Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TGS Question. Probably a stupid question but I'm desperate  (Read 2386 times)

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
TGS Question. Probably a stupid question but I'm desperate
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »

To make a long story short, I'm replacing the handlebars and while pulling the TGS(fly-by-wire) wires through the new bars they took a real beating. So after getting the TGS Molex connector and the handlebar control connectors back together and hooked up, I wanted to check for errors since I was nervous. Sure enough, the SEST software throws 2 different TGS codes, a correlation error and a reduced idle error.
I ohmed the wires and am sure they're in the right position in the connectors. So my question is, would it matter that all the remaining connections are still disconnected that may help cause the codes? I'm talking about the speedometer, tach, cruise on/off, etc.

I suppose I'll go buy another TGS tomorrow and plug it in and see if the code stays.

robertg

• Full CVO Member
Re: TGS Question. Probably a stupid question but I'm desperate
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

I've never had a bike throw an error code with the speedo or switches not connected. What kind of a bike do you have?

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »

It's an 09 SERG.  I'm using the SEST software to look at the DTC's.  It's just strange to me that the throttle position indication on the software responds perfectly when you twist the grip, but the DTC shows the 2 codes 1510 and 2138. 
Whats even more strange is that I hooked the speedo up and they dont show any codes.   Learning can be painful sometime... :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »

It's an 09 SERG.  I'm using the SEST software to look at the DTC's.  It's just strange to me that the throttle position indication on the software responds perfectly when you twist the grip, but the DTC shows the 2 codes 1510 and 2138. 
Whats even more strange is that I hooked the speedo up and they dont show any codes.   Learning can be painful sometime... :nixweiss:

Clear the codes and power it up again.  If the codes repeat, recheck the connections.  I assume you removed the pins from the connector to run the wires; make sure the pins are locked into the connector and you have zero resistance across the connection.  Any measureable resistance/voltage drop is too much.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »

Thank you grc,   turned out to be the TGS.  Those things must be picky and moody.  The wires ohmed out and I could watch the throttle percentage react perfectly but evidently there must have been a parameter out of whack somewhere. All the pulling and tugging took it's toll.

$90 later the DTC's are clear.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.