Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow EVO  (Read 6211 times)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
Slow EVO
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »

OK here goes,  my brother has a 97 Heritage that isn't fast enough he says.  He has had the bike for about 2 years and just last weekend he decides to see just how fast it will go.  Well about 82 or so is it.  The bike is kinda cold natured so cranking is kinda hard. going thru all 5 gears the bike has no problems at all,  very reponsive, no excessive engine noise.  plenty of power it seems to have.  but after you get her up to about 70 to 75,  from there on it takes some going to get it up to 80.  After that, that's pretty much it.  Is this normal for an engine of this year model or not.  I know these engines are not built for speed but for torque.  But wouldn't you think it should be good for at least a 100 mph.   
Jimmy

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Slow EVO
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »

I have a 96 wide glide, my first motor upgrades included ss ecarb, crane hi 4 ignition and coils, andrews ev 27 cam. Running 2-up was at 110mph and still had more. Since then a lot more changes but back then I really liked that ev 27, pulled all the way through to 6k.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

My 97 Wide Glide got to just over 90 going down hill in Montana, back when they had no speed limit.  If the Heritage has a windshield, I'll bet that's as good as it gets for a stock evo.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »

OK here goes,  my brother has a 97 Heritage that isn't fast enough he says.  He has had the bike for about 2 years and just last weekend he decides to see just how fast it will go.  Well about 82 or so is it.  The bike is kinda cold natured so cranking is kinda hard. going thru all 5 gears the bike has no problems at all,  very reponsive, no excessive engine noise.  plenty of power it seems to have.  but after you get her up to about 70 to 75,  from there on it takes some going to get it up to 80.  After that, that's pretty much it.  Is this normal for an engine of this year model or not.  I know these engines are not built for speed but for torque.  But wouldn't you think it should be good for at least a 100 mph.   

Bone stock or what?
My stock '95 was a dog also.
HOGMIKE

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »

The backing plate on the air filter is not there, so I guess it has had something done to the carb,  not sure, it was bought this way.  It does have a winshield, and my brother removed the samson longshots that were on it and installed the rinehart's that come close to the middle of the back wheel.   As for the cold nature of the bike,  kinda of hard to start first thing, but then runs great.  But anytime you kill it and let it sit for awhile,  you have to choke the Heck out of it to fire it back up, so didn't know if this was normal or maybe if he was having some carb problems.  I have never owned an EVO,  just relaying the info to you that my bro gave me.  Like I said earlier,  the bike runs great, plenty of pulling power,  just not anything after 80.  It is a 97 Heritage Classic with about 45000 miles on it.  Does not leak or use any oil, just a good looking, great running bike, but nothing after 80.  He is kinda upset about this, but I told him that, Hey! you have had this bike for 2 years and you have just now found out that 80 is it's top end.  NO BIG DEAL !   This bike wasn't built for speed.  But anyway I told him I would put this word out for him and see what the EVO world could tell us.  He thinks that maybe he should put it in the shop and let Harley take a look at it, charge him about 300.00 for a DYNO and Carb rebuild,  but maybe this might help, but again,  He and I are not EVO experienced to know if this is normal or not.  Thanks for any input GUYS.
Jimmy

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:41:25 PM »

My 97 WG has an Andrews EV27 cam and the enrichener circuit has been opened as was often done on a CV carb.  It also has the air cleaner backing plate opened up and now has a V&H Pro Pipe on it.  I think that if your brother will remove the windshield and run it again, he'll find a little better results, but, you're not going to get much out of it, unless you start working the motor.  Other than high speed (and the cold natured stuff) does he have a problem with it's power?  You should be able to get rid of some of the ocld natured stuff, but it will take a good carb man to do it.  Most of the wrenches in the dealers now only now R&R, not tuning, especially on a carbed bike.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »

does it have a vaccum operated petcok?...most changed them out and got bikes to run better top end speeds....and it should make starting go better too :2vrolijk_21:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »

My '94 Evo is cold-natured and takes awhile to warm up while not using too much enrichener (or you'll foul the plugs), but that's why it gets around 50mpg.  It runs great, just not like a hot rod.....his bike should do 100 mph without a sail and too much baggage.....I think your advice to enjoy it for what it is was right on the money.  He's not going to run with the big motors without spending the $$$$.  ;) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »

I have a 1995 FLSTN which I bought new from Van Nuys Harley in SOCAL. It came with 32/65 gearing. I rejetted the carb with the high flow  air filter, and added the original SE mufflers. With the stock cam it would do almost 100 in 4th. I made the mistake of putting an EV13 cam in it. The stock cam was much better. Cam wise I would go no bigger than an EV27 I have heard good things about them. Maybe check your timing and advance. You should be able to go faster than 80mph even with a windshield. cahdbiker

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »

The BIG problem is that all Softails,'95 & up are geared like dogs.  :( Keeps vibration down at cruise speeds.They will probably run more mile per hour in 4th than in 5th.Change the ratio to a 3.37 final,and you'll think it's a different bike. :)
John

SD

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »

Had a 95 EVO. Motor was definitely slow.  Others (stock 2007 Softail) would run off and leave it. Put a K&N Air filter, Andrews EV-27 cam in it. Better but still would not reach 100.  85 was tops before the work   around 90 after.

Like what was said, you will not run with the big boys unless you get engine work or a different bike. I now have a 2006 Screaming Eagle Fatboy. Much much faster

SD

SD

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »

Thought I would show you a picture of my 1995 EVo Fatboy.  Bike was sold a year ago but would not get past the low 80's until cam work and air filter work was done.  Nice but slow.

SD

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »

put the edelbrock rpm kit (heads, cam, pistons, mikuni) on my 95 flhtc about 5-6 years ago. really woke motor up.
85hp, 86 tq. still happy.
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.