Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Front wheel weight dinged front fender  (Read 20262 times)

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
Re: Front wheel weight dinged front fender
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

What about taking the weights off and installing dyna beads inside the tires instead?
My ridding buddy had dyna beads put in last year when they replaced both tires. 4,000 miles later still rides great. Seems like a simple solution. Anybody eles try this?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »

What about taking the weights off and installing dyna beads inside the tires instead?
My ridding buddy had dyna beads put in last year when they replaced both tires. 4,000 miles later still rides great. Seems like a simple solution. Anybody eles try this?
Different riders have experienced different results.  They're working well for me.  They seem to work well on tires/wheels that are not out of balance more than a few ozs.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

eaglecat

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »

this also happend to me in 2007 on my streeglide. i asked to speakto the district service rep and he replaced the rear fender. take pics of damage for your records. the rep took pics of my wheel where the weights came off and the fender good luck.if one dealer dont want to help go to another different service mgrs have morepull then others. (EAGLECAT DETROIT).

johnnyboy

Heard the thump on the interstate. Pulled to the side of the road and sure enough the chrome weights fell off and dented my front fender
from the inside. Chipped the paint. Only 400 miles on my bike. Just sickens me and I'm sure I'm out of luck.

UPDATE: Just got a call from Glendale Harley Davidson, my front fender is in. Next Tuesday would have been 4 weeks since the wheel weights have fallen off and dinged the fender.
Going this Friday to have the switch out. I feel blessed that I was able to get this covered by warranty!!!!!!!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

UPDATE: Just got a call from Glendale Harley Davidson, my front fender is in. Next Tuesday would have been 4 weeks since the wheel weights have fallen off and dinged the fender.
Going this Friday to have the switch out. I feel blessed that I was able to get this covered by warranty!!!!!!!
Good job, shows that if you stay on them they will help
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »

I removed the weights on both wheels and put it up on a jack. pulled the valve cores and installed the Dyna beads. I bought the install kit. Fairly easy to do once you learn the trick to installing them is to just tap the bottle so the trickle in like a salt shaker and if the get jammed up in the valve core rotate the tire so whats jammed falls back into the bottle. Seems to work real good. I'm pleased with the results so far.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »

Met a guy at the dealership in Tucson during Az. Bike Week a couple of weeks ago. He had a 2011 SEUC that only had 2,500 miles on it and had 6 dings in the front fender from the wheel weights.  They had already ordered a new front fender for him....still waiting.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »

After my fender ding on rebalance tech moved tire 180 degrees and no weight was needed . Everything fixed and good to go. jdo

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
HD wheel weight comes flying off - denting front fender significantly
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

Yesterday, at 75 mph heading up to Savannah, GA, one of the front wheel weights came off- putting two significant dents into the fender.  One bad enough it broke the paint. >:(. Stopped into Rossmeyer HD in Daytona and after some convincing the service writer called HD and requested a new fender.  To my delight, no problem.  Got a authorization number for my local dealer to order the fender! :2vrolijk_21:  continuing on our trek to deals gap tomorrow.

Moral to the story - check your wheel weights and ensure they are not coming loose.

Hope you all have a safe holiday weekend!

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »

Wow!  I had seen this problem before I left WY 3 days ago and checked my wheel weights.  All were very secure, or so I thought.  642 miles into the trip I heard a loud "clang", pulled over, and the attached picture is what I discovered.  What a bummer!  I am currently in Abilene, TX getting the fluids changed and having the local HD warranty gal from Kent's HD look it over and make note of the damage.  For those of you that have this wheel, I recommend the following if the weights have not come off YET:  Reattach these sharp-edge fender beaters in some other method (glue?) or use some type of balancing that is done on the inside of the tire (Dyna Beads?) because they will eventually come off.  I don't know what HD is doing to correct the problem, but there is definitely a problem with the way they are attaching the weights to the wheel.  It may be that the surface that they are attaching the weights to has a slight convex curve to it and the double sided tape is just not enough to hold in on permanently.  Anyhow, now that the riding season is here, check your wheels out and do some preventative maintenance instead of reactive maintenance like me!  My 2 cents worth anyway!

Tweet

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »

Here is a picture of the damage to the front fender.  By the way, the other 2 remaining weights came off somewhere between Lubbock, TX and Abilene, TX with no additional damage. 

Tweet

eaglecat

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »

call district rep they fixed mine. same thing happend to me,

DAW

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »

I have two CVO's 2009 Roadglide and 2011 Street Glide, i looked at all 4 rims and see no weights on them, could this be right? the Street Glide only has  300 miles on them..

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »

I have two CVO's 2009 Roadglide and 2011 Street Glide, i looked at all 4 rims and see no weights on them, could this be right? the Street Glide only has  300 miles on them..
maybe you're just real lucky and got great balanced wheels & tires.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

III

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

Bringing this thread back up, just happened to me. 6000 miles on the bike and hear big clunk from the front while riding down the interstate. Weights missing and dent in fender.  >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.