Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: How do you guys do it? .....full baggers that is!  (Read 12978 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: How do you guys do it? .....full baggers that is!
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »

Just wait until you take a trip.....load the saddle bags and tour pak with your wife's stuff which leaves a duffle bag for you that you tie on the luggage rack which is on top of the tour pak  :'(.....now you're talking about an entirely different riding experience ( Or Challenge).

Slow maneuver can be interesting....and a lot of thinking of where to park :-\

When we make a two week run, both bags are loaded, the TP is loaded and a bag on top.  Really not much worse than running the Ultra empty.  Just know the weight is there.  I have never had an issue with the extra weight other than its heavier to lift off the stand.

Now, the way my wife loads her bike.  Wow, she loads the bags, the tour pack, the bag on top, and a bag in the passenger seat, and all are heavier than my bags.  However she can ride it and do a u-turn in the street with out putting her feet down. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »

Several years ago we stopped for gas just outside the Silver Gate to Yellowstone.  A guy pulled up at the next pump with his ultra so overloaded I was amazed that he could maneuver at all at low speed.  He and his bsr were camping and had items strapped to the saddlebag lids and on the top of the tour pak was strapped their tent and sleeping bags.  The tour pak 'luggage' was higher than the bsr's head!  I asked him how it handled with all that weight and bulk.  His answer - 'no problem.'  It was obviously way, way overloaded and imo unsafe and I certainly would not recommend it.  But he seemed to manage with no problem.   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »

I went from an FXDWG to a cuse2 holy crap I said it takes a good few hundred miles to get used to but as was said before would not ride anything else now.  Now stops are one footed.
I also had a chp motor officer show me some slow speed tricks.
You need to use some body English going slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »

Or..........just have her carry it all for you!    ;D    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg620123#msg620123
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »

Several years ago we stopped for gas just outside the Silver Gate to Yellowstone.  A guy pulled up at the next pump with his ultra so overloaded I was amazed that he could maneuver at all at low speed.  He and his bsr were camping and had items strapped to the saddlebag lids and on the top of the tour pak was strapped their tent and sleeping bags.  The tour pak 'luggage' was higher than the bsr's head!  I asked him how it handled with all that weight and bulk.  His answer - 'no problem.'  It was obviously way, way overloaded and imo unsafe and I certainly would not recommend it.  But he seemed to manage with no problem.   :nixweiss:

LOL...I know what you mean...it is never a "problem" until its a problem.

I was at a rest area getting fuel when a fully load ultra with big duffle bag on tour pack came in for fuel.  Wife jumped off and when into store for some items.

He filled up with fuel and pulled ahead to wait for is wife.  She ran out and open the tour pack....he had all he could handle to keep that bike up with the shift in weight from the heavily loaded tour pack lid.

Since then I have learned a lesson....only open the tour pack lid when the bike is on it jiffy stand.

Ok...i confess...the guy at the gas station was me! :o

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »

i blew a rear tire quite a few years ago...

over the tires rated wt - tread came off going about 40.

made a mess of the rear fender - cleaned all the wiring out of the fender.. kept it upright and got to the side of the road - got a trailer to haul it home and fix it all.

"most" of the time since 79 i run with a sidecar - not that day

*sigh*

now i make sure I'm within tire rated wt. no rear seat on the bike. hd "claims" you can ride three up with a sidecar - but reality is if any of the riders are over 200lb the rear tire is way way way over wt.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »

LOL...I know what you mean...it is never a "problem" until its a problem.

I was at a rest area getting fuel when a fully load ultra with big duffle bag on tour pack came in for fuel.  Wife jumped off and when into store for some items.

He filled up with fuel and pulled ahead to wait for is wife.  She ran out and open the tour pack....he had all he could handle to keep that bike up with the shift in weight from the heavily loaded tour pack lid.

Since then I have learned a lesson....only open the tour pack lid when the bike is on it jiffy stand.

Ok...i confess...the guy at the gas station was me! :o

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »

I got a kick out of the title of this thread. When I first thought about moving from my Deuce to a bragger the first thing was "Dang this heavy". I'm 5'-8" and 145 lbs.

Since that day and a few 10k miles later on my Streetglide now when I hop on my buddies Deuce I think "Dang this thing is tiny".

Perspective is everything.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2015, 12:57:10 AM »

I got a kick out of the title of this thread. When I first thought about moving from my Deuce to a bragger the first thing was "Dang this heavy". I'm 5'-8" and 145 lbs.

Since that day and a few 10k miles later on my Streetglide now when I hop on my buddies Deuce I think "Dang this thing is tiny".

Perspective is everything.

Yep! It's all in what you're used to. I've always ridden Touring bikes, so,  don't know anything different. I did ride my friend's Heritage one day - and it felt small, lightweight, and very maneuverable. But it just wasn't COMFORTABLE for me... I can't imagine riding a Softail for more than an hour without being in pain.

I think the Touring bikes have better very-low-speed handling than the smaller bikes do.

My wife's little Ninja 650 feels like a child's TOY to me. I'm actually kind of scared to even ride it because I hate my feet being right under my butt and pointing down, and having to lean forward because of those silly little bars. It's not a position my body has ANY desire to be in at all!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 05:38:14 AM »

When I started feeling uncomfortable, I bit the bullet and traded my Ultra to my Son for his RKC, loved it. Was not sure better half would be happy, so I gave it awhile.  Wife would rather ride in her car, so's I traded for a SE-5
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

The wife and I had taken several long trips on our Duece. We never really complained.

Then we rode the Streetglide to Yellowstone.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.