Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chafing wires  (Read 2385 times)

rnich56

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Chafing wires
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »

2014 CVO Limited.  Got a flashing temp coolant light and a check eng light and the engine was running poorly.

Dealer told me they found the engine temp sensor wires chafing to an upper cooling hose, under the fuel tank.  Repaired same, back on the road.

When I got home from my trip, I pulled the tank to inspect their work and found more chafing wires.

Anybody else have issues like this?

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Chafing wires
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:33:53 PM »

My '16 roadglide did the same thing, 500 miles from home, in eureka springs. The guys at pigtrail Harley took great care of me. The fuse wasn't just burnt, it literally melted into a glob of plastic,
Fried both fans and killed the water pump.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

rnich56

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »

Went to the local Harley dealer and showed them the picture of the chafing wires and asked if this has been a problem.  Was told they have seen some like this, but Harley has not put out a service bulletin.  I would suspect that every 2014 twin cooled model could have the potential for this problem.  My bike has just over 18K for miles.

Trying to figure out how to fix this so it doesn't happen again.

Rick

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:50:11 PM »

American engineering at its finest. We do suck

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »

Along with the chafing concern is that line deformed by a significant rub on the rocker box?  If it is as the picture seems to suggest the heavy line would take longer than the wiring to wear through but the line, too, is a failure waiting for a time to happen.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »

American engineering at its finest. We do suck

Not ALL American engineers suck, but it sure seems like the ones at H-D do on a regular basis.  Looks like someone at H-D thought they could stuff ten pounds of chit in a 5 pound bag.  Can't wait to see the liquid lines spring a leak after rubbing as well.  Perhaps another new frame is on the way to make room for all the extra stuff?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »

2014 CVO Limited.  Got a flashing temp coolant light and a check eng light and the engine was running poorly.

Dealer told me they found the engine temp sensor wires chafing to an upper cooling hose, under the fuel tank.  Repaired same, back on the road.

When I got home from my trip, I pulled the tank to inspect their work and found more chafing wires.

Anybody else have issues like this?

A buddy of mine had a '15 street glide and his did this and they wound up replacing the entire wiring harness and it was a warranty job.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »

I agree. I meant HD in this case.

Not ALL American engineers suck, but it sure seems like the ones at H-D do on a regular basis.  Looks like someone at H-D thought they could stuff ten pounds of chit in a 5 pound bag.  Can't wait to see the liquid lines spring a leak after rubbing as well.  Perhaps another new frame is on the way to make room for all the extra stuff?

Jerry

rnich56

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »

Along with the chafing concern is that line deformed by a significant rub on the rocker box?  If it is as the picture seems to suggest the heavy line would take longer than the wiring to wear through but the line, too, is a failure waiting for a time to happen.

That cooling line is actually molded to that shape to clear the top of the rocker box.  That line was replaced by the harley dealer that repaired the shorted ET sensor wire because the wire harness had worn a groove into the rubber.

Rick

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.