Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Statisttics and perceptions.  (Read 7087 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Statisttics and perceptions.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »

Johnmowcop, seems like a lot of people have issues to complain about. It might be easier to ask for a list of people with no complaints and how many miles they have on their bike. I still have the ticking lifter issue between 2200 and 2800, but when I am on the freeway fully loaded with BSR doing 80MPH I just kick it into fifth twist the throttle and up to 100MPH like POW!  Fantastic feeling. Like they say if you have to ask you wouldn't understand. (just for the record I will be doing the cam bearing change out, new S&S premium lifters, and SE tapered pushrods when I get to 25K.) I have heard if you over adjust the lifters it will make up for the difference between engine expansion and the ticking will stop.) I hope this fixes the issue, because when the bike is first started and before the engine warms up it is very quiet in reference to the lifters. I only use my bike for long trips that is why the mileage is so low for a 09 around 23K right now. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »

I hope not to jinx myself but in all the bikes I have had (soft tail, sportsters, utltras and 2 CVOs) I have never had a seat problem or any real problem (A few recalls). Overall a great experience.

I have history with customer service and help desks. Again no facts here but my experience reflects that people will complain when there are issues.  Typically people that are happy don't post "wow is great and another wonderful day of riding (or whatever)". When looking at a site, or any type of log, it looks like everything is horrible and the world is about to crash.  I suggest to temper the POV that everyone has issues all the time with the fact that many people are not having issues. This site and most sites help people see what problems may be encountered and more importantly you can get a lot of feedback on how to solve the problem, experiences and just information in general. 

Maybe it is not all bad! Just my POV.  :)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »

I hope not to jinx myself but in all the bikes I have had (soft tail, sportsters, utltras and 2 CVOs) I have never had a seat problem or any real problem (A few recalls). Overall a great experience.

I have history with customer service and help desks. Again no facts here but my experience reflects that people will complain when there are issues.  Typically people that are happy don't post "wow is great and another wonderful day of riding (or whatever)". When looking at a site, or any type of log, it looks like everything is horrible and the world is about to crash.  I suggest to temper the POV that everyone has issues all the time with the fact that many people are not having issues. This site and most sites help people see what problems may be encountered and more importantly you can get a lot of feedback on how to solve the problem, experiences and just information in general. 

Maybe it is not all bad! Just my POV.  :)

This makes sense. I too have not had any real problems with the five HD I have owned. That is not to say that They have never been in the shop but i never really thought anything was a big deal. Stuff happens all the time and just try not to get to freaked out.

On the other hand to brag about having 10'000 miles on a motor and trouble free is not great accomplishment. Any device should run that long.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »

This makes sense. I too have not had any real problems with the five HD I have owned. That is not to say that They have never been in the shop but i never really thought anything was a big deal. Stuff happens all the time and just try not to get to freaked out.

On the other hand to brag about having 10'000 miles on a motor and trouble free is not great accomplishment. Any device should run that long.

You both make excellent points.  First, you will always hear more about the negatives of a product than you will the positives, at least from the consumer.  After all, we fully expect every product we buy to perform exactly as the manufacturer claims it will, and if it does in fact perform up to our expectations we don't rush to scream our satisfaction to the masses because when something actually does what it's supposed to do, it shouldn't be considered a big deal.  BUT, when a product doesn't perform up to our expectations, or to the standards of other similar products, many of us will definitely take the time to express our dissatisfaction.  And just because a motorcycle manages to go 10k or 15k miles without a breakdown shouldn't be a bragging point.  In an age where even the cheapest car on the road can easily go well over 100k miles with no powertrain repairs at all, and only minimal maintenance as well, the fact that someone's Harley has managed to go 30k with "only" a couple thousand dollars worth of maintenance, and a few hundreds or thousands of dollars in upgrades like decent lifters to hopefully forestall major failures, really shouldn't impress anyone.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »

Let's not forget that cars are water cooled and our beloved Twins are air cooled. So while I agree that 30K on a Harley is nothing to brag about, they do often go 100K or close to it. In the last 40 years and several variations of Panheads, Shovels, Evo's and TC's only one remained stock, a 88' FLHS. I put over 100K in 4 years on that bike, with one rear base gasket replacement. The other bikes all had increased compression etc. (man it's fun when yer young) so those didn't go that long, but I didn't expect them to. The more things change the more they stay the same it seems. My 1975 Superglide had sh%#tty lifters too, 3 collapsed before 500 miles. I put in Sifton solids and never looked back. Here it is 2014, and I put S&S in my new CVO RK.  >:( Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.  :)
Harley must realize this.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:11:40 PM by Ridgerunr »
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »

Scoots is more than acceptable. "Daft and by gum" on the other hand...... : :huepfenlol2: I too, had a seat that ripped just after the warranty ran out. I opted to have it recovered at a local upholsterer. Much better quality.

From Me the OP

Just been and collected mine from a reputable seat coverer, he really is good, he tried but bottled out when he got inside the seat and discovered the heating element was bonded to the cover. He has done a minor repair to the split but I guess it will go again over time. I suppose the only cheap option is to ditch the seat heating and have it recovered without it. Not good news but life goes on.

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »

From Me the OP

Just been and collected mine from a reputable seat coverer, he really is good, he tried but bottled out when he got inside the seat and discovered the heating element was bonded to the cover. He has done a minor repair to the split but I guess it will go again over time. I suppose the only cheap option is to ditch the seat heating and have it recovered without it. Not good news but life goes on.

Sorry to hear that. No way to remove the element from the old cover or get a replacement  element? The seat I had done was not of the heated variety. Unfortunately shortly after I had it done I mounted bike from the high side and forgot about the sharp cutting tool sticking out of my left rear pocket :o Looks like its going back for a recover again....

