Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Front wheel weight dinged front fender  (Read 20261 times)

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
Front wheel weight dinged front fender
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:28 AM »

Less than 300 miles on my new  2011 SERG, looked at front fender and found a ding from inside fender, its on the top of the fender but off to the side were the fender is curved around the tire, its a sharp ding, with less than 300 miles appears a wheel weight caused it, but dealer called HD and they turned ot down, I have  a refrence # and phone #, should I follow up and bitch.... to get something done, has anyone else had this problem, I hate to see the price of that custom painted fender....... :'(
Ride it like ya Stole IT!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Front wheel weight dinged front fender
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »

I would call and bitch till they fix it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »

Second time I have heard this recently. I would call and complain until they fix it.

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »

raining out think I'll call HD tod :soapbox:ay and start the fighting match.......

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

raining out think I'll call HD tod :soapbox:ay and start the fighting match.......

GOOD LUCK!  :2vrolijk_21:
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »

Good luck, you should be able to get it covered by HD, if not then your dealer if he is any good should fix it to keep you happy.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »

Can you see where the wheel wiegth was (sticky left behind) to show where there was once a wheel weight?
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »

At the point (where) that the wheel was balanced and the weight was applied to the wheel is where the responsibility is for it coming off and causing the damage. You need to call HD customer service yourself and I bet they will make it right.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »

No fugly weights I use Dyno Beads  :2vrolijk_21: and Nitrogen  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »

Assuming you have proof that the wheel weight caused the damage, as opposed to some road debris, H-D should cover it since the damage was caused by one of their defective parts.  Take pictures of the missing wheel weight (should be some residue evident on the wheel) and then of the fender ding, call H-D yourself and offer to send them the photo's.  Once again, it's no different than any other damage caused by the failure of a warranted item.  If a defective oil pump wipes out your engine, they don't just replace the defective oil pump and leave you stuck with the rest of the damage.

If they decide to be dipchits and try to bluff you, which seems to be getting more and more common recently as Harley tries to reduce warranty costs by screwing customers, have an attorney send them a little letter.

Jerry

Couldn't find a price for a front fender for an '11, but it would probably be similar to a '10 SESG front fender in terms of price.  That would be about $650 painted to match.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:50:29 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HawgDoc

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »

I hope this was resolved by the moco. I feel certain this would be covered with the right contact in customer or tech service.
Be quick to listen, and slow to speak.

zilla

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »

I lost a weight off of my rear rim and dinged fender  covered by warranty. New fender on order , keep fight-en man

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 07:02:15 AM »

How many miles were on the bike?, I have the HD referance # and a 1-800 phone number guess I will start following up

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »

my front wheel weights came off but Luckily no damage.

zilla

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »

bobsplus . the bike has 1250 miles on it had it in at 840 for pipes and Dyno  also did 1000 mile service at that time  . picked it up and went for a couple of short rides. was cleaning it up after when I came across the ding in the rear fender 

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:53:59 AM »

Alright, I called the HD referance #, and spoke to a Cust. service person, she stated the bike had 1300 mile on it, when the dealer called it in, and they never received any photos, the dealer took photos when I showed it to them,,,, I was very agitated and informed her that I had the damage with less than 300 miles on the bike, it happened in the first week of owning it, I was back at the dealer at 1300 miles, then she stated they never received any photos, the dealer took photos but never forwarded, Sounds like I have :worthless: dealer issues, Killer Creek HD. Calling dealer today and will speak to Service Mgr. ANY SUGGESTIONS I NEED HELP????????  I'm getting little hot under the collar...

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »

your argument as stated sounds pretty compelling.   dealer didnt do what they said they were going to do.  that single fact makes it an issue that might have been resolved by moco but due to their inaction, now needs to be resolved at the dealer level to keep you as a customer.

just my 2 cents worth.

