Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: DOOFUS IS SCARED NOW  (Read 6166 times)

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
Re: DOOFUS IS SCARED NOW
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »

get on, sit down, shut up, and hold on......to your wallet and your self....thiers always the other brand...  :oops:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »

Actually, when you purchase the Extended Service Plan, H-D doesn't pick up the tab, you and the other's who paid for the coverage pick up the tab.  H-D makes money on the ESP, the dealer makes money on the ESP, the administrator makes money on the ESP, and the customers pay for all of it.

While the first two years of the 110 were definitely the worst in terms of poor quality and reliability, there is nothing that tells me the subsequent model year 110's are any great bargain.  And having a dealer tell you the problems are "fixed" somehow doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, since many dealers never acknowledged the problems in the first place and spent the first two years telling everyone there were no problems as the oil ran down the cylinders and the ACR's failed and the cranks scissored.  The oil leak and the ACR failures appear to have been corrected, but the rest of the issues are still there.  Ask folks who work on the engines about valve guide/valve failures, crank failures, primary drive failures, etc.

If someone goes into the purchase fully informed and doesn't mind accepting the risk of possible reliability issues, that's fine.  But I still think it's wise to know the full story and not just the sugar coated version that a dealer will give you.  Yes, you will hear more negative than positive in a forum such as this, that is just the nature of the beast.  But this sort of forum is essential to offset the "problem, we don't know about no problem" story you will get from H-D and it's dealers.

JMHO  -  Jerry

Jerry as usual, you are the voice of wisdom. The ESP is in essence an insurance policy and like all insurance policies, it is legal Ponzi scheme. That's why you hear about actuarial tables so much. The insurance company sells 10,000 policies at X dollars, pricing the cost at what those actuarial tables say is their projected payout for claims. When you file a claim (if it gets accepted) you are paid in dollars that were paid by those who have not made claims. This is why when you have a major cataclysmic event such as Hurricane Katrina, the insurance companies go to hell and back to find ways to deny your claim since their house of cards collapses on itself.  It is also why insurance companies insure the insurance they sell you. Lloyds of London being one of the few that insure the insurers - -  but that's another story 

Can anyone tell me how much a 5 year ESP added to the orginal warranty was back in 2000 ? How much are they now ? Methinks it's a big difference and is based on the rise in claims. Just a hunch

B B

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »

I don't know how ESP works in the US but over here it's backed by one of our biggest insurance companies, ERGO Group. Until now they proved to be by far easier to handle then the original factory warranty. It hasn't been offered in Germany but for this year so we will see how they perform after they got the first couple of really heavy casualties. But their backbone is Munich Re and this outfit still earned really big money in the last years even with Katrina & co.

As our Mercs will pay the bill for the Harleys I'm quite happy with this scheme - after all it's in any case better than nothing  ;)

CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »

The only things I have to say is pleasures outway problems on my 2 110's if you listened or worried about what if's you'd stay home or ride in a cage.    jdo
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.