Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plastic film residue under seat  (Read 2112 times)

J B

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG CC
Plastic film residue under seat
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »

My SESG came with protective plastic film under the seat and on the top edges of the side covers. I assume everyone got it.
It's not the same as the 3M stuff I had installed elsewhere - this was not invisible, the edges were thicker, etc.
When I removed the film (using the process you would use for 3M stuff - just warm it up and peel it off) it left huge spots of adhesive. Bug and tar hasn't gotten it off. I don't like to scrub too much, so it's been on there for a couple months and I go through the motions with every wash, as though it is coming off, just really slow.

Any tips for getting this stuff off without harming the paint?
2010 SESG CC
Feuling Reaper Cams
Fullsac Cores
Wild 1 Bagger Apes
CycleSmiths Banana Boards
Walter's Workshop Extended Levers
Kuryakyn Plate Frame
LED Light Show by Metal Dragon
Seating by Corbin
Sound by Hawg Wired

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Plastic film residue under seat
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »

Don't have a clue how to remove the adhesive. Sorry. You do know that film is there to protect the paint from the seat rubbing it right?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »

You sure it's adhesive?? If you don't heat that stuff and pull very slowly I have seen it take the clearcoat off of the paint.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »

If it is adhesive left on try 3M general trim and adhesive remover. You can get it at Pep Boys

fatboy se

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »

The best way is WD40 it Will take it right off without harming the paint.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:50 AM »

Goo-be-gone works good.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:03 AM »

The various products like "Goof-Off" will liquify the adhesive rapidly, but the mess will spread if you just try to wipe it off.  And always be careful about wiping too hard or too long with that stuff, as it has been known to eventually soften paint.

I like to always start with the safest alternatives first and progress from there as required.  First thing I usually try is to apply some clear packaging tape to the residue, press down firmly, and then peel off the tape.  This will often remove much of the adhesive (may take several applications), leaving much less to be removed chemically.  Then I follow up with WD-40, which usually works great for adhesives and stuff like tar.  Rather than spray it and get it all over everything, just spray it on a soft cloth and use that to gently wipe away the goo.

When all else fails, head down to your local body shop supply place and ask for the 3M adhesive remover.  It's made to remove the adhesive from badges and bodyside mouldings without damaging the paint.

Jerry

PS    I recently removed the factory material from the side covers and replaced it with the 3M film.  The original stuff is probably twice as thick as the 3M film, so while it looks better I wouldn't count on it actually protecting the paint from constant rubbing from the seat as well as the original stuff.  Keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:08:11 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.