertrain then?

sounds like you've had pretty bad luck with losing an engine, and a transmission within a year and a half.  what were the issues you've had, out of curiosity?
You smell the same fishy odor I do?

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 04:17:18 PM »

I would never get an extended warranty.
There's a reason those businesses try to sell theses things, they're not losing any money!
 Consider putting the $2000 into a bank account as your own self funded warranty.
 And here's the bonus,  if you don't use it, you still have the money!

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »

I consider those extended warrantees like making a bet with the insurance company.
 You're betting the bike will have a catastrophic breakdown , their betting it will not, and either way it cost you $2000!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:08 PM »

I consider those extended warrantees like making a bet with the insurance company.
 You're betting the bike will have a catastrophic breakdown , their betting it will not, and either way it cost you $2000!
Based on my experience with H-D for almost 20 years the $2000 ESP is well worth it.  If you keep it long enough (say 7 years for the max time on ESP at time of purchase) and ride it enough that you will have 60 - 70k on it by then the odds are tremendous that you will have some catastrophic failure.  That has been my experience for sure and $2000 won't even make a good down payment on the repair bill.  And don't forget things like conpensators, wheel bearings, audio problems, etc., that also run up the $$ pretty darn quickly.  Sure the ESP company can only make a profit and stay in business if some folks have very little utilization (meaning they don't put all those miles on their bikes) but that is true with any type of insurance but for me it makes sense. 

I never buy ESP for anything else but I wouldn't keep a Harley beyond the factory warranty period with one.  To each his own but that is MHO and experience.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:05:03 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »

Jim Palmer Kutter Harley

X- 2 on Jim. He sells Cornerstone, they write for Artic Cat, Suzuki else. 0 deductible, works like a charm..That 's what I will do again when mine runs out

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »

I can only speak for myself, I purchased a motorcycle to ride; riding a motorcycle will put miles on the odometer, thus, the motor, tires, transmission, ect.. My motorcycle has the 110 motor, it is mechanical which means, to me, many internal moving parts. Therefore, I have a motorcycle with 2 spark plugs, one more than my weed wacker, with many internal moving parts, air cooled, ridden in extreme temperatures for many miles with an idiot sitting in the seat. I don't believe you realize a single lifter imploding in the bottom of the engine case is no less than a 6300. bill (a problem quite common with the 110 motor). Now you could have paid 2100. for 5 years of ESP with a $50. deductible, that is a net of 4150. which does not include all the other covered repairs within the same 5 year period which adds to the net. That to me is an investment, not a bet, unless you don't put miles on the bike; or be looking for 4150. to get your bike out of the shop. I can't quote Cornerstone or Zurich pay schedules to give any numbers but I do know they offer programs similar to the ESP.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »

I can only speak for myself, I purchased a motorcycle to ride; riding a motorcycle will put miles on the odometer, thus, the motor, tires, transmission, ect.. My motorcycle has the 110 motor, it is mechanical which means, to me, many internal moving parts. Therefore, I have a motorcycle with 2 spark plugs, one more than my weed wacker, with many internal moving parts, air cooled, ridden in extreme temperatures for many miles with an idiot sitting in the seat. I don't believe you realize a single lifter imploding in the bottom of the engine case is no less than a 6300. bill (a problem quite common with the 110 motor). Now you could have paid 2100. for 5 years of ESP with a $50. deductible, that is a net of 4150. which does not include all the other covered repairs within the same 5 year period which adds to the net. That to me is an investment, not a bet, unless you don't put miles on the bike; or be looking for 4150. to get your bike out of the shop. I can't quote Cornerstone or Zurich pay schedules to give any numbers but I do know they offer programs similar to the ESP.

Right you are.  I got a copy of the repair order for the engine rebuild on my 2012 and it was $5,100 and that did not include cases - but flywheel on up.  And during the 5 years and 68k I had the bike ESP paid for wheel bearings, iPod connecting cable, audio overlay harness to passenger communications hook up, ignition switch which ceased to work with power locks, XM radio module, and leaking oil cooler.