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:56 AM »

This is why I Ride a big S&S V 111 EVO motor FXR4 CVO. No motor issues with over 50,000 miles on motor and Rivera - Primo 6 speed O.D. gearset.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »

S&S 111" a very good motor.  :2vrolijk_21:
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »

This is why I Ride a big S&S V 111 EVO motor FXR4 CVO. No motor issues with over 50,000 miles on motor and Rivera - Primo 6 speed O.D. gearset.

I did the same with my 96 Fatboy.  The old engine is gone and I installed a 2008 117ci EVO with Branch O'Keefe heads and cams.  I have ignition issues but I think I need a higher torque starter to solve the problem.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »

My 80" EVO motor had 30k miles and was in fantastic condition with no problems.  I just wanted more power.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »

Two things:

1) What a fantastic thing to do, what did you have to change, are you still stuck with ECU etc, what about primary drive arrangement, what is the difference in performance, Why did you do it and how much did it cost. How about giving a fully detailed account of what it is you have done

2) Have you got money to burn or are you mad. (No offence it's a genuine question, spend 30k on a bike then do all that to it?). Other than the racing fraternity no other sector of biking spends the kind of money HD enthusiasts do on their "Skoots" (Skoots!! as a friend would say, I am now "hip to the jive"), nor, I would say, have a better understanding of bike modification and building. And still the heads down arse (ass for you fellas) up brigade poke fun and hold the HD fraternity in contempt, or at least they do in the in England.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »

Well for me I had a oil leak that was fix with the first 5000 miles no problems since.  Only have 20000 on it now.  Had a 78 sportster with all kinds of electrical problems 25 years ago.  Had a gold wing the had to tear down and put a stator in about ever two years. 

But with the twin cam engines I think MOCO has sold more of the with marketing and also has made more horsepower compared to the other engines they have produced.  So this is also going to effect items as well.  They almost have to do this to compete with the import bikes.  The only problem we are a devoted group of people that like a American motorcycle.  But we have to except the fact that we also need to repair our bikes we are not riding a newer designed smother running water cooled engine block with cylinders and heads.  Harley did try this little band-aid fix throwing a little coolant in the head.  This engine design is very old.  Has its own note that others try to copy and are getting close to but still don't have it in my opinion. 

We ride a harley we should be proud and not complain when we have to repair it.  If you don't want to fix it once and a while sell it and go by a honda.  Sell your shirts, your signs, your beer mugs,  try to find a better bunch of people to hang out with.  I would still ride with you bit you bet your butt your going to get teased squid.

Todd

18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »

^^^^^^well said.
By nature as Americans we re engineer
,re build,bitc* and complain about most everything. Yet we all own Harley-Davidsons. Most of us have a variety of different Scoots. My self for instance have the CUSE2 and a bunch of quads (hunting & sand) and a KTM525 dual sport.
The real truth is I'm a member of a forum or two for each type on motorcycle.
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 02:00:10 AM »

I think this is why people that are used to buying BMW cars and going through mid life crisis go out and buy a Harley don't understand what owning a one is truely all about.  This is not a state of the art piece of machinery.   They have always had problems and most likely always will.  You have to spend some time once and a while fixing things.   Once you start bumping up horsepower and torque other things are going to break.  But for some of us that enjoy owning a Harley this is the true fun and joy and some time agony of it.  But that to me is what it's about. 

You can go do this to your Goldwing, but it is not the same to most people.  No one walks up to a guy at a gas station and says what have you done to your wing?   It's just part of the life style at least for me.  Some people that complain about things all the time may be not ready for this time of lifestyle yet.  They just want to be able to jump on and ride.  Then they should leave things alone and go with smaller size engines and most likely not go with engine design the really hasn't been updated other that the revalution engine for over 100 years.  The Japanese make a better v twin engine that's water cooled and even have v4 engines. 

Not saying that Harley engines haven't got better.  That is a very debatable question.  I would say that they have.  But in my opinion the relability of a import bike is most likely better than a Harley
But your still riding a import.  It's just not the same.  But that's me. 

I have friends that ride Yamaha and Hondas and when their kids get older and they can afford to own a harley they will.  I respect that.  I understand that.  It isn't cheap. I have friends that rent apartments as well cause the can't afford to buy a house.  I drive a dodge car and a ford truck.  My wife does drive a mercedes but she works for it. 

We both work a lot for what we have we have or I should say I have expensive hobbies I do a lot of side work out of my house to pay for it.   

I remember that old sportster I had was broke down more than I rode it.   But I sure had fun working on it.  You learn a lot about some electrical systems when you work on a old amf sportster that had been worked on by some one with butt connectors and electrical tape.   But for a kid in high school ridding a harley you learn that girls like them bikes leaking oil lights not working and when they quit and you are sweating you little butt off kick starting the flooded pos on the side of the road.  But you get her started and you ride out through the country for a 50 mile ride.  Those were the days you look back on. 

Still you spend 40000 on a bike looks sharp has all this chrome all these cool little gadgets and we want it to go just a little faster.   But how often do we really nail that throttle and feel all the power the bike has really got.  For me every once and a while.  But if I leave it alone would the extra 10 to 15 hp really make that big of a difference.  No most Likely not.   But it sure is fun.  Then you think about another 10 to 15 hp. Would be a little more fun.  There is never a end.  You will always want more.  That's why we ride Harley's.   Some of us can stop. Some can't.  I just don't have the money right now for that 502 boss hoss.  Lol. 

I sure would like to build something bigger and better the next time but like I said I have a son graduating and already have two daughters in collage and now the son is going.  So it's going to have to wait. 

Sorry to ramble on.  Just getting tired of people complaint of Harley's breaking down.  Then sell it and buy a honda or learn to ride it correctly. 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.