Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: FLH Swingarm 101 and Rear Steer  (Read 44660 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: FLH Swingarm 101 and Rear Steer
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »

On the SERK, I have the TT, the urethane handlebar riser bushings, and the TT front motor mount, as well as the Velva Stabilizers. The SERK uses 17" wide rear and 18" front, radial tires too. Don't know the impact this wheel tire combo has on geometry. But this SERK is THE best riding FLH I've ever been on! Just ask Don what he thinks. It's my 5th RK, and 6th FLH overall, besides all those I've rented and ridden over the years. So whatever they did with this bike really works well.

Adding the TT, the AK, and the BT's really makes this bike feel like it on rails, while not undermining the ride quality at all. I love the way this bike rides and handles now! And I have no vibration whatsoever, even with the Performance FatCats! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Sounds like the only real differences between our bikes is that you are using the TT bracket instead of the Sta-Bos and the TT front mount instead of the VR front mount. Why then would yours ride so great and mine will be so rough it's only good for a bar hopper? :nixweiss:

:indian_chief:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »

Sounds like the only real differences between our bikes is that you are using the TT bracket instead of the Sta-Bos and the TT front mount instead of the VR front mount. Why then would yours ride so great and mine will be so rough it's only good for a bar hopper? :nixweiss:

Never said rough. Said it would be stiff. My Pro Street rides like a solid mount, not a rubber mount. :o

The TT mount is rubber, not urethane. The rear bushings are intact with the TT, not stiffened with the Sta-Bo's. Major difference in vibration control. Changing the characteristics of the mounts definitely affects the ride. I only added a 3rd link stabilizer to the bike to limit lateral movement of the swingarm, not stiffened the swingarm bushings. I've always used the urethane riser bushings and had no adverse vibration in my handlebars from them. I don't like my bars sloppy like with the rubber riser bushings. ;)

Hoist! 8)
Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

With the following installed I am happy:

True Track-original design
Velve Ride front mount (don't have their stabilizers)
MOCO urethane handlebar bushings
ME880's
AK20's
Progressive 440's

The above works for me.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »

Never said rough. Said it would be stiff. My Pro Street rides like a solid mount, not a rubber mount. :o

The TT mount is rubber, not urethane. The rear bushings are intact with the TT, not stiffened with the Sta-Bo's. Major difference in vibration control. Changing the characteristics of the mounts definitely affects the ride. I only added a 3rd link stabilizer to the bike to limit lateral movement of the swingarm, not stiffened the swingarm bushings. I've always used the urethane riser bushings and had no adverse vibration in my handlebars from them. I don't like my bars sloppy like with the rubber riser bushings. ;)

Hoist! 8)
Hoist! 8)

I'm confused what rear bushings you're refering to. The Sta-Bos are installed outboard of the swingarm and are loosely inserted into the rubber mounts. The bushings are bored out much larger than the pivot shaft and actually slip on over the nut on the shaft so they don't support any load perpendicualr to the shaft, only parallel to it. They're loaded in compression between the metal plate in the back of the rubber mount and the swingarm support plate. I can only see one load path, lateral, just like the brackets.

To me, they all do the same thing, at least in theory. ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »

I'm confused what rear bushings you're refering to. The Sta-Bos are installed outboard of the swingarm and are loosely inserted into the rubber mounts. The bushings are bored out much larger than the pivot shaft and actually slip on over the nut on the shaft so they don't support any load perpendicualr to the shaft, only parallel to it. They're loaded in compression between the metal plate in the back of the rubber mount and the swingarm support plate. I can only see one load path, lateral, just like the brackets.

To me, they all do the same thing, at least in theory. ;)

I only assumed they limit the rear bushings by inserting them. I don't use them. But if they don't change the rubber vibration absorption characteristics, then I guess you won't get the stiffness I thought you would. I saw no other reason for added vibration when some people used them and the TT. 2 lateral limiting devices shouldn't add vibration. The Sta-Bo's must stiffen something by stuffing them in there. :-\

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »

I only assumed they limit the rear bushings by inserting them. I don't use them. But if they don't change the rubber vibration absorption characteristics, then I guess you won't get the stiffness I thought you would. I saw no other reason for added vibration when some people used them and the TT. 2 lateral limiting devices shouldn't add vibration. The Sta-Bo's must stiffen something by stuffing them in there. :-\

Hoist! 8)

I hear what you're saying and I think you hear the statements about vibration when they first go in. The mfgr even admits it will happen and says ride it 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Either you accept is as normal after those miles and you no longer object to it, or they actually do wear in. We'll see I'll give them a go and ride them on the DC ride. When we get back I plan on pulling them and going for a ride to see if I can tell if vibes drop off. It will be a good experiment.

