Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Gas Prices Going Down in Your Town  (Read 22202 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Gas Prices Going Down in Your Town
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2015, 07:39:42 PM »

Finally after many years of being ripped off by the oil industry the price is at point where the average man can afford it.

Those of us not living off the oil industry are very happy. I'll take a $1.65 anytime over $3.65.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »

This thread could easily become a bitch session pending on where you live..   :(
Letz Ride

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »

This thread could easily become a bitch session pending on where you live..   :(
Think you are right on point knothead, This is really affecting our members that are in business related to oil. It really hurt me when I was paying $5.00 for my diesel work trucks, can't make any any money if I can't afford to put my trucks, tools and people on the construction site. I don't know where a happy middle ground is at.  :nixweiss:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2015, 09:44:01 PM »

$ 1.72 for 87 octane cash or debit.
$ 2.84 for 94 octane non ethanol.
$ 2.76 for diesel.
$ 1.59 for E-85.
Today at Horizon.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2015, 07:32:24 AM »

Fully agree.  Lots of industries will be hard hit, by this not just oil and gas.  Lots of states will be hard hit, not just SD and TX.

Think you are right on point knothead, This is really affecting our members that are in business related to oil. It really hurt me when I was paying $5.00 for my diesel work trucks, can't make any any money if I can't afford to put my trucks, tools and people on the construction site. I don't know where a happy middle ground is at.  :nixweiss:

Price of diesel is just stupid and has been.  Back in the 90's and early 2000's I use to mess with my wife, it was more cost effective to drive my 1 ton crew cab dually than her six cylinder SUV.

The ultra low sulfur mandate has driven the cost high.

When the industry cuts Capital Expenditures by over 25% it effects many industries, truck manufacturing, ship building, steal making, construction, trucking, equipment manufacturing and many more.  This Capital expenditure cutback is causing the stock market to go down.

Many people will not have to worry about how cheap gas is, cause at 1.90 a gallon they will no longer have a job to pay for it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »

Still over 2 bucks a gallon here in NC.......................wooo hooo
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »

Fully agree.  Lots of industries will be hard hit, by this not just oil and gas.  Lots of states will be hard hit, not just SD and TX.

Price of diesel is just stupid and has been.  Back in the 90's and early 2000's I use to mess with my wife, it was more cost effective to drive my 1 ton crew cab dually than her six cylinder SUV.

The ultra low sulfur mandate has driven the cost high.

When the industry cuts Capital Expenditures by over 25% it effects many industries, truck manufacturing, ship building, steal making, construction, trucking, equipment manufacturing and many more.  This Capital expenditure cutback is causing the stock market to go down.

Many people will not have to worry about how cheap gas is, cause at 1.90 a gallon they will no longer have a job to pay for it.
very well said...economist suggest the economy needs to readjust every 7 years...election is next year..if you listen to the chatter in the underground news..We all need to start being self supportive. I don't know a damn thing about raising my own meat and produce.
Letz Ride

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »

My wife bitches at me for peeing off the porch.
She bitches if I pee on the porch.
We bitch when fuel is too high.
We bitch when it's too low.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »

Thanks for the best gut laugh I've had this week, Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »

:sauer024: :sauer007:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »

OK, I'm not an economic guru, or an energy industry guru... and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What follows are just my own opinions.

All previous comments considered... the American economy literally lives on oil. Like it or not, oil has been the lifeblood of our economy for the last century. Our economy is very complex, and oil runs all through it... Not only for energy, but also for petrochemicals that are used in just about any product you can think of. Oil is so intertwined in our economy, and the impacts of its price are so far-reaching - it's difficult for anyone to predict what will happen in the next 6 months, year, three years, five years, or longer.

Cheap oil has been good for us in the past, but we must remember that OPEC still calls the shots because their oil is relatively clean and easy to get out of the ground. Now, I just read today that the Saudi fields have been predicted to run dry by 2030 or so. Don't know if that's true - but even if it is, they have a good 15 years to hold the U.S. economy by the short curlies... and they seem to have every intention of doing so. Even when we pump our own oil aggressively, it's not price competitve with Saudi oil because of the cost of getting it extracted and available. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't, it would appear.

And yes, I do think that oil prices are putting intense pressure on Russia. We'll have to see how that shakes out... but I think it will have a short-term destabilizing effect on the energy markets, and also on Russia's international behavior. Kinda scary with Putin at the helm there.