And when I traded for the 2017 I had 2 years remaining on the 2012's ESP and got a $400 refund.  So for me it was a very smart investment to purchase the 7 year ESP shortly after I got the bike.  If you ride them they will break.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 09:08:00 AM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »

My 2014 RK is now 6 moths out of the HD warranty.  Are there any ESPs that I can purchase now on a bike that I own with no existing warranty or ESP?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »

My 2014 RK is now 6 moths out of the HD warranty.  Are there any ESPs that I can purchase now on a bike that I own with no existing warranty or ESP?
Yes. The one offered by  your dealer but I believe there is a 30 day "no claims approved" wait time meaning it doesn't go into effect for 30 days. Someone will correct me on this or explain it better.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »

plus, I think they have to inspect the bike as well.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »

plus, I think they have to inspect the bike as well.
I don't remember having to do that when I bought the esp on my '11 that I bought used. That being said, the '11 was still under factory warranty when I bought the esp from Kutter though. Just more info to toss out there.

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »

The guys with the doomsday scenarios are missing the point of this being a bad investment.    The fact is that it is incredibly rare that this will ever pay off as an investment.   For every story like this, they are a thousand where it was just a waste of money.   This is something the insurance companies figured out along time ago, which is why they are happy to sell these policy's.   For a guy that buys a new bike about every four years, he would have most likely lost $10,000 in these policies since the year 2000.

If you are one of the guys in the 'peace of mind' camp, remember this, they will deny you if it all possible.   Was the bike properly maintained, do you have proof of it, could it have been prevented, did you modify the bike, at all?  Oh, and if it looks like this is going to be losing venture for them because of some common issue, they can just close the insurance portion of the company you dealt with.

You would be better off putting $2000 per bike aside in a 'repair' fund, or buying lottery tickets than making a habit of buying these extended protection plans.

Imagine buying a $2000 lottery ticket where the prize is worth less than the $2000 you spent.

Remember when you make a bet with the insurance company that your bike will break, they know a lot more about what they're doing then you do.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »

The guys with the doomsday scenarios are missing the point of this being a bad investment.    The fact is that it is incredibly rare that this will ever pay off as an investment.   For every story like this, they are a thousand where it was just a waste of money.   This is something the insurance companies figured out along time ago, which is why they are happy to sell these policy's.   For a guy that buys a new bike about every four years, he would have most likely lost $10,000 in these policies since the year 2000.

If you are one of the guys in the 'peace of mind' camp, remember this, they will deny you if it all possible.   Was the bike properly maintained, do you have proof of it, could it have been prevented, did you modify the bike, at all?  Oh, and if it looks like this is going to be losing venture for them because of some common issue, they can just close the insurance portion of the company you dealt with.

You would be better off putting $2000 per bike aside in a 'repair' fund, or buying lottery tickets than making a habit of buying these extended protection plans.

Imagine buying a $2000 lottery ticket where the prize is worth less than the $2000 you spent.

Remember when you make a bet with the insurance company that your bike will break, they know a lot more about what they're doing then you do.
I think both of us are correct within certain parameters - that being mileage ridden before sale or trade.  I totally agree that insurance companies (in fact no company) can stay in business shelling out more than they take in.  So what you are doing whenever you purchase any type of insurance is laying off the risk that you are not willing to retain.  There is no 'bet' that your bike is going to break because it will given enough time and miles.  What you are 'betting' if you want to call it that is that yours will break prematurely or at least before you are through with it.

Owners who do not ride much (and there are quite a lot of them) probably 'lose' out and have made a bad investment in their ESP.  But those of us who rack up the miles have a much greater chance of coming out ahead by buying the ESP.  I've had ESP on 5 touring H-Ds and I promise that each one of them more than paid for itself . . . and I don't think my experience is all that unusual. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone what they should do but I am glad to have access to the knowledge and experience of many others who have been through this and hopefully that will assist them in making the decision if the ESP is a worthwhile expenditure.

Now with H-D getting so pricey (maybe because the claims are ramping up) I plan to buy the Cornerstone ESP sometime before my factory warranty runs out on my '17.  Then again I may just trade it at that point but if I do keep it I will have an ESP on it for sure. 

IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »

That's your opinion journeyman.  I have had the extended warranty on 3 HD bikes.  Each of the 3 was to my favor, and 1 of those was several thousand dollars ahead, which would have paid for the cost of all 3 alone.  And yes I count the $50 deductible. The bikes with a lot of electronics are more prone to need repair, less so on Sportys of course.

If somebody rides a only few miles a year (1-2,000 miles) extended warranty is probably not a good idea.  If somebody rides 6-10,000 miles a year or more, is probably a good idea if the bike is kept past the 2 year factory warranty.  I know quite a few people who ride (Ultras, Road Glides, Road Kings) a lot, and each of them is very happy to have the extended warranty since it has saved all them them more than it cost.