Who knows, I may end up with a bracket. I'm cool with admitting they didn't work if they don't. :) I just don't want to start off with one.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »

I think there may be more to the tires in this equation.  My '07 SERK has radials and I've never experienced anything that could be identified as "rear steer" whether in a straight line (hands off the bars) or any type of curve.  Maybe that comes later as the parts wear a bit.  My neigbhor has an '07 RG with stock bias Dunlops and after riding mine once he said he should think about getting radials if they make that much difference.  He said mine handled much better than his.  I have to agree with what others have said, at anything above 10 mph this is the best-handling large bike I've ridden.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

The VR front mount is still a question for sure. Hopefully the VR uerthane stabilizers will lessen the vibration the solid stabilizers transmitted to the frame. The Sta-Bos alone shouldn't increase the vibration any more than the TT or RS  would by themselves. How does yours ride with the TT installed?  :oops: I've also gone to urethane bushings in the bars which may transmit some additional vibes up them too, but then again the 575's are heavier which will tend to dampen that a bit. Lots of unknowns in the equation, so the end result won't be known until it's back on the road.

Chuck, I also installed those bushings with my WO 575s and can tell you that I cannot detect any vibration in the 2.5k I ridden it.  BTY you'll really like the 575s. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »

I hear what you're saying and I think you hear the statements about vibration when they first go in. The mfg even admits it will happen and says ride it 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Either you accept is as normal after those miles and you no longer object to it, or they actually do wear in. We'll see I'll give them a go and ride them on the DC ride. When we get back I plan on pulling them and going for a ride to see if I can tell if vibes drop off. It will be a good experiment.

Who knows, I may end up with a bracket. I'm cool with admitting they didn't work if they don't. :) I just don't want to start off with one.

Well, the 900 miles I've put on the bike with the Sta-Bos in has led me to the conclusion that they were the root cause of my vibration.

Why? It looks like there is just too much inward pressure from the swingarm brackets. They really get squeezed in there and it just takes all of the freedom of movement out of the rubber donuts. It would be great if they could perform their intended function, but still allow the donuts to absorb the up, down, forward and back motion.

Maybe it they were a bit shorter so the clamping load weren't as great they'd work better. I may try that as all I want them to do is to come into play to prevent the swingarm from moving sideways. As long as they can make contact to prevent that, they shouldn't need so much pre-load that everything gets locked down into rigid mode.

So, chapter one closes out with the Sta-Bos sitting on the shelf and the bike riding smooth once more.

vagabond6542

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »

Well, the 900 miles I've put on the bike with the Sta-Bos in has led me to the conclusion that they were the root cause of my vibration.

Why? It looks like there is just too much inward pressure from the swingarm brackets. They really get squeezed in there and it just takes all of the freedom of movement out of the rubber donuts. It would be great if they could perform their intended function, but still allow the donuts to absorb the up, down, forward and back motion.

Maybe it they were a bit shorter so the clamping load weren't as great they'd work better. I may try that as all I want them to do is to come into play to prevent the swingarm from moving sideways. As long as they can make contact to prevent that, they shouldn't need so much pre-load that everything gets locked down into rigid mode.

So, chapter one closes out with the Sta-Bos sitting on the shelf and the bike riding smooth once more.

So what is the answer to lateral motion? :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »

Same as always, TrueTrack! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »

George,

There are numerous manufacturers out there with bolt-on appliances. They all do the same thing in almost the same way. All have drawbacks, none are perfect.

Right now, I'm going without anything. The bike rode great before and it rides great now. If down the road I have a problem then I'll do something about it then.

vagabond6542

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2008, 04:32:37 PM »

George,

There are numerous manufacturers out there with bolt-on appliances. They all do the same thing in almost the same way. All have drawbacks, none are perfect.

Right now, I'm going without anything. The bike rode great before and it rides great now. If down the road I have a problem then I'll do something about it then.

Would appreciate an update when you do. :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »

Is the bike lowered Chuck?  Thats was the biggest difference I noted on the serk vs my 03 flhr...Didn't really feel any bad r/s on the 03 but the lowered serk was rather mushy on highway exits....But I put the ride-Str8 AND 440's on, who knows what helped what.  Shuldn't changed variables 2 at a time!   ???

vagabond6542

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »

Is the bike lowered Chuck?  Thats was the biggest difference I noted on the serk vs my 03 flhr...Didn't really feel any bad r/s on the 03 but the lowered serk was rather mushy on highway exits....But I put the ride-Str8 AND 440's on, who knows what helped what.  Shuldn't changed variables 2 at a time!   ???

On the bike being lower, Chuck had an opportunity to ride a lowered SMURF, he could tell you the difference.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.