Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Backing the bike out of my garage  (Read 18290 times)

PassMeABeer

Backing the bike out of my garage
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »

I bought my new bike without thinking through a minor detail of getting the damn thing out of my garage and onto the street.

Because of my driveway arrangement I have to turn the bike around before getting onto the street. The problem is there isn't enough room to do so. I measured and have only 21 feet to make the uturn in my driveway. This bike requires a minimum of 30 feet to do a uturn. So I have to back the bike up start it and with the bars turned dog walk the bike 90 degrees then back it up (it is heavy to walk uphill!!!) and dog walk it the next 90 degrees and finally pull into the street. I am afraid that one of these times I will drop the motorcycle and hurt myself or hurt it.

I was talking to my neighbor who is a very experienced motorcyclelist. I asked him for some tips and he told me that I need to stay off the steering lock under power because that will cause the bike to go down if I stay on the steering stop. So now I have no idea how I will get the bike out of the garage.

I need some tips or techniques to back it up and turn a bike that requires 30 feet to do it in 21!  :D Seriously though what is the safest way to dog walk it around without being on the steering stops? How far from the stops do I need to be to avoid dropping the motorcycle? My neighbor said just leave a wide margin and I would be fine.

Thanks cvo friends

ultrarider123

Re: Backing the bike out of my garage
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

If you had a couple pictures to share of your situation, that would help.  May I also suggest if it's dangerous moving the bike around as you describe, is it possible to turn the bike around in the garage first and riding out?  If not, maybe one of these...
http://www.cyclespinner.com/

There's a couple threads discussing this and looks pretty good.  A bit pricey but if that's the only option, beats getting hurt/damaging the bike using your current options... :2vrolijk_21:

CALICO

• NL

• CVO1: Softail Convertible FLSTSE
    • My motorcycle pages
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »

Many new riders believe that a large touring bike requires 30 feet or more to do a U turn, however you will see many police videos where a U turn is executed in about 18 ft. A number of years ago I did a course with Jerry Palladino. He also sells a DVD called "Ride Like A Pro" After one weekend of practise you will be amazed with your new skill set. Check out his website and order the video. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/
Cal

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »

I bought my new bike without thinking through a minor detail of getting the damn thing out of my garage and onto the street.

Because of my driveway arrangement I have to turn the bike around before getting onto the street. The problem is there isn't enough room to do so. I measured and have only 21 feet to make the uturn in my driveway. This bike requires a minimum of 30 feet to do a uturn. So I have to back the bike up start it and with the bars turned dog walk the bike 90 degrees then back it up (it is heavy to walk uphill!!!) and dog walk it the next 90 degrees and finally pull into the street. I am afraid that one of these times I will drop the motorcycle and hurt myself or hurt it.

I was talking to my neighbor who is a very experienced motorcyclelist. I asked him for some tips and he told me that I need to stay off the steering lock under power because that will cause the bike to go down if I stay on the steering stop. So now I have no idea how I will get the bike out of the garage.

I need some tips or techniques to back it up and turn a bike that requires 30 feet to do it in 21!  :D Seriously though what is the safest way to dog walk it around without being on the steering stops? How far from the stops do I need to be to avoid dropping the motorcycle? My neighbor said just leave a wide margin and I would be fine.

Thanks cvo friends

OP had a really nice, albeit expensive solution.  A J&S jack will do the same and you can use it for cleaning and maintenance too.

Best,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »

Trike it, you'll be safer.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »

would like to see a picture of your drive, I only have a 15 foot drive way and have no problem getting my bike out, I back out make a hard locked turn backwards to the edge of the drive, pull forward, back up again and make a left turn and pull out of the drive,  been doing it for many years with every style of bike have never felt unsecure doing so,  no need for a U turn if your uncomfortable doing them.

boatwake

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »

Get a nice jack with wheels and just spin it around 180 degrees either inside or just outside the garage.  The Pitbull jack actually has a turn-table where you could just spin the bike around without even moving.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:11:55 PM by boatwake »

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »

A member here had one of these for sale maybe a year ago.....

Maybe would solve your garage problem....

http://www.cyclespinner.com/

Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

I drive my bikes into my garage and then "dog walk" them around (turning the bike around) into the parking spot.  I can then just take off next time that I am ready to ride.  My spot that I perform this maneuver is only a bit wider than one car width and I manage to have 3 bikes side by side.  Just take you time, be very careful, and make your the jiffy stand is down one you are ready to park the bike.  I forgot that last detail once and gently set my Deluxe down before lifting it back up.  I also take the helmet off, jacket off and turn the bike off (personal preferences) before I begin the dog walk process).  SJ Ron :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:38:01 PM by SanJuanRon »
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »

No MC requires 30ft, maybe with the exception of a chopper with extreme rake.  Any production HD can easily turn in 18ft. I have a 18 feet figure 8 outside my garage that I can easily do with my CVO Limited so it comes to technic and practice. (And that does not require scraping the footboards, heck 17 feet does not require scraping the boards.

I agree that Ride Like a Pro is a good start even though they only go down to 24 feet but the technic is the same so keep practice and make the circle smaller

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »

get the jack and kill two birds with one stone.!! :2vrolijk_21:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »

I measured and have only 21 feet to make the uturn in my driveway.

This bike requires a minimum of 30 feet to do a uturn.

I need some tips or techniques to back it up and turn a bike that requires 30 feet to do it in 21!  
Thanks cvo friends
Not sure what Harley you got.  However a Touring bike, such as Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Ultra and any other built on the touring frame will do a U turn in Just under 18 foot.  Take the Ride Like a Pro class and you too will be able to ride the bike in a circle 20 foot in diameter as many times as you want to.

You neighbor is wrong, with practice you can ride the bike in a circle with the handle bars turned full lock in either direction.

My wife turns her street glide or her heritage around in a single car garage, with both bikes in it. 

No harley that I know of takes 30 feet to do a u turn. 

Seriously take a riders education safety course, then take Ride Like a Pro and practice it.  U turns in 20 feet or less will be easy, with out ever putting your feet down.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CityLights

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: FLHCUSE7
    • CVO3: FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »

I will repeat what others have said .  Buy a "good"  jack and spin the bike in the garage .When the time comes that you can turn the bike on your own  , and that time will come , you will still have a most useful  tool . I have a Pit Bull and use it all the time . I use it to clean , wrench and store bike during the  off season.  Also the market is strong for a used "quality" jack so if and when the time comes to sell  you will get most of your money back .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:59:16 PM by CityLights »
Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope , soft underfoot , without sudden turnings , without milestones , without signpost's.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »

J&S jack.

Mine rolls so easily if I don't put the locks down it would roll out of the garage.

Makes it easy to spin the bike 180 degrees
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »

Not sure what Harley you got.  However a Touring bike, such as Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Ultra and any other built on the touring frame will do a U turn in Just under 18 foot.  Take the Ride Like a Pro class and you too will be able to ride the bike in a circle 20 foot in diameter as many times as you want to.

Dave, I've never had reason to try lock to lock turns on a 09 or newer bike.  The pre09s were commonly cited to turn in about 18 feet and I could get close to that.  Had read in several places that the new frame's geometry extended that radius by at least a couple feet.  Also remember reading about some steering head change and some related service bulletin for police bikes back in 2010 that improved this.  Perhaps the cop bike change went fleet wide after that.  Would have to compare some parts history to know more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 21 queries.