Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXDWG3 motor  (Read 7031 times)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
FXDWG3 motor
« on: November 23, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »

Hi everyone , I'm in the process of buying a FXDWG3 and know about all the billet parts and paint . My question is regarding the motor . Is it completely stock or are there any mods like the newer CVO's .  

It's the blue one .. I'm riding a 99 FXDX which I love .. but this is as you all well know a dream bike .

Thanks in advance

jt
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: FXDWG3 motor
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:01:07 PM »

Hey, nidan, welcome to the site! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

The motors in the WG2's and 3's are regular production TC88s with none of the Screamin' Eagle performance parts found on the 95 and 103 cubic inch CVO's.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 10:01:51 PM by 103tHunDer »

nidan

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:13:21 PM »

Thanks , I suspected so but thought I'd check .  I know it's highly subjective but I think the Blue FXDWG3 is one of the most beautiful production bikes ever.  I've always been very fond of Wide glides , and was about ready to get a Deuce when I saw this bike for sale. The price is so good I couldn't resist .

Selling me superglide sport will be hard as it is my first Harley , but we've had 10K + good mile together , and she'll make somebody very happy too.

paul65k

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 07:12:19 AM »

Hey Guys,

New to the CVO group as I just bought a Blue 02 FXDWG3 to match my 03 Silver/Black RKC, with 103 stroker, 251 Cams and SE Heads.

Always wanted this bike but in 02 I 1) couldn't afford it, 2) couldn't get the dealer here in CA to sell me one for sticker and 3) couldn't convince the wife that we should have 2 harleys in the garage (again).

Sold my 00 FXDS (Convertible) to a friend and miss the light nimble feel of the Dyna when I ride 1 up.......so to make a long story short the DWG3 in on it;s way to me as I speak and am excited to find this site.

Question is the following: DWG3 has SEII pipes, K&N Finter and rejetted.....basically the same set-up as my old Dyna......so I'm guessing the performance will be very similar, which is to say "Sounds good but no rocketship". Any suggestions on how to improve the performance without the "95" upgrade. I really want to maintain the stock appearance of the bike but would like to get just a little more kick. I was thinking Cams but was just wondering what the thoughts of the experts here in this forum are?

Thanks 8-)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »

Cams, heads and a good exhaust to compliment the power upgrade and your good to go. There are some pretty stout 88" bikes out there.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 08:14:56 AM »

Paul

On the cheap do this,

Have the heads reworked, 95" cylinders, pistons, 211 cams, S/E ignition, V/H pro-pipe

That combination has yielded me 102 H/P and 105 Torque!-----> All day long.

That's on the cheap
Now if you want to spend real money ,,,,,

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

nidan

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:59:28 AM »

I went with SE heads/95"cast pistons/cylinders/adj pushrods/TW31G cam and gear drive /Mik 42/Dyna TC88-2/SE clutch kit  ended up with 98hp /101 ft lbs , gets 45-48mpg normally and on my recent round trip of the BRP got 50 the whole way up and back

paul65k

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:42 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. As I mentioned I really want to keep this as stock looking as possible so I have decided to go with 203 Cams & SE Ignition along with the current breather and SEII slip-on's with the rejetted carb for now. I am going to elect to keep the stock pistons and heads (for now) as this is really just my 500 - 1000 mile a year bike and will ALWAYS be ridden 1-up........got the souped up RK for any serious long distance or 2-up riding.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks when it's finished.

Thanks again! 8-)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 01:19:45 PM »

That's why I stayed with mostly HD parts , I wanted it to look stock.  Most folks, even a lot of guys in the dealerships think it was a 95" screamin eagle stock ... so it doesn't raise too many eyebrows until I wick the throttle.

MGCinAL

• The biggest idiot alive who sold a FXDWG3 with a built TC95"....

• CVO1: SOLD 12/10/12 FXDWG3 w/BUILT!!!! TC95", literally the fastest thing 0-100MPH I've ever rode (including serious rice like Kawa ZRX's and Busa's)
    • CVO2: Looking to replace or find my old bike!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »

Hello,

I stumbled upon this thread in a search as to whether the 95" motor was stock or not in the FXDWG3's; LIKE AN IDIOT I sold mine after a Thanksgiving 2012 run (3&1/2 hours at 90 plus) due to simply I was tired of a sore ass (Corbin Hollywood solo) and the bars killed my shoulders, neck and hands (military wear and tear from years back). I was stupid to say the least since my was black, nearly mint with 10k on the clock and built like a son of a gun fast. Next to my former Hayabusa, it's the second fastest bike (seat of the pants) to 100mph I've ever put a leg over, even besting (four bikes back in a 0-100mph race) a Kawasaki ZRX1200; which is by NO means a slow bike to 100mph having rode and owned one. We even swapped and he out ran me the same distance pretty much, I did launch his a lot harder; but I've rode 20+ years vs. 5 maybe for him.

BUT, it was no wear near stock for a TC88, I own a '99 FXDL with a TC88, V&H Long Shots, performance air cleaner and I personally built the 40mm Kehlin carb myself for performance, typical mods to the carb and 1988 sportster main needle and the 1/8 drill out in the diaphragm slide. It is a DOG, even though it's performing correctly when it's compared to the '95 CI upgrade (cylinder p/n verified by dealer and the 44mm carb and intake, possibly head work we just guessed at that since it would need it to flow that much air mixture and run that hard and there was a clear audible cam at idle and the strong, strong mid rpm's that didn't wane as you moved up towards the rev limiter).

