Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: How to get black heel mark off pipes  (Read 22104 times)

bdk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: How to get black heel mark off pipes
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »

I agree Never Dull works like a charm, I have a can on hand all the time, great on chrome hope this helps

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2007, 10:12:41 AM »

Okay, so this is a technique that no one else has mentioned that I know works and leaves no scratches.

Get the pipes nice and warmed up (hot), then use a piece of soft wood, balsa or anything semi soft.  Stick the wood against the pipe and the wood will burn a little, just like wood burning, but it will pull the marks right off the pipes and into the wood.

May sound funny but it is easy and it works better than anything when other ways have failed.

I've used the oven cleaner sprayed into a cloth as soon as stopping the bike, and it mostly works, and I've used the razor, and it is scary, but mostly works, and the never dull, and it mostly works.  All kinds of chrome cleaners and they kinda work too.  But this burning wood idea sound pretty cool.   :bananarock: Thanks for the great tips.  I seem to be way to fidgety.  I have the heel guard on my floor board, but then I just use it sometimes as a heel rest, and the inevetable black mark on pipes happens.  I've also been known to melt the strap to my camera bag on them.  Melted a couple of microfibre cleaning cloths too.  So, my poor pipes have been used and abused.  Good thing there are folks like you out here that can help us heel mark challenged riders out of the black rubber jam, so to speak.   ;D

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2007, 11:36:48 AM »

I've used the oven cleaner sprayed into a cloth as soon as stopping the bike, and it mostly works, and I've used the razor, and it is scary, but mostly works, and the never dull, and it mostly works.  All kinds of chrome cleaners and they kinda work too.  But this burning wood idea sound pretty cool.   :bananarock: Thanks for the great tips.  I seem to be way to fidgety.  I have the heel guard on my floor board, but then I just use it sometimes as a heel rest, and the inevetable black mark on pipes happens.  I've also been known to melt the strap to my camera bag on them.  Melted a couple of microfibre cleaning cloths too.  So, my poor pipes have been used and abused.  Good thing there are folks like you out here that can help us heel mark challenged riders out of the black rubber jam, so to speak.   ;D

MrsWe...I did the microfiber thing the other day, and then spent the next 30 minutes undoing my brain poot with Never Dull.  Lesson learned... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

gnewcomer

• gnewcomer
  • FXDWG3

• CVO1: FXDWG3
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2007, 09:58:56 PM »

Ive read this in another forum and tried it myself. 
Your friendly neighborhood Home Depot or the like, in the plumbing isle. 
PVC pipe cleaner, works like a champ. 

I would suggest NOT using the cheesy sponge and wire applicator attatched to the can lid. 
I poured it on an old diaper, sponged it on and pretty much, am able to effortlessly wipe off the nappy gunk. 

works great and its cheap. 

you folks that keep yer hogs in the may wont to attempt this outside the fumes are pretty strong. 

gnewcomer
When you look down the road, it seems to never end “ but you better believe it does.

gnewcomer

gnewcomer

• gnewcomer
  • FXDWG3

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »

I would suggest NOT using the cheesy sponge and wire applicator attatched to the can lid. 
I poured it on an old diaper, sponged it on and pretty much, am able to effortlessly wipe off the nappy gunk. 

you folks that keep yer hogs in the house, may want to attempt this outside the fumes are pretty strong. 

gnewcomer
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:23:33 AM by gnewcomer »
When you look down the road, it seems to never end “ but you better believe it does.

gnewcomer

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 11:59:18 PM »

Get some highway bars to keep yer feet away from the pipes.  :)

I've successfully used Mother's chrome polish to remove melted foam peanuts and road tar.

I'm sure the Nevr-Dull method will work too. That's great stuff...used it to polish my brass in the Navy.

Be careful using Nevr-Dull on clear-coated chrome elsewhere on the bike. Mule hoof-prints and chocolate sprinkles are a b%$ch to remove.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:00:59 AM by DynaSoar »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »

you folks that keep yer hogs in the may wont to attempt this outside the fumes are pretty strong. 

gnewcomer

I tried this today. Didn't work. I tried it on both bikes. 1st bike the pipes were hot and it took a little piece off. Then I tried it on the SEUC2 w/ cold pipes and it didn't work at all. I may try that SOS pad trick.