Dave
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »

We'll I receievd a call from the dealer, that received approval to replace the fender under warrenty, I guess my mean voice on the phone to HD really scared them, Then received call from service mgr. apoligizing about the incident, He stated that sometimes the customer has to make the call to HD and push a little. All I know is I will still be a HD customer now... and still love my new RGCVO :bananarock: :mango: :orange: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »

We'll I receievd a call from the dealer, that received approval to replace the fender under warrenty, I guess my mean voice on the phone to HD really scared them, Then received call from service mgr. apoligizing about the incident, He stated that sometimes the customer has to make the call to HD and push a little. All I know is I will still be a HD customer now... and still love my new RGCVO :bananarock: :mango: :orange: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber:
Glad to hear it worked out for you. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

zilla

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »

sounds like the dealer was at fault all the way. I was a little nervous when I went in for mine they acted like it wasn't even a queston if it was warranty or not. in fact they ordered the fender before they even heard back from Harley. sure glad you got yours :mango:

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »

We'll I finally got them to replace the front fender, spoke to MOCO and the had no pics, and said the bike had 1200 miles on it , I told MOCO that I noticed it when the bike had less than 300 miles, and dealer took photos and then went on to explain that this is my third bike in 4 yrs . they said they would get back to me, I rec. a call from the dealer that they received permission to order fender, 6-8 weeks, well at least its getting replaced........... :pineapple: :pepper: :orange:

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »

I lost my wheel weight dented fender and dealer put new fender on and rebalanced wheel.   jdo

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

follow up with the 1-800 cust. service, and they should eventually roll over.....

johnnyboy

Heard the thump on the interstate. Pulled to the side of the road and sure enough the chrome weights fell off and dented my front fender
from the inside. Chipped the paint. Only 400 miles on my bike. Just sickens me and I'm sure I'm out of luck.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

Heard the thump on the interstate. Pulled to the side of the road and sure enough the chrome weights fell off and dented my front fender
from the inside. Chipped the paint. Only 400 miles on my bike. Just sickens me and I'm sure I'm out of luck.
Moved/merged your thread with this existing one... Your mileage is similar to the OP and outcome was the same when weight flew off.  :( >:(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

johnnyboy

To follow up, I went to the Dealer, Glendale Harley Davidson, the following Tuesday and explained what happened to the Service Manager.
They took pictures and forwarded the information to the MotoCo and in about an hour they told me that the MotoCo will replace the fender,
Albeit it will take 12-15 weeks to get the fender. I'm very happy with my dealer and their top rate service department. They NEVER made me
feel that I had to prove beyond a shadow of doubt what had happened, in fact the service manager noted to me that the MotoCo said this case
with the wheel weights is happening often.

OP, How long did it take to get your fender replaced?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

To follow up, I went to the Dealer, Glendale Harley Davidson, the following Tuesday and explained what happened to the Service Manager.
They took pictures and forwarded the information to the MotoCo and in about an hour they told me that the MotoCo will replace the fender,
Albeit it will take 12-15 weeks to get the fender. I'm very happy with my dealer and their top rate service department. They NEVER made me
feel that I had to prove beyond a shadow of doubt what had happened, in fact the service manager noted to me that the MotoCo said this case
with the wheel weights is happening often.

OP, How long did it take to get your fender replaced?
Glad it's working out for you. :2vrolijk_21:

Odd that this model and at similar mileage this is occurring. :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »

Anytime anyone has damage to their ride I am sympathetic. It sucks and sucks the most when the ride is brand new as the case here. I am very glad to hear of the outcome as well. Having said all that however I am amazed that it was covered. It just seems so impossible to prove that the only thing I can conclude is that H-D is experiencing a rash of complaints about wheel weights coming off the rims. It's the only plausible explanation I can think of. I mean I'm as hardass as they come when it's about the MoCo making good on a warranty claim but this one seems a real stretch. How on earth did you prove it wasn't a small stone that flew up an did the damage. YES, I know you stated the wheel weight was missing. The weight being missing and knowing it did the damage to your fender however seem to be a ways apart even though as I said I am on your side of this argument. Bottom line is this. Should the members of this forum buying new H-D's check their wheelweights to see if they're loose or missing ? We all know we WON'T be getting a service advisory from H-D even if this is happening on 20% of their new bikes.