I wait until the factory warranty is up & then purchase, have not seen the need to buy the extended warranty at time of purchase.  Others do, not a bad decision just one I have not seen the value in.

The insurance company that sells these would do actuarial tables to calculate risk. The assumption is: people who buy bikes think they will be riding them more than they will be.  From experience, a lot of Harleys are not ridden that much - 10 year old bikes with 2,500 - 5,000 miles on them can be found for sale. Lots of 2-5 year old bikes with very low miles are out there.  For those who do not ride that much, chances of something breaking are much less.  That's where the selling company wins their bet.  Those who ride more unfortunately usually win that warranty bet with them as well.  Nature of the beast.

**Edit in: Ultrafxr you were posting at the same time as I was.  All good points.  Will also be checking out Cornerstone.  Interested  to see if most HD dealers will honor it as well as the Indie network.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:34:02 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »

That's your opinion journeyman.  I have had the extended warranty on 3 HD bikes.  Each of the 3 was to my favor, and 1 of those was several thousand dollars ahead, which would have paid for the cost of all 3 alone.  And yes I count the $50 deductible. The bikes with a lot of electronics are more prone to need repair, less so on Sportys of course.

If somebody rides a only few miles a year (1-2,000 miles) extended warranty is probably not a good idea.  If somebody rides 6-10,000 miles a year or more, is probably a good idea if the bike is kept past the 2 year factory warranty.  I know quite a few people who ride (Ultras, Road Glides, Road Kings) a lot, and each of them is very happy to have the extended warranty since it has saved all them them more than it cost.

I wait until the factory warranty is up & then purchase, have not seen the need to buy the extended warranty at time of purchase.  Others do, not a bad decision just one I have not seen the value in.

The insurance company that sells these would do actuarial tables to calculate risk. The assumption is: people who buy bikes think they will be riding them more than they will be.  From experience, a lot of Harleys are not ridden that much - 10 year old bikes with 2,500 - 5,000 miles on them can be found for sale. Lots of 2-5 year old bikes with very low miles are out there.  For those who do not ride that much, chances of something breaking are much less.  That's where the selling company wins their bet.  Those who ride more unfortunately usually win that warranty bet with them as well.  Nature of the beast.

**Edit in: Ultrafxr you were posting at the same time as I was.  All good points.  Will also be checking out Cornerstone.  Interested  to see if most HD dealers will honor it as well as the Indie network.

Everyone like to think they made the best decision, and it seems to have worked out OK for you but, you are 3 for 3 with bikes that had catastrophic breakdowns?  You have to admit this does not accurately reflect what the average guy is to expect, or possibly ever even hear of.

The average CVO owner must have made some good financial decisions in order to get one, not trying to single you out personally, just ESP plans are just not one of them.

Mileage-wise, I have been averaging 14k per year since adding the touring lineup in 2009, and still own my Shovelhead from the 80s which has 100k plus miles on it.   If I combine the cost of all the breakdowns on all my Harleys in all those years, it does not add up to the cost of one ESP plan.  Granted I stay on top of my own equipment as PMs require.

Three of my last four bikes needed some sort of warranty work during the two year factory warranty period, nothing major.  But with each bike the service manager challenged me on honoring the warranty, Factory warranties!  The most ridiculous of which had to do with the Harmon Kardon radio, it stopped working.  Manager said he could deny the warranty based on my replacing slip on mufflers.  He said they were not factory, therefore the harmonics of the whole bike are changed, and if he choose to write that in the repair notes, my warranty would be over.  Why would anyone want to pay to extend that relationship?   The cost of a flat rate Radio exchange at Iron Cross was $150 at that time, a lot less than any ESP! 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »

Everyone like to think they made the best decision, and it seems to have worked out OK for you but, you are 3 for 3 with bikes that had catastrophic breakdowns?  You have to admit this does not accurately reflect what the average guy is to expect, or possibly ever even hear of.

The average CVO owner must have made some good financial decisions in order to get one, not trying to single you out personally, just ESP plans are just not one of them.

Mileage-wise, I have been averaging 14k per year since adding the touring lineup in 2009, and still own my Shovelhead from the 80s which has 100k plus miles on it.   If I combine the cost of all the breakdowns on all my Harleys in all those years, it does not add up to the cost of one ESP plan.  Granted I stay on top of my own equipment as PMs require.

