Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Leaking for the 3rd time  (Read 12429 times)

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
Leaking for the 3rd time
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »

The first time it pissed all over was right after they replaced the Fill neck, they said there was a lose connection, I called their BS on that one.
Then she leak somewhere and not sure where. their fix was the tech didn't service it correctly ( 1200 miles or so )
And now she leaked all over my floor. ( 1800 Miles )

I'm going to give them one more try to fix the bike before I do the lemon law action.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Leaking for the 3rd time
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:33:27 PM »

The first time it pissed all over was right after they replaced the Fill neck, they said there was a lose connection, I called their BS on that one.
Then she leak somewhere and not sure where. their fix was the tech didn't service it correctly ( 1200 miles or so )
And now she leaked all over my floor. ( 1800 Miles )

I'm going to give them one more try to fix the bike before I do the lemon law action.

Contact H-D Customer Service, not just the dealer.  It may not get the bike fixed properly, but I'm pretty sure most lemon laws require giving the actual manufacturer the opportunity to intervene.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLHTCUSE7

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »

Do you qualify for BOTH??

A used motor vehicle is presumed to be a lemon if:
● there have been at least three (3) repair attempts on the same covered item, AND/OR
● the vehicle has been out of service for a total of twenty (20) cumulative calendar days for a single problem or a series of problems with a covered item while the dealer is attempting to fix it.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:07:21 AM »

Looks like my next step is sending a letter to the manufacture. Thanks for the link Rotarywing! I love this bike but I don't like having to look under the bike every time I stop to see if it leaked all over. Water cooled engines is not new concept. For the amount that we paid for these bike, they should be flawless.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »

UPDATE on my leak: My dealer contacted the regional Harley rep and they figured out the problem for now or think that have...... The problem is with the Thermostat leaking. Harley decided to come out with a new one without telling everyone. The bad stats have GREEN DOT somewhere on them, the new stats have a ORANGE DOT on them.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:25:03 AM »

So far no new leaks after they replaced the part

06fatdaddy

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »

Ok received my bike back for the same reason, three thermostat housings replaced.
Last one was done a week ago everything seemed ok, until tonight went for a ride came home started cleaning the bike for a ride for tomorrow. Just for chits and giggles i checked the coolant tank and surprise the tank is empty.
I did check the tank when i received the bike back from the dealer last week and it was full then.
Now what??? :nervous: HELP :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »

Ok received my bike back for the same reason, three thermostat housings replaced.
Last one was done a week ago everything seemed ok, until tonight went for a ride came home started cleaning the bike for a ride for tomorrow. Just for chits and giggles i checked the coolant tank and surprise the tank is empty.
I did check the tank when i received the bike back from the dealer last week and it was full then.
Now what??? :nervous: HELP :nixweiss:

Has there been any sign of a leak since you got it back?  Any sign of fluid anywhere on the bike itself, like at the heads?  If there is no sign of external leakage, and there should be if you really lost a full quart of coolant, I'd start wondering if they purged the air out of the system after the last repair.

Since the current production customers don't seem to be having all these problems that the early production buyers have had, obviously Harley has made several changes in production that have solved the problem, at least for now.  So it shouldn't be that difficult for them to just duplicate the same thing by replacing all the parts that have been improved or changed on current production bikes.  If they do that, and the dealership doesn't screw anything up when performing the work, it shouldn't be that difficult to get this problem behind you.  In the overall scheme of things, this is a very simple cooling system and it shouldn't be that hard to get it right. :nixweiss:

Have you contacted H-D directly about these multiple failures, or just the dealership?  If you haven't contacted H-D, perhaps you should do so.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

06fatdaddy

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:39:12 PM »

