Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petcock swap  (Read 6838 times)

rtbasey

Petcock swap
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »

Anybody know if you can use the gas tank petcock from a Fxdwg3 on a Fxdwg2?  My local Harley dealer has no idea and says there is no cross reference.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Petcock swap
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »

Not sure if it's sad and dumb or dumb and sad that they couldn't think to just look up the part number for each year to see if they're the same.  Or, worse, to have someone at the parts counter old enough to remember carburetors.

Yes, the petcocks will interchange.  Don't give them the business though.  22mm 90 degree petcock for many applications for years and years.  Get a good Pingel petcock elsewhere rather than paying your parts counter to have to do their research for them.  Biggest changes in petcocks were the addition of the vacuum fitting or the change from 3/8" to 22mm.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:51:46 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

rtbasey

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:01 AM »

I like that Pingle petcock but it is not vacuum which I believe I need since I have the vacuum line.  The Fxdwg2 and 3 have different part numbers and are both vacuum.  The odd thing is that the Fxdwg2 is about $90 and the Fxdwg3 is closer to $20.  According to the illustrations in the parts catalogs, they look very similar but different filters.  I'm wondering if they have a different thread size to the tank.  Seems odd to me.  I need to try different Harley dealers to see if I can find them in stock to compare. 

Thanks...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »

Pingel and others in the aftermarket have valves with the vacuum control.  You can also use a replacement without the vacuum control in a bike originally intended for it.  Just be sure and plug off the vacuum line and don't forget to use your petcock.  Both years you're asking about should be 22mm fittings if I remember correctly. 

One other thought, if you're seeing a 20-dollar-ish price on a petcock from Harley it might not be a complete petcock.  That's about what the last petcock repair kit I bought cost. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »

Just checked J&P again.  Pingel petcocks with the vacuum fittings are 720-000, 720-001 or 720-002.  Variation is which way the fuel line points.  FWIW whenever a petcock with the vac fitting ever gave me any problem I always replaced it with a non-vac fitting.  Less things to fail.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

Go with the pingel you will not be sorry I have one on my 05 Fatboy and have used them on a few choppers  it is the way to goooooo ...

rtbasey

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »

Thanks for the good info, I will check those out...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »

As mentioned above the Pingels really are a good choice.  They aren't cheap.  But it's not an apples to apples comparison to stock.  The Pingels are a better petcock too.  They've also got some with a more decorative body that are better looking too.  More important, however, is that their flow rate is commonly better though.  A bit more fuel to the carb if it needs it.  They've also proved to be pretty reliable over the years.

rtbasey

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:16:25 PM »

Thanks again, I'm going to take a closer look at the bike to see what I need to plug should I go for a non-vacuum petcock.  When you refer to better flow, I get the impression that there is a possibility of hesitation from fuel starvation with the stock petcock.

Terry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »

Thanks again, I'm going to take a closer look at the bike to see what I need to plug should I go for a non-vacuum petcock.  When you refer to better flow, I get the impression that there is a possibility of hesitation from fuel starvation with the stock petcock.

Terry

Especially if a little work has been done.  The vacuum to plug is simple.  Just a little line that comes across from the intake.  Eithe plug the line at the petcock or take it off at the other end and put a little rubber cap on the nipple.  Common item to find at any auto parts store.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »

Especially if a little work has been done.  The vacuum to plug is simple.  Just a little line that comes across from the intake.  Eithe plug the line at the petcock or take it off at the other end and put a little rubber cap on the nipple.  Common item to find at any auto parts store.

Plug the line. It's the easiest way. The vacuum also goes to a VOES switch from the nipple. A screw in the line and a tie wrap, does the trick just fine! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »

Plug the line. It's the easiest way. The vacuum also goes to a VOES switch from the nipple. A screw in the line and a tie wrap, does the trick just fine! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

hehehe, Howie said "nipple."

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 21 queries.