B B

johnnyboy

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »

I was shocked too that it went so smoothly, even the service manager was surprised but after a long talk to the moto company they said there are problems with the chrome CVO wheel weights. How many, don't know but the service manager said yes, this is happening. I asked about re-balancing and he said the moto company will send different chrome weights that will be affixed differently, whatever that means. As far as my "proof", well I took the bike in right in after it happened. The small dent and paint chip was from the inside/out, about 1/8th of an inch, and the tape used for the chrome weights was still on the wheel. I only had the bike for 9 days and it happened on the 2nd day of riding it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:32:24 PM by johnnyboy »

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

I was shocked too that it went so smoothly, even the service manager was surprised but after a long talk to the moto company they said there are problems with the chrome CVO wheel weights. How many, don't know but the service manager said yes, this is happening. I asked about re-balancing and he said the moto company will send different chrome weights that will be affixed differently, whatever that means. As far as my "proof", well I took the bike in right in after it happened. The small dent and paint chip was from the inside/out, about 1/8th of an inch, and the tape used for the chrome weights was still on the wheel. I only had the bike for 9 days and it happened on the 2nd day of riding it.

I believe hd_dude (Jim) advocates the use of superglue when affixing wheel weights. Since they come off so easily, those of you worried about this can buy some SG, pry off the weights and glue them back on   :nixweiss:

B B

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

What about taking the weights off and installing dyna beads inside the tires instead?
My ridding buddy had dyna beads put in last year when they replaced both tires. 4,000 miles later still rides great. Seems like a simple solution. Anybody eles try this?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »

What about taking the weights off and installing dyna beads inside the tires instead?
My ridding buddy had dyna beads put in last year when they replaced both tires. 4,000 miles later still rides great. Seems like a simple solution. Anybody eles try this?
Different riders have experienced different results.  They're working well for me.  They seem to work well on tires/wheels that are not out of balance more than a few ozs.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

eaglecat

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »

this also happend to me in 2007 on my streeglide. i asked to speakto the district service rep and he replaced the rear fender. take pics of damage for your records. the rep took pics of my wheel where the weights came off and the fender good luck.if one dealer dont want to help go to another different service mgrs have morepull then others. (EAGLECAT DETROIT).

johnnyboy

UPDATE: Just got a call from Glendale Harley Davidson, my front fender is in. Next Tuesday would have been 4 weeks since the wheel weights have fallen off and dinged the fender.
Going this Friday to have the switch out. I feel blessed that I was able to get this covered by warranty!!!!!!!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

UPDATE: Just got a call from Glendale Harley Davidson, my front fender is in. Next Tuesday would have been 4 weeks since the wheel weights have fallen off and dinged the fender.
Going this Friday to have the switch out. I feel blessed that I was able to get this covered by warranty!!!!!!!
Good job, shows that if you stay on them they will help
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »

I removed the weights on both wheels and put it up on a jack. pulled the valve cores and installed the Dyna beads. I bought the install kit. Fairly easy to do once you learn the trick to installing them is to just tap the bottle so the trickle in like a salt shaker and if the get jammed up in the valve core rotate the tire so whats jammed falls back into the bottle. Seems to work real good. I'm pleased with the results so far.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »

Met a guy at the dealership in Tucson during Az. Bike Week a couple of weeks ago. He had a 2011 SEUC that only had 2,500 miles on it and had 6 dings in the front fender from the wheel weights.  They had already ordered a new front fender for him....still waiting.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »

After my fender ding on rebalance tech moved tire 180 degrees and no weight was needed . Everything fixed and good to go. jdo

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
HD wheel weight comes flying off - denting front fender significantly
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

Yesterday, at 75 mph heading up to Savannah, GA, one of the front wheel weights came off- putting two significant dents into the fender.  One bad enough it broke the paint. >:(. Stopped into Rossmeyer HD in Daytona and after some convincing the service writer called HD and requested a new fender.  To my delight, no problem.  Got a authorization number for my local dealer to order the fender! :2vrolijk_21:  continuing on our trek to deals gap tomorrow.

Moral to the story - check your wheel weights and ensure they are not coming loose.

Hope you all have a safe holiday weekend!

