Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil filters  (Read 2385 times)

89fxrs

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

oil filters
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »

does the M8 CVO use the same oil filter as the twin cams?
If you're talking behind my back - then you're in a good place to kiss my ass!!!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: oil filters
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 04:13:29 PM »

does the M8 CVO use the same oil filter as the twin cams?

Yes but they did come out with a newer filter for the M8 that is a little longer, I don't know if its out yet but have seen several posts on here about it.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »

Does it also still fit the TC? I assume the mating surfaces are the same ....so it should.

But....just ordered Amsoil oil change kits that come with filters.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »

Bulletin says only tested for M8.  TC uses the older style filter.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »

I believe it will be too long for use on TC engine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »

Odds are the new longer filter will interfere with the sensor on a Twin Cam.  The M8's moved that sensor to the bottom of the engine so it's not a problem for those.  Harley's own bulletin mentions, btw, that use of the new filter is not mandatory on the M8 to maintain warranty coverage.  If you already have a supply of the earlier style shorter filters, feel free to use them up on an M8.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

Odds are the new longer filter will interfere with the sensor on a Twin Cam.  The M8's moved that sensor to the bottom of the engine so it's not a problem for those.  Harley's own bulletin mentions, btw, that use of the new filter is not mandatory on the M8 to maintain warranty coverage.  If you already have a supply of the earlier style shorter filters, feel free to use them up on an M8.

Jerry

But out of an abundance of caution if you have several of the old filters and feel compelled to start using the new improved better happier improved sweeter and all-around hipper filter you can send all your old ones to Don Carey  :drink: .

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »

OR that.^^^

Jerry ;D

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tberg725

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 12:35:34 AM »

Jerry

That is correct!  Either way I ditched the regular oil filters and went with the oil filter from DK never gotta buy anther oil filter again and the added benefit of more oil flow and yeah imma catch some flame from this BUT on a dyno its showed to gain a couple HP on the dyno also the added benefit of being an oil cooler

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »

That is correct!  Either way I ditched the regular oil filters and went with the oil filter from DK never gotta buy anther oil filter again and the added benefit of more oil flow and yeah imma catch some flame from this BUT on a dyno its showed to gain a couple HP on the dyno also the added benefit of being an oil cooler

It takes significant (but not excessive) power to pump oil through the engine.  Using a filter that doesn't do much filtering reduces the power required to pump that oil, thus the claim of a small power increase.  You need to understand the trade-off involved (which they won't tell you about), and that is the fact that their filter will allow much larger particles to pass through unfiltered.  It's true of all the various "permanent" filters on the market.  They remind me of the bad old days when some cars came with just a metal mesh strainer and no changeable filter (yes, I am pretty old).  Case in point, the old VW bugs like the '66 I had in college.  Aftermarket add-on kits with real filters were a popular item back then.

Jerry

Tberg725

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »

It takes significant (but not excessive) power to pump oil through the engine.  Using a filter that doesn't do much filtering reduces the power required to pump that oil, thus the claim of a small power increase.  You need to understand the trade-off involved (which they won't tell you about), and that is the fact that their filter will allow much larger particles to pass through unfiltered.  It's true of all the various "permanent" filters on the market.  They remind me of the bad old days when some cars came with just a metal mesh strainer and no changeable filter (yes, I am pretty old).  Case in point, the old VW bugs like the '66 I had in college.  Aftermarket add-on kits with real filters were a popular item back then.

Jerry

I'm not sure about the back in the day permanent filters but the  new ones are really good and with them you know for sure what you're getting for example alot of people rave about the moco filter being 5microns but that is an a average number for the smallest number threw they dont tell us the biggest ones that come threw also during start ups they bypass so in the beginning you're not really getting any filtration same thing during high rpm runs the moment that paper inside cant keep up its bypassing but at the end of the day its each individuals choice on what to run but threw all the research I dig the permanent ones

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.