Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ECM and Power Commander  (Read 3437 times)

Bagger

ECM and Power Commander
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »

I'm trying to figure out the use of a Power Commander with a TC 103 and get my homework accurately completed BEFORE I start ordering parts and making dyno appoinmtents.  I have plenty of experience with PCIIIUSB and a Stage 1 ECM on a TC 88.  I am of the thought that since I had a SE air cleaner and V&H pipes on my old TC 88 bike (pre- 95" mod) that it would be a good idea to have the Stage 1 ECM flash even though I planned to use a PCIIIUSB.  I believe this because: 1) the Stage 1 ECM flash increases rev limit to 6200 rpm, and 2) if the PCIIIUSB ever failed, I'd have the Stage 1 ECM flash to fall back on, so I could get home without burning up my engine, which would be running WAY too lean with an SE air cleaner, V&H pipes and a stock ECM.
On my 06 SEUC I'm running a SE air cleaner and stock pipes/mufflers and whatever it is HD is calling their ECM flash for TC 103 bikes with SE air cleaners and SE mufflers, which is loaded via the Digital Technician (DT).  I chose to keep my stock mufflers because this is the first bike I've ever had that isn't loud...........and I noticed that Renea likes to ride more often now, but that is neither here nor there.
Renea has recently succombed to my pleas for a set of V&H TDs with Oval slip-ons.  When I do this, I want to use a PC for tuning.  That said, and since there are no maps on the PC website for my proposed equipment, and since I have no idea what HD is calling the flash they put in my ECM, I do not have a baseline from which to start tweaking.  My assumption is I'm going to have to install the pipes and PC, and trailer it to a dyno.  
First question:  Is my assumption in the last paragraph accurate?  
Second question:  What is HD calling the ECM flash for TC 103 bikes with SE air cleaners and SE mufflers?
Third question:  Does anyone have a baseline PC map for my proposed configuration?

Thanks,

Henry  

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: ECM and Power Commander
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »

Bagger,
V&H has maps for the PC and the 103, they just don't have them on their site.  You'll have to call and get them to fax it to you.  That's the best route, otherwise, trying to actually talk to the 1 guy that handles it is next to impossible.  I finally got settings faxed to me- 06SEUC with roll your own a/c and HD slip on's, which we were given FP-0545.  She rides it and says it's marginally better than stock, but it still couldn't keep up with her 01 SERG with a stage 1, a/c and opened stock pipes.  You'll have to check w/ your dealer to see if you have a stage 1 download, or something else.  If you've got just an update and not the stage 1, then the FP-0304 map should do what you need.  Just call the tech line (562)921-5388, BUT you'll have to know what you've got in the ECM before you call.  You can try emailing them tech@vanceandhines.com, but I never got a response when I tried.  I got the PC from no-rain (THANKS!), and it had his settings in it, but off the top of my head, I don't know what his is set up like, though I have those settings if you find his is close to yours.
arctic
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 10:37:42 PM by arcticdude »
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Bagger

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:33:11 PM »

Bagger,
V&H has maps for the PC and the 103, they just don't have them on their site.  You'll have to call and get them to fax it to you.  That's the best route, otherwise, trying to actually talk to the 1 guy that handles it is next to impossible.  I finally got settings faxed to me- 06SEUC with roll your own a/c and HD slip on's, which we were given FP-0545.  She rides it and says it's marginally better than stock, but it still couldn't keep up with her 01 SERG with a stage 1, a/c and opened stock pipes.  [highlight]Just call the tech line.[/highlight]
arctic

Thanks.  I'll do that..........and brace myself for Fuel Pak marketing!  ;D

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »

DOH!!!  ::) :o

Obviously, I'm thinking Fuelpak we've got, not the PC you've got. Sorry 'bout that!

:-X

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:06:12 PM »

I'm trying to figure out the use of a Power Commander with a TC 103 and get my homework accurately completed BEFORE I start ordering parts and making dyno appoinmtents.  I have plenty of experience with PCIIIUSB and a Stage 1 ECM on a TC 88.  I am of the thought that since I had a SE air cleaner and V&H pipes on my old TC 88 bike (pre- 95" mod) that it would be a good idea to have the Stage 1 ECM flash even though I planned to use a PCIIIUSB.  I believe this because: 1) the Stage 1 ECM flash increases rev limit to 6200 rpm, and 2) if the PCIIIUSB ever failed, I'd have the Stage 1 ECM flash to fall back on, so I could get home without burning up my engine, which would be running WAY too lean with an SE air cleaner, V&H pipes and a stock ECM.
On my 06 SEUC I'm running a SE air cleaner and stock pipes/mufflers and whatever it is HD is calling their ECM flash for TC 103 bikes with SE air cleaners and SE mufflers, which is loaded via the Digital Technician (DT).  I chose to keep my stock mufflers because this is the first bike I've ever had that isn't loud...........and I noticed that Renea likes to ride more often now, but that is neither here nor there.
Renea has recently succombed to my pleas for a set of V&H TDs with Oval slip-ons.  When I do this, I want to use a PC for tuning.  That said, and since there are no maps on the PC website for my proposed equipment, and since I have no idea what HD is calling the flash they put in my ECM, I do not have a baseline from which to start tweaking.  My assumption is I'm going to have to install the pipes and PC, and trailer it to a dyno.  
First question:  Is my assumption in the last paragraph accurate?  
Second question:  What is HD calling the ECM flash for TC 103 bikes with SE air cleaners and SE mufflers?
Third question:  Does anyone have a baseline PC map for my proposed configuration?