I said before, and I'll repeat... I think its time to implement oil price protection to protect US producers. Don't think that we are "being screwed" by Big Oil. Tech companies like Apple, Mocrosoft, Google, etc. make 35% to 50% profit on their goods - but no one seems to complain. Big Oil has historically made only about 7% to 10% profit, but everyone goes into a hissy fit about it. It's ludicrous. And no, I am not in the energy business - so I have no dog in that hunt.

DesertHOG asked about investing in energy. I personally would not at this time, due to the instability and unpredictability of the energy markets right now. I was considering an investment in Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) terminal operators... but with the precipitous drop in oil prices, the market for LNG will almost certainly be negatively affected.

Ditto renewables... solar, wind, geothermal, etc. I think this market will continue to grow - and that's a good thing - but a large part of the cost justification for renewables is the price of oil. Renewables have HUGE upfront capital investment requirements, and it's much more difficult to justify these investments when oil is at $50/bbl. Heck, oil could conceivably drop down into the 20s before price stabilization.

A related but not yet mentioned topic is electric cars. With oil cheap, electric cars make little sense. Frankly, I don't think they have ever made much sense, because electricity is a derived energy source. It must be generated by using some other fuel... in the US, mostly coal in the east and natural gas in the west (albeit with increasing wind power in the west). Since the current administration HATES coal and has had the EPA trying to put the coal business out of business, I don't think that burning more coal (or even natural gas) to produce electricity that is then used to charge electric cars makes much sense anymore - if it ever did in the first place.

Finally, in regard to "orchestration" of the recent oil price drop... that's anyone's guess. Let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised at much of ANYTHING anymore...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »

And my wife is still bitch'n about me wearing overhauls since I meet you you in Arkansas in 09 Hogbreath...

ROTFLMFAO at both of these posts!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2015, 08:01:39 AM »

Ken,

Pretty good post, you are spot on with Big oil making only 7-9% profit where most all other industries make 20% or more.

The demand for gas has gone down in the USA and most the rest of the world, which is part of why we have High Supplies. 

Demand has gone down in part because autos get much better fuel milage.  It also went down during the economic down turn since the housing crash.  People were and are not driving as much.

We are seeing regular at 1.95, paid 2.24 for 93 yesterday and diesel is at 2.75.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »

I agree with most of Ken's statements, the exception:

I don't think they have ever made much sense, because electricity is a derived energy source. It must be generated by using some other fuel..

Most of the electricity in my area & the Catawba River Chain is Hydro generated, but the cost per Kw/hr flows with the cost of oil when oil goes up, electricity goes up.....not so much when oil goes down electricty stays pretty flat. I am not a analyst by any means, but somethings rotten in Demark.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2015, 07:20:48 PM »

I agree with most of Ken's statements, the exception:

I don't think they have ever made much sense, because electricity is a derived energy source. It must be generated by using some other fuel..

Most of the electricity in my area & the Catawba River Chain is Hydro generated, but the cost per Kw/hr flows with the cost of oil when oil goes up, electricity goes up.....not so much when oil goes down electricty stays pretty flat. I am not a analyst by any means, but somethings rotten in Demark.

Quite true... I neglected to mention hydro, which supplies about 7% of the U.S. total. Not a very big piece of the total pie down here in the south, but quite significant out west and up north in certain areas. I would think its price would be totally independent of oil... apparently oil accounts for a mere 1% of US electric power production anyway, and there shouldn't be any correlation nor justification for price moves like that.

I found this info from http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3 :

In 2013, the United States generated about 4,058 billion kilowatthours of electricity.  About 67% of the electricity generated was from fossil fuel (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), with 39% attributed from coal.

In 2013, energy sources and percent share of total electricity generation were:

Coal 39%
Natural Gas 27%
Nuclear 19%
Hydropower 7%
Other Renewable 6%
Biomass 1.48%
Geothermal 0.41%
Solar 0.23%
Wind 4.13%
Petroleum 1%
Other Gases < 1%

I also didn't mention nuclear, which is 1/5 of the total US production... even though we haven't built a new nuke plant in decades. I personally think nuclear is something we should be doing more of... provided it's done correctly. But I've also read that most US nuke fuel has been coming from old dismantled Soviet nuclear warheads for many years, governed by an agreement that will run out soon.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.