Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Toyota recall  (Read 11285 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Toyota recall
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

Well, well, well, the vaunted king of quality has no clothes.  I never bought into all that hype about the invincibility of the Japanese automakers.  I had an Acura and while it was a good car it did not hold up all that well.  After eight years or so it was really showing its age and problems were mounting.  My daughter had a Honda Civic with similar results.

So far my 2006 Buick Rainier SUV with 42k on it is absolutely perfect.  Never, ever been back to the dealer because nothing and I do mean nothing has ever failed to work flawlessly.  BTW I like it a lot better than the Acura.  

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Toyota recall
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »

Well, well, well, the vaunted king of quality has no clothes.  I never bought into all that hype about the invincibility of the Japanese automakers.  I had an Acura and while it was a good car it did not hold up all that well.  After eight years or so it was really showing its age and problems were mounting.  My daughter had a Honda Civic with similar results.

So far my 2006 Buick Rainier SUV with 42k on it is absolutely perfect.  Never, ever been back to the dealer because nothing and I do mean nothing has ever failed to work flawlessly.  BTW I like it a lot better than the Acura.  

Someone in Japan may have to take the sword for this one....   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »

Someone in Japan may have to take the sword for this one....   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Nancy's son is in Okinawa.
Can he get the sword after it's over?
He likes big shiny knives.

:2vrolijk_21:     :2vrolijk_21:     :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »

Yeah agreed....I think I will stick with my Dodge Cummins.....
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »

Someone in Japan may have to take the sword for this one....   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
Heads will roll.  And the supplier of those accelerator pedals, CTS Corp., is in deep, deep chit for sure (as well they should be).

IBA member # 45520

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »

Its a setup.
 There looking for some of that GM bailout money.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »

Some one is gone. :nervous:
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:32:06 PM »

maybe a toyota bailout is in the making ;) ;) ;)

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:26:35 AM »

I don't feel one bit sorry for them.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »

Heads will roll.  And the supplier of those accelerator pedals, CTS Corp., is in deep, deep chit for sure (as well they should be).

Hey, it's NOT the accelorator pedal. It's the floor mats catching. ;D ;D ;D ;D

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »

I finally drank the Japanes kool-aid and bought a couple of Subaru's back in '02.  Biggest pieces of chit I've ever owned.  Quality was worse, reliability was awful, dealers wouldn't fix 'em claiming nothing was wrong, price of parts was outragous, and the trade in value sucked. (Ya know... I thought I was typing about Harley there for a minute  :o ).  And they weren't any better in the snow then my previous front wheel drive Olds.  And this is supposed to be the cream of the crop when it comes to quality.  Better even then the Toyota.  So I'm convinced that the whole Japanese automotive superiority is just another self loathing anti-American pin head false claim.

My wife has a Ford Fusion AWD now.  Best car we've ever owned.  Anyone thinking of a Camry, I'd reccomend a good hard look at the Fusion.

I have a Ford F-150.  I love my truck!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »

Are there any members or their friends or family that hve experienced this.  :nixweiss:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:52:54 AM »

It makes me feel a little better about all the abuse we in the domestic industry have taken over the years from the biased media folks who have spent their time touting anything Japanese and badmouthing anything from the domestics.  Statistics have shown for quite some time that the quality "gap" has never been of the magnitude claimed by the media, and is currently no gap at all.  The media folks have spent decades glossing over and/or ignoring any issues that Toyota has had while putting every little recall or glitch from the domestics on the evening news and the front page. 

I wonder if perhaps H-D didn't get their ETC (electronic throttle control) ideas from Toyota, since I remember some folks complaining of similar issues with their Harley's last year.  I know the original response from Toyota seemed to be taken straight from the Harley playbook; blame the customer for mispositioning the floor mat.  Too bad people continued to die after following Toyota's recommendation to remove the mats and place them in the trunk.

One might think from all the media disinformation that this is now considered a "gas pedal" problem.  First, it would be nice if the talking heads could learn and use the proper terminology.  Second, the accelerator pedal does not have a way to open itself, just as the throttle grip on a Harley doesn't have a way to turn itself.  Perhaps they need to start looking a little closer at the actuator end of the system, and more importantly the electronics and wiring.  One thought that keeps popping into my head is the possibility of cross feed in shared circuits, which has been an issue with many automotive systems over the years.  Cost containment creates the need for shared grounds and power feeds instead of individual dedicated circuits for most items, but I have always submitted that certain safety items should have totally isolated circuits like the earliest airbags did.  Whatever the cause turns out to be, it would appear to be something unique to the Toyota system since we haven't seen other manufacturer's experiencing this problem with throttle by wire.

I heard a report last night that GM is offering assistance to Toyota owners who want to get rid of their Toyota's, with special incentives and rebates and early lease termination fees if they buy a GM product.  I love it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

Hey, it's NOT the accelerator pedal. It's the floor mats catching. ;D ;D ;D ;D
That was the first recall.  Now they find that the pedal and linkage itself can stick.  They have even suspended sales of several models.  This is a major league cluster.

This added after reading GRC's post above:  I though I read something about a cable sticking possibly due to moisture / corrosion ? ? ?   Guess even in TBW there eventually has to be some sort of cable to actuate the throttle ? ? ?   In any case it is a bad situation for all concerned.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:44:15 AM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

Ultra2010

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »

It makes me feel a little better about all the abuse we in the domestic industry have taken over the years from the biased media folks who have spent their time touting anything Japanese and badmouthing anything from the domestics.  Statistics have shown for quite some time that the quality "gap" has never been of the magnitude claimed by the media, and is currently no gap at all.  The media folks have spent decades glossing over and/or ignoring any issues that Toyota has had while putting every little recall or glitch from the domestics on the evening news and the front page. 

Jerry

VERY well said, could not agree with you more.  Hell, I'd buy this guy a beer!   :drink:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.