Thanks,

Henry  

I've got a really good PCIII map for a 103 with the ECM flash, with true duals and air cleaner upgrade.  PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.  You should still get your bike on the dyno with your parts to take best advantage of what you've got.  But this will get you close enough to run it around on.

Bagger

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:13:27 AM »

I've got a really good PCIII map for a 103 with the ECM flash, with true duals and air cleaner upgrade.  PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.  You should still get your bike on the dyno with your parts to take best advantage of what you've got.  But this will get you close enough to run it around on.

You have a PM.

Bagger

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »

DOH!!!  ::) :o

Obviously, I'm thinking Fuelpak we've got, not the PC you've got. Sorry 'bout that!

:-X

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Man, now that there is some funny chit!!!!!!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »

Bagger,

The calibration download for a '06 'CUSE with high flow air cleaner and slip-on mufflers is called "Stage 1 Race", p/n 34304-06, available on a one-time-use cartridge and not on Digital Technician.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »

Henry,  I've got the Stage 1 ECM flash in mine for SE A/C, SE Slips.  Where are you getting the PCIII?  If you purchase from Fuelmotousa, talk to Jamie and he should be able to ship you one with the map already loaded.  It won't be perfect...I installed the PCIII when I had the SE slips on with a map for that set-up and it ran better, but was a bit rich.  When I put the RH TD's on, Jamie e-mailed me a map for that, which got me to the Dyno without any issues...it was still rich.  I think they err on the side of being rich.  The new PCIII's have the rev extend built in, plus some kind of start sequence, from what I've read.  I need to either send mine or order the firmware upgrade.  The Dyno tuner I used was Rod's Performance near Cullman.

My map with the RH's would get you close enough to not worry about riding to the tuner....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »

Bagger,

The calibration download for a '06 'CUSE with high flow air cleaner and slip-on mufflers is called "Stage 1 Race", p/n 34304-06, [highlight]available on a one-time-use cartridge and not on Digital Technician.[/highlight]

Jerry

Really?  I watched the tech do mine, and I never once saw him break out a cartridge like he did when he did my 02 Ultra.  I must have missed something, but I thought I was very observant.  Looked like he flashed my ECM directly from the computer.  He did tell me that it was the download for 06 TC 103 with SE A/C and SE slip-ons, but didn't tell me the name of the flash.

Bagger

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »

Henry,  I've got the Stage 1 ECM flash in mine for SE A/C, SE Slips.  Where are you getting the PCIII?  If you purchase from Fuelmotousa, talk to Jamie and he should be able to ship you one with the map already loaded.  It won't be perfect...I installed the PCIII when I had the SE slips on with a map for that set-up and it ran better, but was a bit rich.  When I put the RH TD's on, Jamie e-mailed me a map for that, which got me to the Dyno without any issues...it was still rich.  I think they err on the side of being rich.  The new PCIII's have the rev extend built in, plus some kind of start sequence, from what I've read.  I need to either send mine or order the firmware upgrade.  The Dyno tuner I used was Rod's Performance near Cullman.

My map with the RH's would get you close enough to not worry about riding to the tuner....

Thanks Terry.  I intend to order everything from B&M Cycles in Myrtle Beach, since I've always bought my aftermarket stuff through them.  It's a loyalty thing.  I do want to hook up with your dyno tuner tho'.  The last thing I need is to go through the PC issues I had with my 02 Ultra again.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »

Really?  I watched the tech do mine, and I never once saw him break out a cartridge like he did when he did my 02 Ultra.  I must have missed something, but I thought I was very observant.  Looked like he flashed my ECM directly from the computer.  He did tell me that it was the download for 06 TC 103 with SE A/C and SE slip-ons, but didn't tell me the name of the flash.
Bagger,

If you're not sure what he loaded, only way I know to verify is with DT or scanner.  The info on the calibrations comes from the attached bulletin:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bagger

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 12:47:30 PM »

Bagger,

If you're not sure what he loaded, only way I know to verify is with DT or scanner.  The info on the calibrations comes from the attached bulletin:

Jerry

I see now.  I think he loaded the Stage 1 Legal.  i'll get it verified via DT before I do anything else.  Thanks Jerry.

Henry

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 12:59:33 PM »

Jerry...some of those "cartridges" became unavailable back in June/July which I think is when Bagger got his scooter...when I got the Vrod and did the filter and SE slips, there was a cartridge number, but it was converted to a DT number about the time I ordered all the parts and got the bike...DT number was loaded as the Cart was no longer available.

Perhaps everything has gone to DT now?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »

Jerry...some of those "cartridges" became unavailable back in June/July which I think is when Bagger got his scooter...when I got the Vrod and did the filter and SE slips, there was a cartridge number, but it was converted to a DT number about the time I ordered all the parts and got the bike...DT number was loaded as the Cart was no longer available.

[highlight]Perhaps everything has gone to DT now?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
[/highlight]

That may be it too.  I don't know........but I'm going to find out before I do anything else.  I just noticed Jerry's chart is dated March 2006.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.