Three of my last four bikes needed some sort of warranty work during the two year factory warranty period, nothing major.  But with each bike the service manager challenged me on honoring the warranty, Factory warranties!  The most ridiculous of which had to do with the Harmon Kardon radio, it stopped working.  Manager said he could deny the warranty based on my replacing slip on mufflers.  He said they were not factory, therefore the harmonics of the whole bike are changed, and if he choose to write that in the repair notes, my warranty would be over.  Why would anyone want to pay to extend that relationship?   The cost of a flat rate Radio exchange at Iron Cross was $150 at that time, a lot less than any ESP!

No not all had huge breakdowns.  One did.  Radios (multiples) starters, wheel bearing, calipers/rotors, oil leaks (multiples), heated grip multiple failures, wiring issues (multiples), and so on. Parts alone each of the other 2 covered the warranty costs.  Add $100 an hour labor, it adds up quick.  I have friends who do not purchase extended warranties.  Several now regret it, several have changed their minds & as they have moved to Ultras have purchased them.  Frankly I know of no one who is upset at owning an ESP.  To each their own.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:54:46 PM by iski »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »

Back to the OP's question - where to purchase ESP?  I think we've given some excellent answers but we've gone off topic about the advisability of ESPs in general.   :jack:

That horse is dead and I'm outta here.   :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

IBA member # 45520

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

Sounds like it's time to find a new dealer. :zstupid:

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »

Sounds like it's time to find a new dealer. :zstupid:

I was thinking the same thing!

:confused5:

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 11:46:52 PM »

journeyman sound like you have a demon of a Service Manager you didn't handle and it's poisoned your outlook. That is as nice as I can put it. A lot of nice people have put their honest opinions up to be digested with real case scenarios; now keep in mind other parts of the board which mention 110 engine longevity and such. But you just want to chew on it.

Now here is a real scenario: My 2009 FLTRSE3 83696 miles, blown engine, D and D 2 into 1 Boss Exhaust, Screamin Eagle Pro Race Tuner towed into the Dealer; Dealer breaks down the motor, calls ESP, ESP inspects it, ESP calls back to approve the work. The work was done Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and S&S Premium Lifters and my cost $87. and some change. Nobody inquiring about my non cat 2 into 1 pipes or the Pro Race Tuner,Total of the Invoice $6300.
So that $2000. you put aside will not be enough, not even if you doubled it or tripled it.

What do you think journeyman? The damn radio blew the engine, that's what must of happen, what do you think the odds (gamble) the Service Manager was going to intimidate and or bullcrap me and tell me my motor wasn't covered due to the radio being played too loud, thus, destroying the internal components of the motor? Answer: He didn't attempt it he just repaired the motorcycle which brought in revenue to the shop, he did his job.

Eight out of eight that is how many of us in my group here in Las Vegas have Extended Warranties in excess of 16 years and the least net per contact was +$2958. and that person never has a bike more than 3 - 4 years. Keep in mind the first two years are warranty now years ago it was one year warranty for non CVO motorcycles not too long ago.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:56:09 PM by FLTRCVO »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »

Let me say, I have never bought and ESP, I'm on my 5th CVO since 2009.  That said, I have considered it very hard.  The CVO 110 has a very poor reliability record, much worse than the 88, 96 and 103 engines.  They are notorious for failed lifter and compensators.

I personally know 5 people, and and 7 bikes that have had lifter failures, obviously of those people have had it happen twice.

I put high miles on my bikes in a short time.  My 09 CVO with 46K on it when I traded it had the lifters fail on the first demo after the dealer owned it.  It had two compensators while I owned it.  My 12 had a failed regulator and compensator before I traded it.  My 13 CVO has had zero issues, but I replaced the lifters with 5K on the bike.  My 15 CVO Road Glide Ultra lifters failed with 43800 miles on the bike, at 2 years and 10 days old, Motor had to be replaced.

So I also know 3 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultras that have had the motor replaced counting mine.

Other than my 13 CVO which with a help of a friend the motor was built right, if I am going to keep the bike over two years on a 110 motor, it will have an ESP.

I am hope that my 114 M8 has a better track record than the 110. That said, I have no ESP on it. 