I never got it on a dyno, but having ridden with 103" street bob's with stage two kits and I was out pulling them pretty hard, no BS; I'm a fact guy in my day job (I like numbers, facts, etc). So, yeah I wish I had numbers and a scan of a run on a dyno, but if I had another one I'd GO the 95" route and there is no better bike to me then the FXDWG3 in blue or black the 2's in red aren't my taste, not putting them down. But sadly, I like many others thought this was a "stock" motor at first (only had two Harleys prior and both were Sporty's, with I LOVE the XL1200S for the dollar amount, handling and performance since I rode solo only). But, I've considered a '03/'04 CVO Duece for the 95" motor or another FXDWG3 and building it.... I'll spend twice what I spent the first time, you live, you learn....

But some info about my old 95" FXDWG3

I was shifting into fifth at redline (unknown no tach, just by ear before the rev limiter) at 110 and pulling hard enough to:

A. bury the needle at 120 and keep climbing as I pulled up the rev's in fifth

B. Pass the local police chief at 134mph still pulling strong (and never letting out), however tapering off good on a LONGGGGGG straight, while virtually laying on the tank in a full face. Thankfully he's my wife's cousin, so he just mentioned it the next day at the gas station. Even he was impressed, never seen a Harley go that fast.

I wish this was BS, because I have to live with the fact that I got "mad" at it for being so uncomfortable (it's a bar hopper not a speeding state crosser) that I sold it to Rider's HD in Trussville, AL for a song and IT WAS PAID FOR.

Keep yours, build yours and I WISH I knew what exact was done to my old one, all my buddies called it "The Beast" and it sure was....

Please kick me for selling it for $8,700, yeah IDIOT....

However note this nice fact, the front end floats a TON above 120, it's a likely tank slapper at any given moment, it has ZERO feedback and the un-experienced veteran riders with these speeds can lose control; I got a GOOOODDD wobble at around 110-115 one day on Hwy. 72 Alt/20E in Huntsville, Alabama right before I got to Rocket HD and pulled over and nearly traded for a V-Rod (1130cc model, older) or a Road Glide with a 103" due to chit handling and sore buttocks....

Under a 100 and 0-100mph this is one of the most enjoyable bikes on earth (when built), IF you are only going 50-75 miles in a direction and turning around. It gets more looks and comments then the CVO Bagger my buddy rides, the custom choppers I've rode with and unfortunately they're not all as fast as my old one. Parts are simply GONE, discontinued and mostly on eBay at high prices....

I now "tour" on a 2010 Triumph Bonneville and it's comfy (even at 6'5", mid pegs and 230ish lbs), I do run a solo gel seat cafe racer style, but a stock 1200 Sporty passes me and out runs me; but it's still a fun bike.
Live and learn, I learned not to sell FXDWG3's that are seriously fast and first dates lead to a wife....

Larry

• CVO1: 2002 FXDWG-3
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »

"MGCinAL, If your interested in buying another FXDWG 3  I have one for sale.  (Blue) Have all of the original parts plus some new parts to replace things that wear out. (foot pegs, grips etc) Motor is already 95" Let me know.
    Thanks, Larry

MGCinAL

• The biggest idiot alive who sold a FXDWG3 with a built TC95"....

• CVO1: SOLD 12/10/12 FXDWG3 w/BUILT!!!! TC95", literally the fastest thing 0-100MPH I've ever rode (including serious rice like Kawa ZRX's and Busa's)
    • CVO2: Looking to replace or find my old bike!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »

I'm a fan of mostly black ones honestly and I'm selling my '99 FXDL first and thumping around on the Triumph Bonneville for a bit moddin' it out a little (not much hp/tq to be found mostly sound and a few of the previous) for the backroads in the country.

I DO miss the 95"TC torque, I'm actually thinking about asking the salesperson I know pretty good about who bought it and keeping it handy for a few months down the road. I've almost talked myself into a 07+ FXDL two tone (dragon fly green/vivid black or the blue/black combo) with a solo seat and modding a stock internal TC96 to roughly 100hp/100ft lbs, it can be done with the right tune and mods for a not a whole lot ($1500-2000 absolute tops). The whole "rarity" thing kills me about the CVO's, especially the FXDWG2/3's, they're "right" as is and I need floorboards (a la' Dyna Defender style) or mid pegs (leaning towards the boards), more scoop in the seat and it's a solid with a full face 200+ mile bike in the later frame and motor for me. It's the ergonomics, but for looks and speed the dwg2/3's are the bee knees!

I just cannot justify choppin' up a perfectly good as is bike to "suit my old body" when it's an around town screamer.... I'm not quite to the 4 bike in the garage income level, close though and the wife has a say as always....

I'll stay posted on the board for a bike eventually and maybe try to buy my old one back; however I'll have to pass since it's a blue bike and I prefer black, am moving currently and need to sell my 99 Dyna first....
Live and learn, I learned not to sell FXDWG3's that are seriously fast and first dates lead to a wife....

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.