Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Front wheel weight dinged front fender  (Read 20361 times)

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Front wheel weight dinged front fender
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »

Yesterday, at 75 mph heading up to Savannah, GA, one of the front wheel weights came off- putting two significant dents into the fender.  One bad enough it broke the paint. >:(. Stopped into Rossmeyer HD in Daytona and after some convincing the service writer called HD and requested a new fender.  To my delight, no problem.  Got a authorization number for my local dealer to order the fender! :2vrolijk_21:  continuing on our trek to deals gap tomorrow.

Update - Rossmeyer Ft Lauderdale ordered new fender.  Due in 4 weeks.  No charge.

Moral to the story - check your wheel weights and ensure they are not coming loose.

Hope you all have a safe holiday weekend!

ultimatehillbilly

• CUSE4 Blue
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »

Well I'm glad a came across this thread. Picked up my Red SEURG Saturday. Less than 50 miles on the clock, kachunk chunk... see something small in the mirror, absolutely did not hit anything. Sure enough, 3 dents, big chunk paint gone on one, that one protrudes out maybe 3/32-1/8". Dealer says don't worry, I guess we will see.
Maybe the combination of chit tape and over 100 temps is too much.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

Maybe the combination of chit tape and over 100 temps is too much.

Oh Chit another excuse to add to the Customer Service Replies Spreadsheet. "Sorry Sir we cannot cover this issue, you were riding your Motorcycle at to High and Ambient Temperature. Warranty DENIED!

Just like Chrome issues. You live in an environmentally unfriendly location we can only cover one piece of chrome.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »

Oh Chit another excuse to add to the Customer Service Replies Spreadsheet. "Sorry Sir we cannot cover this issue, you were riding your Motorcycle at to High and Ambient Temperature. Warranty DENIED!

Just like Chrome issues. You live in an environmentally unfriendly location we can only cover one piece of chrome.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

So far I  have had no problems with getting warranty.  I even had a small area on the chrome windshield band you had to look real hard to see it coming off and they replace that

On the weights mind came off Under 50 degres (not a  heat issue)
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Re: Re: Front wheel weight dinged front fender
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 06:23:52 AM »

Less than 300 miles on my new  2011 SERG, looked at front fender and found a ding from inside fender, its on the top of the fender but off to the side were the fender is curved around the tire, its a sharp ding, with less than 300 miles appears a wheel weight caused it, but dealer called HD and they turned ot down, I have  a refrence # and phone #, should I follow up and bitch.... to get something done, has anyone else had this problem, I hate to see the price of that custom painted fender....... :'(

I had a wheel weight come off several months ago and it caught the edge of the fender and took a big chip of paint off. Showed it to my dealer and they suggested that some touch up paint would fix it. Got a call from my dealer yesterday and they told me that they ordered a new fender for me. I was told that they received a service bulletin to replace damaged fenders caused by the wheel weights coming off. Don't know the service bulletin # but will post if I can find out.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

ultimatehillbilly

• CUSE4 Blue
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »

The thing that bothers me most about this is that this issue seems to go back a LONG time. Seems to take a lot of incidents before someone figures out there is a problem. Probably accountants alert somebody.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:10 AM »

My take on this is that they haven't figured out a better solution to the 'stick-on' wheel weights & their inherent problems while still needing to balance the extremely inconsistant out of balance wheels that they are buying from some low-bid source (china?)  Some of the wheels are so out of balance that you can not balance them with dyna-beads.  The problem with stick on weights has been known to them as they've requested that dealers return their on hand supply....so it's probably not just the faulty 'application', but also faultly stick on weights themselves in some situations.  Who knows, could be a combination of problems/errors.  But, it surely is a continuing problem that needs a solution sooner than later.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »

Mentioned this in another thread. I don't recall hitting anything (didn't see any road debris) but it sure sounded like something hit the bike and I felt it. Looked at the oil cooler and a brief check of the fender but didn't see anything. The night before I came back over to Iraq I noticed a nick in the left slider and a broken reflector. No reply from home to see if the weight is still on there. I guess it's possible that a weight could have caused this but probably unlikely.

Disregard, BSR ells me the weights are present as far as she can tell. Reckon I had to have hit something.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:18:50 AM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

Lost a front wheel weight yesterday and of course the fender's now dinged

Anyone have a copy or link to the service bulletin on this?

My dealer doesn't seem to be too good at getting this kind of news.  I had to educate them on the 110 recalls when I had the Serk.  They didn't even think there had been any problems with the engines!

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »

i don't believe there is a service bullitan on this situation.  Mine came off in May - dealer got it covered.  I know HD customer service is well aware of the issue.  My new fender shoudl be in a week of so. :2vrolijk_21:

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »

I lost the front wheel weights before the 1000 mile check.I have 4600 miles on it now. No balance issues. I just noticed an outward ding behind the forks on the side of fender. The new fender is on order. The MOCO  will replace it. I'll be checking into installing Dyna Beads.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

FltruseDave

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

Lost a front wheel weight yesterday and of course the fender's now dinged

Anyone have a copy or link to the service bulletin on this?

My dealer doesn't seem to be too good at getting this kind of news.  I had to educate them on the 110 recalls when I had the Serk.  They didn't even think there had been any problems with the engines!

Rio, which dealer in NJ? I had this problem back in August last year, I had the rep at the dealership, he looked at it and shook his head and told the dealer to order me a new fender.

ultimatehillbilly

• CUSE4 Blue
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »

Well, I am beginning to think Rio Red carries a curse. First, at less than 50 mi from new, the flying wheel weight problem. Today the dealer says, "wow, this is the third one I've seen", I am OK,new fender on the way. Then after leaving and getting a few blocks, sitting at a light and thump! Some ahole tags me from behind. Says "I thought you were moving". Guy has insurance, OK, then I find out he is a rider. Cops show up, write report, the guy does NOT even get cited. WTF? Life goes on...........

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »

Well, good news is your ok.  Hopefully the bike will be soon as well.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »

Just found a related thread and was very happy to learn of this problem since it happen to me last week in I-10.  Will discuss with the service folks tomorrow-Thanks!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 22 queries.