I do understand people with an ESP on a 110 bike.  I do not on a 103 bike or a 96 bike.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »

my question would be, why would anyone pay to buy anything from a dealership like that?  i would travel further to avoid a dealer like that, even if it was just to buy an oil filter.

eta:  others said the same thing before i posted... sorry.

but just to add, i bought the esp for my wife's bike.  not because she puts a lot of miles on it, but because we do like to take some road trips and 'peace of mind' while on the road was more than worth the amount i spent.  turned out, she had the abs module go out.  new abs module, new rear master cylinder, with bleeding and labor bill came out over $1000.  still have 4 years left on the esp, more than half paid for.

my problem is that if i hadn't bought the esp, i wouldn't have had the money to fix her bike.  the $1800 i spent on the esp is gone.  if i hadn't bought the esp, i would have spent it on something else.  when her bike broke down, it was a whole lot easier to come up with $50, then what the repair bill would have been.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:22:55 PM by skratch »

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »

Maybe you missed:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »

no, didn't miss that.  but I didn't see how long you've had a 110.  the 88s, 96s, 103s are pretty stout platforms, while the 110 is known to be fairly problematic.  and most of the issues are not things that would be noticed during routine pm.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »

Maybe you missed:
  You were blessed my son, consider you self extremely fortunate. There are many wrenches / members on this site that have made a hell of a lot more than $2000. per episode on repairing the 110 motors that suffered a premature catastrophic failures. However, it appears more individuals are in the affirmative with regard to the Extended Warranty being a positive thing; yet you continue to wear like burlap.

My distrust for the Motor Company came with the release of the Evolution motor, (I see you didn't list that motor) infamous for leaking oil, from that point on it was Extended Warranty all the way because all the repairs by the dealers seemed to be experimental during the EVO days. As previously stated, it has been a true investment, if fact it is the only investment I made that wasn't affected by the recession.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:46:17 PM by FLTRCVO »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:37 AM »

Maybe you missed:

Maybe you missed a my two year, ten day old CVO that the lifters had catastrophic failure and the motor had to be replaced, 43,800 miles on the bike, or my friends 15 CVO Road Glide ultra that also had to have the motor replaced with 35K on it, luckily his was still under factory warranty.  Or my 09 that with 46K on it had the lifters fail taking out the cam.

Pretty good reasons for an ESP if your keeping the bike.  3 of my 4 CVO's have and major issues.  If I kept them longer than two years I sure would look hard at an ESP.  Most do not have 40K on their bike in 2 years.  All of my issues have been between 30 and 46K lucky for me all covered under warranty, but if I put 10 or 15K a year on those bikes, all would have been out of pocket.

The bike with no issues, the motor was built with only 2500 miles on the bike with higher quality parts.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »

I will just add that while I don't doubt that there are occasional problems with the 110, the fact is that if the ESP companies were losing on insuring 110s (they have had 10 years worth of claims now to determine if that is the case), you can bet they would correct the problem via a ridiculous price increase on 110 ESPs.  Like it or not, the ESP companies WIN overall, or they would not be in business to pay for the occasional large repair.  They employ very smart number crunchers who determine the price to charge for their product to ensure that they win.

On forums like this people post all their problems - for each, there are hundreds or thousands of others that will never experience the seemingly "huge issues" that the minority continually bring up. I don't think anyone is "blessed or extremely fortunate" because they have not had 110 issues - that just can't be the case!

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »

I will just add that while I don't doubt that there are occasional problems with the 110, the fact is that if the ESP companies were losing on insuring 110s (they have had 10 years worth of claims now to determine if that is the case), you can bet they would correct the problem via a ridiculous price increase on 110 ESPs.  Like it or not, the ESP companies WIN overall, or they would not be in business to pay for the occasional large repair.  They employ very smart number crunchers who determine the price to charge for their product to ensure that they win.

On forums like this people post all their problems - for each, there are hundreds or thousands of others that will never experience the seemingly "huge issues" that the minority continually bring up. I don't think anyone is "blessed or extremely fortunate" because they have not had 110 issues - that just can't be the case!

Finally some common sense!  The guys with the exploding engines are killing me : )

The exploding engine guys are starting to sound like cases of neglect.    I'm actually surprised those things aren't getting challenged.   A little TLC goes a long way!  Reminds me of how my mom would drive her car without oil until it broke down.

When my 2011sg started pinging at 12k, I addressed it, tuned it to retard the timing.    When the engine started getting loud it 40k,  I addressed it, replaced the lifters, traded it 10k later.   No exploding engine.  No ESP.  Just some attention to details and PM.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »

Go ahead & delete it, but dammit it fits.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »

Go ahead & delete it, but dammit it fits.
:2vrolijk_21:

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »

True, the average miles driven by a Harley owner is less than 4,000 miles per year; the same ones that want to just say they own a Harley, paid more than MSRP, and only ride to the Dealerships on weekends wearing their brand new just released Harley garb to pose. 

