Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Pictures of your garage/workshop  (Read 63018 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Pictures of your garage/workshop
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »

Good suggestion on the dishpan - I use a container with 2 holes in the top designed to catch oil.  No reason to catch the plugs - not like they are going anywhere.

Agreed on the warm oil comment also.

If I could figure out something to keep the oil away from the front of the bike when removing the filter it would be handy.  Now after an oil change I take it outside and hose it off.

I use the same type of container to catch mine, Mike...it's got a pour spout on the end so I can transfer it to the 5 gallon bucket to take to the recycle place.

I've tried several things to do the oil filter...a zip lock baggie slipped over the filter all the way up to the housing, after just loosening the filter, is about as good as I've been able to do.  A plastic soda bottle cut to fit underneath works too, but the baggie seems to work best for me.  Still get some mess, but it's not as bad.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 11:51:09 AM »

I use the same type of container to catch mine, Mike...it's got a pour spout on the end so I can transfer it to the 5 gallon bucket to take to the recycle place.

I've tried several things to do the oil filter...a zip lock baggie slipped over the filter all the way up to the housing, after just loosening the filter, is about as good as I've been able to do.  A plastic soda bottle cut to fit underneath works too, but the baggie seems to work best for me.  Still get some mess, but it's not as bad.

I take the used oil to the recycler as well, Terry.

I tried the 2 liter bottle top cut out, but it was a mess.  I'll try the baggie - thanks.  If the oil filter was perpendicular instead of parallel to the ground, it would not be an issue. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »

The dedicated bike bay.
It's like something out of "Monk" the detective.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:57 PM »

The other side before I cleaned it.

Oh! this isn't :confused5:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »

My bike working area consists of a 10x10 area in an otherwise full basement, with 1/4 of the basement taken up in a computer/hobby room, with a dark room off one end, 1/2 taken by two cars which always have a place to sleep inside, and the remaining 1/4 gets the two bikes, canoes, skis, camping gear out the wazoo, three cluttered workbenches, mountain bikes, roll around tool chest crammed full of chit, washer & dryer, yard tools, boxes of take off parts, and an excercise machine that serves as a place to hang whatever will hang there.  Shop lights consist of a half dozen of the 10 dollar specials from Home Depot that are nailed to the floor joists, with a chain pull.  There's enough room to do what I need to do with the bike though.  All that in 1650 sq. ft, so you get the picture.  It's a friggin' mess....

It's a basement....but I ain't takin' pictures.

I have a healthy case of OCD/AR, but it does not get it's fingers into all areas of my life.  I'd love to have a better place to work on the scoot, but it's not going to happen, so I'm not frettin'.

TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »

I wore the wheel bearings plumb out on our exercise bike.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »

I wore the wheel bearings plumb out on our exercise bike.

Now if that don't invite the dreaded emoticon
 :worthless:
I don't know what does. 

:huepfenjump3: :bananarock:  :cherry:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 03:55:33 PM »

TCnBhm, I was going to ask how you got the bikes in the basement, but, then I remembered you're in Birmingham. From the back you had to ramp up to the basement?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »

Now if that don't invite the dreaded emoticon
 :worthless:
I don't know what does. 

:huepfenjump3: :bananarock:  :cherry:

Pictures of the wore out wheel bearings? Or my Six Pack abs? Ok, that should read six pack belly button. Because I can ice down a sixer in my belly button.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »

I started with an 8x10 shed. I scored a set of glass doors from a customers house that I installed in the shed. this allowed me to get THE bike in and out. Next came some siding left over from a job. There was enough to side the front of the shed so at least it looked good. I later scored some more of the same color but instead of 4 over 4 it was dutch lap, close enough.

I graduated from that to a closed down car dealership. At that time I had a truck on 48" turf tires. I traded space for upkeep on the building.

From there I had the drive in basement of our first house. This was a 3 car garage. However it wasn't big enough to hold my big truck or my work trucks. So I built a 24x24 detached. This worked for a year than I blew out the back another 8'. We sold that house to build the one we are in now.