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »

Wow!  I had seen this problem before I left WY 3 days ago and checked my wheel weights.  All were very secure, or so I thought.  642 miles into the trip I heard a loud "clang", pulled over, and the attached picture is what I discovered.  What a bummer!  I am currently in Abilene, TX getting the fluids changed and having the local HD warranty gal from Kent's HD look it over and make note of the damage.  For those of you that have this wheel, I recommend the following if the weights have not come off YET:  Reattach these sharp-edge fender beaters in some other method (glue?) or use some type of balancing that is done on the inside of the tire (Dyna Beads?) because they will eventually come off.  I don't know what HD is doing to correct the problem, but there is definitely a problem with the way they are attaching the weights to the wheel.  It may be that the surface that they are attaching the weights to has a slight convex curve to it and the double sided tape is just not enough to hold in on permanently.  Anyhow, now that the riding season is here, check your wheels out and do some preventative maintenance instead of reactive maintenance like me!  My 2 cents worth anyway!

Tweet

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »

Here is a picture of the damage to the front fender.  By the way, the other 2 remaining weights came off somewhere between Lubbock, TX and Abilene, TX with no additional damage. 

Tweet

eaglecat

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »

call district rep they fixed mine. same thing happend to me,

DAW

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »

I have two CVO's 2009 Roadglide and 2011 Street Glide, i looked at all 4 rims and see no weights on them, could this be right? the Street Glide only has  300 miles on them..

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »

I have two CVO's 2009 Roadglide and 2011 Street Glide, i looked at all 4 rims and see no weights on them, could this be right? the Street Glide only has  300 miles on them..
maybe you're just real lucky and got great balanced wheels & tires.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

III

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

Bringing this thread back up, just happened to me. 6000 miles on the bike and hear big clunk from the front while riding down the interstate. Weights missing and dent in fender.  >:(

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »

Yesterday, at 75 mph heading up to Savannah, GA, one of the front wheel weights came off- putting two significant dents into the fender.  One bad enough it broke the paint. >:(. Stopped into Rossmeyer HD in Daytona and after some convincing the service writer called HD and requested a new fender.  To my delight, no problem.  Got a authorization number for my local dealer to order the fender! :2vrolijk_21:  continuing on our trek to deals gap tomorrow.

Update - Rossmeyer Ft Lauderdale ordered new fender.  Due in 4 weeks.  No charge.

Moral to the story - check your wheel weights and ensure they are not coming loose.

Hope you all have a safe holiday weekend!

ultimatehillbilly

• CUSE4 Blue
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »

Well I'm glad a came across this thread. Picked up my Red SEURG Saturday. Less than 50 miles on the clock, kachunk chunk... see something small in the mirror, absolutely did not hit anything. Sure enough, 3 dents, big chunk paint gone on one, that one protrudes out maybe 3/32-1/8". Dealer says don't worry, I guess we will see.
Maybe the combination of chit tape and over 100 temps is too much.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

Maybe the combination of chit tape and over 100 temps is too much.

Oh Chit another excuse to add to the Customer Service Replies Spreadsheet. "Sorry Sir we cannot cover this issue, you were riding your Motorcycle at to High and Ambient Temperature. Warranty DENIED!

Just like Chrome issues. You live in an environmentally unfriendly location we can only cover one piece of chrome.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »

Oh Chit another excuse to add to the Customer Service Replies Spreadsheet. "Sorry Sir we cannot cover this issue, you were riding your Motorcycle at to High and Ambient Temperature. Warranty DENIED!

Just like Chrome issues. You live in an environmentally unfriendly location we can only cover one piece of chrome.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

So far I  have had no problems with getting warranty.  I even had a small area on the chrome windshield band you had to look real hard to see it coming off and they replace that

On the weights mind came off Under 50 degres (not a  heat issue)
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Re: Re: Front wheel weight dinged front fender
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 06:23:52 AM »

Less than 300 miles on my new  2011 SERG, looked at front fender and found a ding from inside fender, its on the top of the fender but off to the side were the fender is curved around the tire, its a sharp ding, with less than 300 miles appears a wheel weight caused it, but dealer called HD and they turned ot down, I have  a refrence # and phone #, should I follow up and bitch.... to get something done, has anyone else had this problem, I hate to see the price of that custom painted fender....... :'(

I had a wheel weight come off several months ago and it caught the edge of the fender and took a big chip of paint off. Showed it to my dealer and they suggested that some touch up paint would fix it. Got a call from my dealer yesterday and they told me that they ordered a new fender for me. I was told that they received a service bulletin to replace damaged fenders caused by the wheel weights coming off. Don't know the service bulletin # but will post if I can find out.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

ultimatehillbilly

• CUSE4 Blue
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »