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »

journeyman, your statement "The exploding engine guys are starting to sound like cases of neglect", I had a lifter implode in engine case, should I have swapped out the lifter while I was performing my 2500 mile P.M., if so, the Service Manual is missing that section; Was there oil in it? Yes; Was the oil up to almost filled? Yes; Did I bring this bike to the Dealer and inform them of a lifter issue in advance? Yes; Did the Service Adviser tell me according to the tech the noise I am calling a lifter noise is actually pinging due to ambient temperature? Yes; Did I go home, dump the oil, pull the oil filter saw it in half and find a pile of metal in the filter and oil plug? Yes; Did I call the Service Manager and inform him of the aforementioned situation? You bet I did, and I told him to record our conversation on the invoice. I went down to see the General Manager to informed him of the situation, the Service Manager came out and stood by his techs diagnosis. I stated, the lifter is making noise the next time it will be getting towed in. I have been riding this bike since 2009 every summer in Las Vegas and my bike don't ping.
So I know your not referring to my so-called exploding engine, or accusing me of neglecting motorcycle maintenance, because this was chronicled in the proper thread after you joined but I guess you missed it or read it and didn't comprehend it or your barb simply wasn't directed at me. If so I am so sincerely sorry for this miniature bash to a Newbie.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »

True, the average miles driven by a Harley owner is less than 4,000 miles per year; the same ones that want to just say they own a Harley, paid more than MSRP, and only ride to the Dealerships on weekends wearing their brand new just released Harley garb to pose.

I always love these blanket statements from "true bikers".  I put 2,400 miles on my bike last year and was pretty happy about it.  I have two young boys who take up a lot of my time, which is great.  I have been riding on two wheels since I was 7 (41 now), still race motocross, and love anything that has to do with motorcycles.  If it makes you feel better to see me as a "poser" good for you!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »

Finally some common sense!  The guys with the exploding engines are killing me : )

The exploding engine guys are starting to sound like cases of neglect.    I'm actually surprised those things aren't getting challenged.   A little TLC goes a long way!  Reminds me of how my mom would drive her car without oil until it broke down.

When my 2011sg started pinging at 12k, I addressed it, tuned it to retard the timing.    When the engine started getting loud it 40k,  I addressed it, replaced the lifters, traded it 10k later.   No exploding engine.  No ESP.  Just some attention to details and PM.

I am sure you are referring to me with the failing engines.  I can rest assure you my bikes a very well cared for.  They receive all required maintenance and then some.  My 15 SERGU was in twice due to my complaining of noisy lifters.  HD refused to replace them.  The bike was under warranty and I wanted them replaced, but they would not at the 40K service.  At 43800 miles, three weeks later, the lifters failed and took out the engine, metal all through it.  This was ten days past the two year warranty.  Compensator had been replaced in that bike also due to my insistence. 

My very good friend who's engine was replaced at 35K miles in a 15 SERGU takes better care of his bikes than anybody I have ever met.  Again his was only 18 months old.

I have never had an ESP, but on a 110 I was keeping more than 2 years I would consider it.  Or I would build the motor right as has been done on my 13 CVO King.  I fully understand those who can not replace their own lifters, or compensator or such getting an ESP on a CVO 110 they are keeping 5 or 7 years.

My built CVO King is ridden much harder than my bikes I use for trips.  Zero issues with a hi hp and big torque 110 built to 117.  No one issue.  Reason is better bearings, better tolerances and Much better Lifters and better behive valve springs.

So was your bike under warranty at 40K when you replaced the lifters?

If your bike was under warranty, and your lifters were noisy and HD refused to replace them, would you go a head and replace them?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:50:02 AM by FLSTFI Dave »

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »

I am sure you are referring to me with the failing engines.  I can rest assure you my bikes a very well cared for.  They receive all required maintenance and then some.  My 15 SERGU was in twice due to my complaining of noisy lifters.  HD refused to replace them.  The bike was under warranty and I wanted them replaced, but they would not at the 40K service.  At 43800 miles, three weeks later, the lifters failed and took out the engine, metal all through it.  This was ten days past the two year warranty.  Compensator had been replaced in that bike also due to my insistence. 

