Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just what does the stator do?  (Read 4776 times)

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
Just what does the stator do?
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:42:37 AM »

Took my bike in this morning for 10k service.  They said they had to replace the stator.  Glad it is under warrantee.  Would have been $575. To replace it.  Pardon my mechanical ignorance, but just what does the stator do?

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
Re: Just what does the stator do?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:43:04 AM »

it actually converts magnetic energy to electrical current

what were the symptoms that were happening that the dealer had to replace

or did they just need a little more warranty work
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »

They never said what it was doing. I never noticed anything with the bike that would indicate any loss of electrical energy.  Battery level was always good.  Everything electrical worked. Maybe they needed the warranty money.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:07:18 AM by Winhawk »

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »

All big service's should have the dt hocked up to check for codes and that every thing is turned on or off for your model.
   thay should also do a complete battery and charging system test with midtronics. sound like thay did there job.
oh! theres no profit in warranty. i would thank them for doing what you paid for. so often it's not the case.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »

All big service's should have the dt hocked up to check for codes and that every thing is turned on or off for your model.
   thay should also do a complete battery and charging system test with midtronics. sound like thay did there job.
oh! theres no profit in warranty. i would thank them for doing what you paid for. so often it's not the case.

No profit in warranty?  That's unlikely.  I oversee 209 new car stores service/parts & collision and warranty is typically done at retail labor rate and parts at cost plus 35 percent.  Also, the warranty part is typically required to be sent back for inspection to identify what went wrong and quality control.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »

No profit in warranty?  That's unlikely.  I oversee 209 new car stores service/parts & collision and warranty is typically done at retail labor rate and parts at cost plus 35 percent.  Also, the warranty part is typically required to be sent back for inspection to identify what went wrong and quality control.

I would agree there is parts profit in warranty work, but not labor profit. The time that the factory would pay to do the job is barley enought time to finish it...and sometimes it is impossible to do a job within the time that waranty guidelines state. At least that's my experience from working in new car dealers service depts about 15 yrs ago.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »

cars and the Harley warranty are apples and oranges. parts are at cost and most labor pays 50% to 60% of time
it really takes.  and .1 to.2 for admin time.  thats it. parts break even and the mechanic takes in the shoot again.   

axil

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »

cars and the Harley warranty are apples and oranges. parts are at cost and most labor pays 50% to 60% of time
it really takes.  and .1 to.2 for admin time.  thats it. parts break even and the mechanic takes in the shoot again.   

axil

I agree with Axil,

The MOCO is not going to allow it"s dealers to make warranty work a "profit" center.

I do think small amount of  dealers may be efficient enough to make it profitable
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

Somehow the MoCo has been able to gain favorable treatment from the legislature and various governmental agencies over the years, such that they don't have the same rules and constraints that the auto industry has.  Auto companies are required to compensate dealers fairly for warranty work, and that includes reimbursing parts at normal markups and labor at the dealer's normal labor rate.  Of course the time standards used for warranty are the ones published by the manufacturer, not the fairy tales published by the folks like Chilton.  Any auto dealership that loses money on warranty repairs is incompetent or has someone cooking the books.

Harley dealers need to join the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association), or start their own organization, and demand the same sort of rights that auto dealers enjoy.  In the meantime, don't ask me to feel sorry for them if they don't make a fortune on warranty work.  They make more than enough profit on bikes and parts and accessories to cover the difference.  The guys turning the wrenches might get screwed, but the dealer is doing just fine in most cases.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »

Jerry your right on the money.

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »

Somehow the MoCo has been able to gain favorable treatment from the legislature and various governmental agencies over the years, such that they don't have the same rules and constraints that the auto industry has.  Auto companies are required to compensate dealers fairly for warranty work, and that includes reimbursing parts at normal markups and labor at the dealer's normal labor rate.  Of course the time standards used for warranty are the ones published by the manufacturer, not the fairy tales published by the folks like Chilton.  Any auto dealership that loses money on warranty repairs is incompetent or has someone cooking the books.

Harley dealers need to join the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association), or start their own organization, and demand the same sort of rights that auto dealers enjoy.  In the meantime, don't ask me to feel sorry for them if they don't make a fortune on warranty work.  They make more than enough profit on bikes and parts and accessories to cover the difference.  The guys turning the wrenches might get screwed, but the dealer is doing just fine in most cases.

Jerry

Yup I have never seen a Poor Dealer
FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.