The thing that bothers me most about this is that this issue seems to go back a LONG time. Seems to take a lot of incidents before someone figures out there is a problem. Probably accountants alert somebody.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:10 AM »

My take on this is that they haven't figured out a better solution to the 'stick-on' wheel weights & their inherent problems while still needing to balance the extremely inconsistant out of balance wheels that they are buying from some low-bid source (china?)  Some of the wheels are so out of balance that you can not balance them with dyna-beads.  The problem with stick on weights has been known to them as they've requested that dealers return their on hand supply....so it's probably not just the faulty 'application', but also faultly stick on weights themselves in some situations.  Who knows, could be a combination of problems/errors.  But, it surely is a continuing problem that needs a solution sooner than later.  spyder

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »

Mentioned this in another thread. I don't recall hitting anything (didn't see any road debris) but it sure sounded like something hit the bike and I felt it. Looked at the oil cooler and a brief check of the fender but didn't see anything. The night before I came back over to Iraq I noticed a nick in the left slider and a broken reflector. No reply from home to see if the weight is still on there. I guess it's possible that a weight could have caused this but probably unlikely.

Disregard, BSR ells me the weights are present as far as she can tell. Reckon I had to have hit something.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:18:50 AM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

Lost a front wheel weight yesterday and of course the fender's now dinged

Anyone have a copy or link to the service bulletin on this?

My dealer doesn't seem to be too good at getting this kind of news.  I had to educate them on the 110 recalls when I had the Serk.  They didn't even think there had been any problems with the engines!

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »

i don't believe there is a service bullitan on this situation.  Mine came off in May - dealer got it covered.  I know HD customer service is well aware of the issue.  My new fender shoudl be in a week of so. :2vrolijk_21:

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »

I lost the front wheel weights before the 1000 mile check.I have 4600 miles on it now. No balance issues. I just noticed an outward ding behind the forks on the side of fender. The new fender is on order. The MOCO  will replace it. I'll be checking into installing Dyna Beads.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

FltruseDave

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

Lost a front wheel weight yesterday and of course the fender's now dinged

Anyone have a copy or link to the service bulletin on this?

My dealer doesn't seem to be too good at getting this kind of news.  I had to educate them on the 110 recalls when I had the Serk.  They didn't even think there had been any problems with the engines!

Rio, which dealer in NJ? I had this problem back in August last year, I had the rep at the dealership, he looked at it and shook his head and told the dealer to order me a new fender.

ultimatehillbilly

• CUSE4 Blue
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »

Well, I am beginning to think Rio Red carries a curse. First, at less than 50 mi from new, the flying wheel weight problem. Today the dealer says, "wow, this is the third one I've seen", I am OK,new fender on the way. Then after leaving and getting a few blocks, sitting at a light and thump! Some ahole tags me from behind. Says "I thought you were moving". Guy has insurance, OK, then I find out he is a rider. Cops show up, write report, the guy does NOT even get cited. WTF? Life goes on...........

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »

Well, good news is your ok.  Hopefully the bike will be soon as well.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »

Just found a related thread and was very happy to learn of this problem since it happen to me last week in I-10.  Will discuss with the service folks tomorrow-Thanks!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

Just returned from HD and now have a new front fender!! :2vrolijk_21:  took some time, as in most cases with special paint but worth the wait.  HD came through.  No questions, no problems.  Glad to see they are taking care of these issues.  Dealer also replaced the larger chrome wheel weights with the smaller ones.  Hopefully this solves any future challenges.

Bike is back to looking great without a ding in the fender!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »

Just returned from HD and now have a new front fender!! :2vrolijk_21:  took some time, as in most cases with special paint but worth the wait.  HD came through.  No questions, no problems.  Glad to see they are taking care of these issues.  Dealer also replaced the larger chrome wheel weights with the smaller ones.  Hopefully this solves any future challenges.