My very good friend who's engine was replaced at 35K miles in a 15 SERGU takes better care of his bikes than anybody I have ever met.  Again his was only 18 months old.

I have never had an ESP, but on a 110 I was keeping more than 2 years I would consider it.  Or I would build the motor right as has been done on my 13 CVO King.  I fully understand those who can not replace their own lifters, or compensator or such getting an ESP on a CVO 110 they are keeping 5 or 7 years.

My built CVO King is ridden much harder than my bikes I use for trips.  Zero issues with a hi hp and big torque 110 built to 117.  No one issue.  Reason is better bearings, better tolerances and Much better Lifters and better behive valve springs.

So was your bike under warranty at 40K when you replaced the lifters?

If your bike was under warranty, and your lifters were noisy and HD refused to replace them, would you go a head and replace them?

Didn't mean to single anyone out personally Dave.  Started out trying to trow in some good advice about Warranties and paying for them based on my experiences.

I've been riding Harleys for decades, with many different circles of friends; the burnout/wheelie guys, the cross country guys, the garage queen guys, the horsepower guys, I've put on 100k miles, twice over.  In all those years I can only remember once where a repair was so extensive it cost more than an ESP.  It was a horsepower guy. 
On the other side, I've had a more than a few encounters with minor warranty issues, where the service manager was a prick and threatened to not cover the factory warranty!  Such as was the case with your lifter issue.  No way would I ever want to pay to extend that relationship, and yes it's not the same dealership.

Back to the circle of friends,  the crazy thing is here is...  it seems everyone's bike here has a major breakdown.  I'll call this group the, exploding engine guys!  Again not to single anyone out in particular.  Just seems crazy to me that this is the consensus.

To answer you question about the lifters at 40k.  I'm fortunate to be mechanically inclined and I pay close attention every detail.  The lifters were installed by myself under what I consider normal maintenance, for few hundred dollars (Gaterman's #GP1023). Problem solved.  Something I learned during the shovelhead years.  Still a guy could pay for the labor at a dealer for much less than the cost of an ESP!  Or neglect the issue until it becomes catastrophic.  It seems the exploding engine guys may be practicing the later of two, or in your case warranty denied.  Glad to hear they covered it, you are fortunate!

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »

I always love these blanket statements from "true bikers".  I put 2,400 miles on my bike last year and was pretty happy about it.  I have two young boys who take up a lot of my time, which is great.  I have been riding on two wheels since I was 7 (41 now), still race motocross, and love anything that has to do with motorcycles.  If it makes you feel better to see me as a "poser" good for you!
Hopefully you are more thorough with your reading comprehension in what ever profession you are in at age 41. The sub thread subject was regarding cost to mileage and how the ESP could survive all the major pay outs. I made a pretty descriptive picture of the type of individuals who purchased the ESP and didn't / don't use it at the rate of others who put serious miles on their bikes. However, should you take offense to my description which was not a blanket statement at all; it clearly stated "paid more than MSRP, and only ride to the Dealerships on weekends wearing their brand new just released Harley garb to pose".
(this is the definition of poser in bold, only you know)
Now, you, yourself have called yourself a poser, nobody accused or insinuated you were a poser.

When people hunt, they should make sure they know how to hunt or the end result is an injured so-called hunter.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:38:43 AM by FLTRCVO »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 07:54:22 PM »

This thread is entertaining.  Not for good reasons necessarily.  Entertaining nonetheless.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »

This thread is entertaining.  Not for good reasons necessarily.  Entertaining nonetheless.

Thanx

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »

Cute dolls!

TheDevilDawg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »

I bought coverage for my 2016 for my Harley from National Repair Solutions.com. They coverage everything I wanted and gave me options.  They cover cars, bikes, ATVs etc. They sell for the same third party as the motorcycle dealership. They also let me make payments to them each month for the warranty. I had the engine placed on it about a year ago and didn't get any problems from the Harley dealership about it.

I called the number from web site
844.674.0220-said they dont cover motorcycle wtf ?

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »

Not sure you'd want to purchase ESP from them in any case.  BBB has a D- rating, they are not accredited and BBB has a consumer warning about them:

Alerts & Actions
PATTERN OF COMPLAINT
BBB is urging consumers to use caution when considering doing business with National Repair Solutions, an extended service contract company.  BBB has received consumer complaints alleging delays in honoring warranty claims, failure to cancel contracts, failure to issue a refund, misleading advertisement and overall poor customer service.

