Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From FLHRSE5 to FLHTK -Best FLHTKSE bits and add-on experiences  (Read 1984 times)

andy.blumberg73

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 110th Anniversary Edition
From FLHRSE5 to FLHTK -Best FLHTKSE bits and add-on experiences
« on: September 06, 2022, 09:26:22 AM »

After 9 riding seasons on my 2013 FLHRSE5, I made the "mistake" of taking a used 2021 FLHTK for a demo ride.  I liked it way more than I expected and it is time for a change.  I was considering waiting for a 2023 FLHTKSE, but there are too many unknowns (will they even make them; will I be able to get one).  So, I am now expecting delivery of a 2022 FLHTK in Apex (Black Finish and RDRS).  So I will be leaving the "CVO family" for now.

Moving from a CVO Road King to a an FLHTK, my questions to the FLHTKSE subgroup are:
1) What FLHTKSE standard items are totally worth splurging on during the "day one" accessory shopping/install process of a regular old FLHTK?
2) What is the best add-on you have made to your FLHTKSE?
3) Anyone have experiences with converting their Tour-Pak to detachable?  The 2021 FLHTK I demo road was bone-stock except for this modification.  I find it intriguing but I am not sure if I would use it frequently enough to justify the expense.  Any experiences you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Again, I appreciate your thought starters as I browse the HD P&A and Youtube reviews.  :)
Andy

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: From FLHRSE5 to FLHTK -Best FLHTKSE bits and add-on experiences
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 06:43:39 PM »

When I switched from a CVO owner to a BYO-CVO (Build Your Own), I bought a 2018 Road Glide Ultra and changed grips, floorboards, seat, and, because I wanted to keep the warranty + ESP, had the HD Stage 3 kit installed to take the engine from 107 ci to 114 ci (with the kit's hi-compression pistons and the cam).  At the time, HD didn't have any larger displacement kits available with warranty.  Warranty was a must-have.

I originally wanted to bump the engine to 114 ci with HC pistons and use the HD TQ cam from the Stage 2 kit -- but couldn't because HD doesn't have an EPA approved fuel map for that combo to keep warranty.

I chose the Stage 3 because I wanted to keep as much low end TQ as possible, and I don't rev a bagger for all it can do (Stage 4).

Would I do it (BYO CVO) again?   Not the engine upgrade, for one main reason:  it cost WAY too much for the amount of extra performance it provided.  Yes, for everything else, as HD has jacked up the price for CVOs while simultaneously taking away or "diluting" the CVO benefits, especially the engine size.

Remember when CVOs got you an upgrade from 88 ci to 103?  That was an increase of 17%.  Compare that to 114 => 117, a measly 2.6%.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
Re: From FLHRSE5 to FLHTK -Best FLHTKSE bits and add-on experiences
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 09:46:56 AM »

After 9 riding seasons on my 2013 FLHRSE5, I made the "mistake" of taking a used 2021 FLHTK for a demo ride.  I liked it way more than I expected and it is time for a change.  I was considering waiting for a 2023 FLHTKSE, but there are too many unknowns (will they even make them; will I be able to get one).  So, I am now expecting delivery of a 2022 FLHTK in Apex (Black Finish and RDRS).  So I will be leaving the "CVO family" for now.

Moving from a CVO Road King to a an FLHTK, my questions to the FLHTKSE subgroup are:
1) What FLHTKSE standard items are totally worth splurging on during the "day one" accessory shopping/install process of a regular old FLHTK?
2) What is the best add-on you have made to your FLHTKSE?
3) Anyone have experiences with converting their Tour-Pak to detachable?  The 2021 FLHTK I demo road was bone-stock except for this modification.  I find it intriguing but I am not sure if I would use it frequently enough to justify the expense.  Any experiences you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Again, I appreciate your thought starters as I browse the HD P&A and Youtube reviews.  :)
Andy

I totally get it, everywhere I go on my 13 I get compliments. But I am so tempted to try something new, I have yet to test ride anything for fear of liking it too much. My wife wants a tour pack back rest, and to get a color matched one, as well as more engine upgrades....it just doesn't make financial sense. Enjoyed hearing/reading your experience.

Cheers from Canadia  :drink:

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.