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2007, 11:47:32 PM »

Does that steel wool really work?? Just something about steel wool on chrome that bothers me. In my mind, I picture it scratching the heck out of it.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2007, 12:12:37 AM »

Does that steel wool really work?? Just something about steel wool on chrome that bothers me. In my mind, I picture it scratching the heck out of it.

DS, I questioned it also. In another thread, Spiderman said it works. If it scratches them I'll just send them out to Calif.

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 12:14:17 AM »

I tried this today. Didn't work. I tried it on both bikes. 1st bike the pipes were hot and it took a little piece off. Then I tried it on the SEUC2 w/ cold pipes and it didn't work at all. I may try that SOS pad trick.

Parts guy at our local hd dealer told me to use oven cleaner. I was skeptical to say the least, not that it wouldn't  work but worried about what the oven cleaner would do to the chrome.  I  have also seen someone else on this  site mention it. I know for a fact that it works as I had the black heel problem a few times, until I just went out and bought my girlfriend a new pair of boots. lol. Have also seen it work on another bike. Buy a can of the easy off oven cleaner. Spray a small amount of it on pipe while cold. Start up bike and let pipe warm. Then just wipe off. I can't say for sure that it will work on yours but I can say I have seen it work at least 5 times. Good luck, jj.

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2007, 12:57:01 AM »

:huepfenjump3: Does it remove mule hoof prints and chocolate sprinkles? :huepfenjump3:

gnewcomer

• gnewcomer
  • FXDWG3

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2007, 11:34:40 AM »

Hmm sorry it didnt work for ya ...  Honestly, I'd be horrified to try the sos pad, unless I actually got to see it work +on somebody elses bike+.
I went an looked, the product I bought was Oatey's PVC/ABS pipe cleaner.   
I looked at the suspect boot's (wife's cheezy plastic heeled boots). 
So I do know that this stuff works good on plastic products.  I havent gotten my harley boots on the pipes yet so Im not sure at this point, if it will in fact remove the melted rubber from these types. 

gn

gnewcomer

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:34 PM »

Hmm sorry it didnt work for ya ...  Honestly, I'd be horrified to try the sos pad, unless I actually got to see it work +on somebody elses bike+.
I went an looked, the product I bought was Oatey's PVC/ABS pipe cleaner.   
I looked at the suspect boot's (wife's cheezy plastic heeled boots). 
So I do know that this stuff works good on plastic products.  I havent gotten my harley boots on the pipes yet so Im not sure at this point, if it will in fact remove the melted rubber from these types. 

gn

Well Unbalenced was the one who 'suggested' that I touch my pipe with my Harley boot to see if it was loose. So, the rubber sole of the Harley boot may be of a different compound than another type of shoe. The Service Manager in Sav said to try Oven Off. I'm going this route before the SOS pad.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2007, 12:27:11 AM »

Okay, so this is a technique that no one else has mentioned that I know works and leaves no scratches.

Get the pipes nice and warmed up (hot), then use a piece of soft wood, balsa or anything semi soft.  Stick the wood against the pipe and the wood will burn a little, just like wood burning, but it will pull the marks right off the pipes and into the wood.

May sound funny but it is easy and it works better than anything when other ways have failed.

I'm with SAC on this. I haven't tried the wood, but i'll bet it would work well.

I use a propane torch to carefully heat the pipe or exhaust shield, and then use a facecloth to remove the heavy built up deposits. When the heavy stuff has been removed, I use Simichrome polish to remove the film that remains. This method will not scratch the chrome.

You must be carefull not to overheat the pipe with the torch or it will permanently discolor the chrome. Heat the pipe with a moving flame until you can wipe the rubber or nylon material from the pipe with firm pressure. This works for a melted rain suit as well.

djkak

DynaSoar

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2007, 01:07:39 AM »

I guess my attempt at humor was lame.

Good luck removing the boot rubber.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.