On September 8, 2016, BBB mailed the company a letter referencing these complaints.  The company did not respond to our letter.

IBA member # 45520

TheDevilDawg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »

UPDATE...good lookin out ULTRAFXR
Just got off the phone w discount esp aka Cathy at Boardtracker
844 778 9175
5 year including wheel & tire $1698
Simple no brainer
Courteous professional easy 15 min call
Like 337 a year / .92 cents a day on 15 CVO Streetglide w 10,000 miles
Factory warranty expires Feb 2017
For me well worth the peace of mind riding the roads to wilderness
Highly recommend calling her today....doesn't hurt to ask about payment options, if your saving for upgrades as many of us are
Peace

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »

UPDATE...good lookin out ULTRAFXR
Just got off the phone w discount esp aka Cathy at Boardtracker
844 778 9175
Simple no brainer
Courteous professional easy 15 min call
Like 337 a year / .92 cents a day on 15 CVO Streetglide w 10,000 miles
Factory warranty expires Feb 2017
For me well worth the peace of mind riding the roads to wilderness
Highly recommend calling her today....doesn't hurt to ask about payment options, if your saving for upgrades as many of us are
Peace
Glad that worked out for you.  I purchased the W & T only on my new '17 but if I do keep it beyond the moco warranty I will be getting the mechanical ESP from them also.

IBA member # 45520

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

..........Just got off the phone w discount esp aka Cathy at Boardtracker
844 778 9175
Simple no brainer
Hey TDD .......I agree with your "wilderness" reference. My biggest concern has been breaking down while on a road trip far from home :'(! I just got a quote from Jim Palmer of Discount ESP with the identical quote of $1698 for my 2015 FLTRUSE. Is this a coincidence ....or is Boardtracker HD simply using Discount ESP? Either way, any compelling reason to go with Boardtracker rather than Discount ESP? Also wondering if the wheel & tire warranty is worth it :nixweiss:?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »

Hey TDD .......I agree with your "wilderness" reference. My biggest concern has been breaking down while on a road trip far from home :'(! I just got a quote from Jim Palmer of Discount ESP with the identical quote of $1698 for my 2015 FLTRUSE. Is this a coincidence ....or is Boardtracker HD simply using Discount ESP? Either way, any compelling reason to go with Boardtracker rather than Discount ESP? Also wondering if the wheel & tire warranty is worth it :nixweiss:?
Jim Palmer is the F&I guy at Boardtracker H-D.  They market the Cornerstone ESP under the Discount ESP name as best I can tell.  It is a bit confusing and their website(s) are also.  I purchased the wheel and tire only so far on my 2017 CVO Limited.  Pretty cheap and will pay for itself with one rear tire replacement.  On my 2012 I had three rear tires replaced by ESP due to picking up nails in them.    If I keep the bike beyond factory warranty I will be adding the mechanical ESP coverage through them also.

IBA member # 45520

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »

Jim Palmer is the F&I guy at Boardtracker H-D.  They market the Cornerstone ESP under the Discount ESP name as best I can tell.  It is a bit confusing and their website(s) are also.  I purchased the wheel and tire only so far on my 2017 CVO Limited.  Pretty cheap and will pay for itself with one rear tire replacement.  On my 2012 I had three rear tires replaced by ESP due to picking up nails in them.    If I keep the bike beyond factory warranty I will be adding the mechanical ESP coverage through them also.

Bought the " Cornerstone" ESP for Jim @ Boardtracker. Paid like clockwork on my '11 , will do that again on my '16 when it runs out. THE zero deductible is nice

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »

Thanks for clarifying ultrafxr ..........I went for the full $1698 5 years package and will be happy to not file any claims. Worth it for the peace of mind while road tripping far from home :2vrolijk_21:!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »

Jim Palmer Kutter Harley

X-2. He sells Cornerstone, had one, damn sure buy another when the HD warranty goes away

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »

X-2. He sells Cornerstone, had one, damn sure buy another when the HD warranty goes away
Just to clarify, per ultrafxr Jim Palmer is the Finance & Insurance guy at Boardtracker H-D (the Kutter connection is circa 2014) and sells the ESP via DiscountESP.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »

Just got the 5 year extended warranty and tire and wheel package from Discount ESP. I did it online and it took all of about 5 minutes. Thanks for recommending them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:13:27 AM by 4fun »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 21 queries.