Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Progressive 12.5 B  (Read 19070 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Progressive 12.5 B
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2005, 08:59:33 PM »

WOW What a ride. Winter is over. Went for a ride and was off in la la land listen to the XM radio with the hog tunes when I started thinking this bike rides like my SE Road Glide when I remembered I changed the shocks. What a differents. Then I started looking for the bumps and pot holes. Ended up twisting them 2 1/2 turns from the top. I weight 250 and I got the 12.5 HD 440. Anyone on the fence about this upgrade, DO IT. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Brian I just put the chrome bezels pieces over my speaker grills. You don't have them do you.

Finally got some miles on the bike with the Progressives and momma on the back and yes, these things are a HUGE improvement over the stock air shocks.  My wife noticed a night and day difference in the quality of the ride.  I agree with lugnut and others, this is definately money well spent.

Although I scraped the right floorboard and bracket pretty hard on a tight right-hander, there was still a noticeable improvement in lean angle in more "normal" turns and this is with the 12" HDs.  With as little as 2 turns, I can see the rear of the bike sits up higher than with any amount of air using the old shocks.  How I can tell is I can clearly see more of the axle nut showing between the passenger side pipe and saddlebag than in the photos I have of the bike prior to doing the shock change.

Making adjustments takes only slightly more time than pulling the air pump out of the saddlebag lid organizer, removing the valve cover, and pumping air into the old shocks.  Even though you have to remove each bag and adjust one shock at a time, it takes no effort at all to make a quick adjustment.  We started out with 1 turn and ended up with 3.5 being the best for us two-up.  Solo, I will probably run 2 or 2.5 turns.

These things are great and like lugnut says, if you are on the fence, get off!

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2005, 11:13:29 PM »

I'm running 12.5 heavy duty 440s. They feel good to me at the softest setting. I go 250& hide solo allthe time. The turns on the 440s or air psi in the stock shocks won't change the ride hight , only The dampening. I may have missunderstood ,but it seemed someone though that was the case. If I were to order again I would't get the heavy dutys.Rideing solo I think I could use less spring preload
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2005, 07:39:01 AM »

I think I disagree with that, BAKRDS.  Turning the ring at the top of the 440s adjusts the spring preload, not dampening.  The IAS circuit in these shocks is what controls the dampening.  If you dial up more preload you will have somewhat less compression of the spring which can result in a somewhat higher static seat height and, therefore, ground clearance.  It wasn't a lot and I didn't take any measurements, but there was a noticeable (to the naked eye) increase in the ride-height of my bike going from no preload up to 3.5 turns.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.