Bike is back to looking great without a ding in the fender!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

As it should!
Ride safe and watch those new weights, I know I am.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »

Three dings in the fender and Caliente HD got the new fender ordered at no cost to me.  The good thing is now that I got a new front tire it balanced without needing any of those silly weights.  I won't have to worry about the new fender getting nicked.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2011, 03:53:15 AM »

Has the MoCo made any recent comments on using dynabeads? There was a post somewhere that said either they don't recommend or didn't comment. With all the fenders they're replacing I would hope they would at least accept that owners are using beads or the other balancer options besides weights. Wonder what happens with the old dented fenders? Do they require that they are turned back in to the MoCo or left to the owner or dealer? Would like to find one for a project.
2007 Softail Custom

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »

Has the MoCo made any recent comments on using dynabeads? There was a post somewhere that said either they don't recommend or didn't comment. With all the fenders they're replacing I would hope they would at least accept that owners are using beads or the other balancer options besides weights. Wonder what happens with the old dented fenders? Do they require that they are turned back in to the MoCo or left to the owner or dealer? Would like to find one for a project.
They'll find their way to eBay.  Lots of front fenders with minor damage there. ;)..just bought one myself.  har.  spyder

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »

They'll find their way to eBay.  Lots of front fenders with minor damage there. ;)..just bought one myself.  har.  spyder

The box my new fender came out of, the dented fender went into.
Then shipped back to the MoCo.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »

I brought this up before, but take a look at Centramatic wheel balancers.
You will never have to worry about those ugly wheel weights again.

http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Harley Davidson
The "TAZMUN"

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »

Tazman, 

Are you running Centramatic wheel balancers? If so, post some pics of your wheels after installation.
IBA #63514

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »

Tazman, 

Are you running Centramatic wheel balancers? If so, post some pics of your wheels after installation.
Yes I am, and if I took a picture you really can't see them
unless you stare behind the brake rotor. I have an 06, and the rotors on
mine cover up 95% of the Centramatics. I have the polished stainless
and they look the same as my rotors. I have about 7.5k on the current set
of tires, and the bike rides as smooth as the day the tires went on.
 The Centramatics also have some kind of gyro affect, making the bike
"feel" more stable too.  I really can't explain it but everyone I know that
has them says the same thing.  I sure wish they made them for cars
because I'd be the first in line for a set.
I heard they make them for pickups, but not yet for cars. 
The "TAZMUN"

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »

Tazman, 

If you go to there website, they have pictures of them mounted on an FLH.
The "TAZMUN"

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

I brought this up before, but take a look at Centramatic wheel balancers.
You will never have to worry about those ugly wheel weights again.

http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Harley Davidson

That's what I was thinking about. I remembered someone had posted on this but didn't remember the name. Thanks for reposting on these.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Softail Custom

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »

Three dings in the fender and Caliente HD got the new fender ordered at no cost to me.  The good thing is now that I got a new front tire it balanced without needing any of those silly weights.  I won't have to worry about the new fender getting nicked.

8 days after Caliente HD ordered my front fender I received a call that it's-Nice turn around time  :2vrolijk_21:  No complaints, thats one for the good guys  ;)
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »

Its been a while since last post on this thread but I had the same problem recur.  My rear wheel weights were barely hanging on when I washed my bike.  I had this problem with the front and had to have the fender replaced but this time I noticed things befroe it caused damage.  Haven't had time to take it back to the dealer yet but wanted to know if there has been a "real" fix to this-any thoughts?
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »

MKW,

Go with Dyna Beads! Peel those wheel weights off & install the beads. It takes some time to install, just go by the instructions.

You will never have to worry about having another fender damaged. It is a good product & cheap insurance. The MOCO should install these from the factory. Wheel weight damage to the fenders have cost them alot of money.
IBA #63514

cvogeorge

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »

MKW - You can buy Dynabeads at Renegade Classics at 8650 Bandera Road and get them installed. Ponch installed mine for just the cost of the beads and didn't charge me for the labor. Installed them while I waited.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »

Hey,

I stumbled across this by chance, if you search Ebay (harley davidson rio red) there is a front fender and inside fairing for sale!  Harley Davidson of Folsom for $432 buy it now price.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »

MKW - You can buy Dynabeads at Renegade Classics at 8650 Bandera Road and get them installed. Ponch installed mine for just the cost of the beads and didn't charge me for the labor. Installed them while I waited.

Just saw this reply.  Thanks CVOGEORGE.  I'll check it out this weekend and let you know how it turns out.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 21 queries.