The first time i seen a few drops from the thermostat chrome cover, the thermostat was replaced that was number 1. Number 2 was a day later same drops replace the thermostat again. Number 3 came as we were in a group of riders and the person behind me said he smelled antifreeze i pulled the cover off to see how the bottle looked and it was empty. Called the dealer and they said ride it home and they picked the bike up the next day and they again replaced the thermostat with the orange dot on it. With all this no leakage at the heads. So now tonight just checked the bottle before tomorrows trip bingo bottle is dry and nothing is wet on the bike. Each time the dealer picked the bike up and returned the bike back to me they put between 5 to 15 mikes on it, so i would hope the air would of been out.
I didn't want to call HD yet. The dealer has been good to me. But maybe i need to do something since this is getting to be to much and can't do any long road trips fear i might get stranded.
This bike is an early production bike.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:39:16 PM »

You need to stop worrying about hurting the feelings of the folks at the dealership and start looking out for yourself and your rights.  Obviously this dealership ISN'T being all that good to you if they've had three chances to fix this problem and haven't accomplished anything yet.  If all they have done is replace the thermostat three times, it's not hard to understand why you still have a problem.  The early bikes had several other things wrong with them besides the thermostats.  Do yourself a favor and either contact H-D, or find another dealership to fix the bike.

Jerry

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 06:01:04 AM »

I went through the lemon law thing with an 09 SE RG.  The dealer was trying to fix everything and the MOCO did nothing until I hired a lawyer.  Within 1 week of the lawyer sending the letter, HD sent out the regional rep with a check to buy my MC back and the dealer and I negotiated on a new MC.  I tried multiple times to resolve it before the lawyer to save everyone the money and aggravation but moco wanted no part in that.  In the end, that is why we have lawyers I guess.  good luck.

06fatdaddy

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »

I will contact the MOCO today.Wonder how long these motors can run without any coolant.
This would be my second time i have checked the level after a ride and it was empty.
Thank you for all the advice.

Scott

06fatdaddy

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »

Here is the latest. Called the MOCO received a reference number, called dealer and gave the service manager the number. The dealer couldn't find any leaks, so now they added dye to the antifreeze and still can't find any leaks. Did a pressure test I'm losing 1 pound per minute. So now the fun begins start taking the bike apart. Wondering if anyone else had this problem..

06fatdaddy

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »

Update... After all the testing and etc the MOCO is sending a new motor. :orange:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »

Update... After all the testing and etc the MOCO is sending a new motor. :orange:

Porosity in the cylinder heads?  Can't imagine what else could cause the MOCO to replace the motor...   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »

When he said there were no external leaks found but it was definitely losing pressure and fluid, I assumed it had to be getting into the combustion chamber some how.  This is the first time I've heard of this particular problem.  I'm somewhat amazed they would replace the engine, even though that would be the proper thing to do if he has had coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and cylinders/crankcase.  Much worse things have occurred to others and H-D refused to replace engines and authorized dealer part replacements instead.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:46:12 PM by grc »

06fatdaddy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »

The new motor came in and when the dealer opened the create it was a 110 motor but its for a softail.
My motor went to the dealer who was waiting on the motor my dealer received.
The worst of this problem is my motor went to Colorado and their motor came to Pennsylvania.
The label on the box was right but the motor was wrong.
WTF people can't even ship the right parts to the right place.
So now i sit waiting for the MOCO to figure who F##ked this up. :nixweiss:
Rather then riding my bike this weekend. :sauer024: :sauer052:

sinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »

So sorry for your troubles and hope it all works our soon.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »

When he said there were no external leaks found but it was definitely losing pressure and fluid, I assumed it had to be getting into the combustion chamber some how.  This is the first time I've heard of this particular problem.  I'm somewhat amazed they would replace the engine, even though that would be the proper thing to do if he has had coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and cylinders/crankcase.  Much worse things have occurred to others and H-D refused to replace engines and authorized dealer part replacements instead.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
I'm guessing the motor Company wants the engine shipped back immediately for them to examine as they did with my five 110 engines back in 2007.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »

My update... After putting 600 miles on the last fix, I was coming home from work and felt the bike heating up, when I got home I found that the reservoir was empty. So i sent Harley a certified letter informing them that they have one last chance to fix the bike as per NJ lemon law. The dealer now has the bike and I'm waiting on updates from them..... I did get the dealer to give me a trike as a loaner lol
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:04:33 AM by cowboy7123 »

sinner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »

Ugh.....