This house started with a 32x36 detached first, before the house was built. This allowed me a place to store all of my work stuff while the house was being built. This house was laid out with a drive in basement also (a favorite of mine when the land allows) That gave me another 26x26 for moms car and all of the kids crap. I later added (last year) a dedicated bike bay as the bikes were getting crapped up in the big garage with the heating and cooling of the building. I still have to finish the bike bay before this winter. The heat I installed last year worked but wasn't ideal. It left a film on the bikes. So I'll change that to some sort of vented heater. I'd like to get the big side semi insulated (the ceiling) as to where I could heat it easier than in the past. It just doesn't hold heat.

I've already considered another bay on the opposite side of the big garage. This would be my dedicated machine shop. It could also be my office if and when one of the kids wants to take the office I have now and turn it into a bedroom. Not before the house addition though........
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 04:20:57 PM »

TCnBhm, I was going to ask how you got the bikes in the basement, but, then I remembered you're in Birmingham. From the back you had to ramp up to the basement?

Actually ramp up to one end, HB.  House sits on a bit of a rise, with about half the basement underground, so there's winders on the end and back letting some daylight in.  Falls away in the back yard into a little scope of woods.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »

I started with an 8x10 shed. I scored a set of glass doors from a customers house that I installed in the shed. this allowed me to get THE bike in and out. Next came some siding left over from a job. There was enough to side the front of the shed so at least it looked good. I later scored some more of the same color but instead of 4 over 4 it was dutch lap, close enough.

I graduated from that to a closed down car dealership. At that time I had a truck on 48" turf tires. I traded space for upkeep on the building.

From there I had the drive in basement of our first house. This was a 3 car garage. However it wasn't big enough to hold my big truck or my work trucks. So I built a 24x24 detached. This worked for a year than I blew out the back another 8'. We sold that house to build the one we are in now.

This house started with a 32x36 detached first, before the house was built. This allowed me a place to store all of my work stuff while the house was being built. This house was laid out with a drive in basement also (a favorite of mine when the land allows) That gave me another 26x26 for moms car and all of the kids crap. I later added (last year) a dedicated bike bay as the bikes were getting crapped up in the big garage with the heating and cooling of the building. I still have to finish the bike bay before this winter. The heat I installed last year worked but wasn't ideal. It left a film on the bikes. So I'll change that to some sort of vented heater. I'd like to get the big side semi insulated (the ceiling) as to where I could heat it easier than in the past. It just doesn't hold heat.

I've already considered another bay on the opposite side of the big garage. This would be my dedicated machine shop. It could also be my office if and when one of the kids wants to take the office I have now and turn it into a bedroom. Not before the house addition though........

Yea, Mike....a basement is about the cheapest space you can build, and I really like having it, especially for the cars, as they never get too hot or cold.  First house I owned just had a one car, three sided carport and a utility room.  Enough room for a car and one bike if you wiggled it in just right.  Built a shed out back for my then brother in laws Honda 750K (wasn't that the one with 4 pipes?) while he was off in Germany, and took care of it by riding it on occasion.

I've got a space to build a detached place for the bikes and a better workshop, but I think I'll hold off 'till I make my last move once I retire.  Then the place for toys will probably be bigger than my living space requirements.  I don't need much space for me and Suzanne, and my dogs.

TTS Mastertune

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »

I take the used oil to the recycler as well, Terry.

I tried the 2 liter bottle top cut out, but it was a mess.  I'll try the baggie - thanks.  If the oil filter was perpendicular instead of parallel to the ground, it would not be an issue. 

Has anyone ever tried this from eglide goodies ?

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id15.html

Curious as to how well it would work ?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »

The reason I suggested the plastic dish pan is the ready made oil change pans are not big enough to catch the oil from all three holes and the filter. As regards the filter, simply cut a piece of cardboard about 10" wide and a foot long. Roll it a bit lengthwise and slide it under the oil filter. When you unscrew the oil filter, the oil runs down the cardboard and into the pan. Leave it there till you screw the new filter back on.

B B

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 10:03:24 PM »

Has anyone ever tried this from eglide goodies ?

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id15.html

Curious as to how well it would work ?

Don't waste your money, Its sucks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.