Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mikuni / carb question - anyone else experienced / experiencing anything similar  (Read 766 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Friday the Road King was ridden.  This morning it was the Road Glide's turn.  So this evening when headed for a meal it was the FXR's turn to go.  Hadn't been on it for maybe ten days.  Needle was stuck in the seat.  Again.

Anyone running carbs seeing this problem with modern fuels (I can only assume it's a fuel problem).

I got this bike a little over a year ago.  It had sat for some time and the original CV wasn't fixable.  It was an unrecoverable mess inside.  So bought the little Mikuni.

Like the carb and the engine's performance with it installed.  It dials in easily.  But if the bike sits long enough for fuel to begin evaporating in the bowl way to often the needle sticks in the seat.  Every time prior to today it had stuck closed.  Today it was stuck open.  So opened the petcock, started the bike, let it run for just a bit and look back to see fuel pissing out on the ground.

Has anyone had any luck with any fuel additive that would help avoid this with the modern fuels.  If ethanol fuels were avoidable I would but.... no such luck.

Letting the bike fully cool back down right now.  Will then grab another of my now spare needle and seat kits.  Think barring any panacea from the brethren or wisdom from the Travel Gods may start running Sea Foam in the fuel; if for no other reason than just to see if it makes a difference.

Ok, back to the bike.....

J.D.

Haven't seen this before.

As I come in after a ride, I close the fuel valve at the bottom of the driveway.  By the time I cut the ignition the fuel bowl is nearly empty, in theory keeping pressure off of the needle.  No issues after 17 years.

I typically run the Royal Purple fuel additive or Regane a couple times a year when I know I'm going to burn up a tank in a single day or weekend.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

It's all back together (this time) and running nicely again.  Off to dinner and back home.  I shut off the fuel bringing it in also.  Always have on carb'd bikes.  Just my habit.  Do generally fuel up at the same place close to the house so may change locations also.

When taking it apart earlier this evening I was surprised at just how stuck the needle was in the seat. With fingertips couldn't easily pull the needle from the seat.  Took it out with a little pair of needle nose.  On the Mikuni both the needle and seat are replaced.  Replacement isn't a big deal; but would also be pleased not to have to mess with it so occasionally.  Hopefully some Sea Foam and a didn't location for fuel will make a difference.  If not, well, I'll soon be setting land/speed records for carb R&R !

J.D.

Was it gummed up with varnish or was the metal corroded?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I assume the needle tip is coated with an elastomeric material?  See if Mikuni offers an updated needle using modern materials meant to be used with today's fuels.  The ones I'm familiar with from back in the day had Viton tips, and Viton doesn't like alcohol.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

I assume the needle tip is coated with an elastomeric material?  See if Mikuni offers an updated needle using modern materials meant to be used with today's fuels.  The ones I'm familiar with from back in the day had Viton tips, and Viton doesn't like alcohol.

Jerry

I have asked them.  They don't offer an alternative.  Yeah, it's Viton.  Nope, can't find an alternative.

Actually that last may not be true.  The needle and seat I installed last night was from a different supplier.  Guy on the phone (with an accent I barely could decipher) told me, "no, not Viton."  He couldn't tell me what it was though.  So no clue really.  Cheap parts though so worth a shot.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.