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 05:05:55 AM »

Harley told the dealer to use TT430 to check the bike over. Does anyone know where to find TT430?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:25 AM »

Harley told the dealer to use TT430 to check the bike over. Does anyone know where to find TT430?

Open the attachment...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

06fatdaddy

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »

Motor is in and installed in the bike. :orange: The dealer wants to put some miles on the the bike to make sure everything is good. :carrot:
I should have the bike back this weekend.
Hopefully I will have many trouble free miles.
I will keep everyone posted as I put some miles on the bike.
 :)

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »

I got the bike back last Sunday and they told me that they did not find any problems.  it was another CND.

Sadunbar, thanks for the TT430!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:56:27 PM by cowboy7123 »

06fatdaddy

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »

Bike is running good. Put 900 miles on the new motor and the dealer changed the oil today.
Tech said everything looks good. :orange:
Waiting to hear back from the MOCO to see what they find with the old motor.
When i hear any info i will let you guys know what they find.

06fatdaddy

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »

Well i finally heard back about my old motor. They are saying its Porosity in the cylinder heads.
Glad the MOCO took care of this.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »

Well i finally heard back about my old motor. They are saying its Porosity in the cylinder heads.
Glad the MOCO took care of this.

Porosity in the cylinder heads?  Can't imagine what else could cause the MOCO to replace the motor...   :nixweiss:

:2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »

I filed my lemon law application, now i'm waiting for harley to come back with their reply. After the last attempt (4th time) to fix the bike and nothing was found, the service manager marked the coolant level on the reservoir prior to giving the bike back to me. After 600 mile, the coolant level has gone down. No leakage found on the bike.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:39:13 PM by cowboy7123 »

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

Update: Now I have a court date, they are trying to get it dismissed, it is not going to happen and its nice having a lawyer in the family!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »

Wow I am so sorry to read about your problems. It is odd that they would replace an engine in one case and fight so hard in the other.  I am going to keep a close eye on mine to make sure all is good.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »

Wow I am so sorry to read about your problems. It is odd that they would replace an engine in one case and fight so hard in the other.  I am going to keep a close eye on mine to make sure all is good.

That would be how any normal rational person would think.  However, I don't remember anyone suggesting H-D and it's "leadership" was normal or rational.  Or maybe the guy who authorized the replacement engine due to an internal coolant leak was on vacation when cowboy's case was discussed, and his replacement was a recent graduate of H-D's training class for customer service employees.  You know, the class where they teach them to disavow knowledge of any such problem in the history of the known universe, followed by advice to go back and talk to their dealership.

Jerry

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »

Contact H-D Customer Service, not just the dealer.  It may not get the bike fixed properly, but I'm pretty sure most lemon laws require giving the actual manufacturer the opportunity to intervene.

Jerry
That is true in NJ where the original poster is from. I initiated lemon law on a Vulcan 1600 five or six years ago. I had to notify Kawasaki and THATS when stuff got fixed. Traded that bike on a Heritage that never gave me a problem.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »

For the state of NJ, you have to send the manufacture a last chance to fix the bike letter. That was done over the summer. If the problem continues which it is, you then can file for the lemon law,  consumer affairs has to approve it first. Once they approve it, you have to pay a $50 fee. They then process the paperwork and set up hearing date.

In my situation for the lemon law, my bike falls under the amount of days in the shop and 4 times in the shop for coolant issues. I started the lemon law on the 5th time I had troubles with it.

They have been talking to me but I can not go into that part right now.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »

WE HAVE COME TO AN AGREEMENT, MORE TO COME ONCE THE PAPERWORK IS DONE.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 07:26:02 PM »

I had to do a lemon law a few years back with chevy. It's a long road but they will get you fixed up. Post some pics of your new bike. The one I assume you are getting.

Steve
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 21 queries.