Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speedometer & Tachometer upgrade  (Read 1570 times)

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI2
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • My CVO Bikes
Speedometer & Tachometer upgrade
« on: November 24, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »

Call me crazy.  But, now that it's below 35 degrees in CT, I started to do my upgrades to my 2 bikes. An 05 SEEG and an 01 SERG.  I bought a Aluminum Spun Oil Temp Gauge, for the 05 (75320-05) and after much ado, I have come to realize what a privilege it is to be part of this forum.  The local folks at my HD dealer just don't know what they are taking about!  So I read the threads and I now know how to "really install it".  At the same time I have the fairing off of the SERG to install a set of HID lights and new J&M speakers, as well as having the inner fairing painted. So I am tinkering in the garage and while my air temp gauge is out of the 05, I plug it into the 01 SERG and it still works.  I then tried the fuel gauge, same interface same results.  So I am thinking that this looks pretty cool, assuming that the 4 small gauges fit and function I thought that I'd try the speedo and tach.  So I go to E-Bay and get a new (or re manufactured?) set , for a really reasonable price.  (less than 1/2 the price at HD)  I tested them on the 05 and they work fine.

Different plug jack interfaces, same amount of pins as the 01.  I haven't taken the manuals out yet to see if I can just get a pair of new plug jacks, move some wires around and have a set of Aluminum spun gauges on my 01 (tach & speedo). Before I start performing a labodomy instead of brain surgery, I thought that I'd ask around to see if anyone has thought of doing this or has done it and if it is possible.  The folks at HD say NF'n way.  But they say that for lots of things.  They only have answers for square pegs for round and square holes. And will sell you a knife to make them fit.  And it still won't work. Not that I want to go off on a tangent here,but I have to say, They sold me the gauge knowing that I have a 05 SEEG, but didn't tell me that their instructions required me to buy a new transition cover to hide the oil lines from this kit. But the cover fit and one doesn't exist if you have a hydraulic clutch :o.  So in fact the gauge was not meant to fit my bike to start with, even though they say it does.  Sure, if you want to drive around with all of the crap exposed. But back to the task at hand....

I saw a company named Dakota that sells digital read out set ups for both of my bikes so I think that it can be done.  I think I can.  I think I can.I think I can.I think I can.I think I can. :'(

So I figured that I would toss this out there, on this site of all sites, for the CVO owner and see what came back. :nervous:

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or experience that you kind folks may share with me or pass my way.  Either good , bad or indifferent news.  Any guidance is appreciated!

Jack
It's all about the ride & the people you ride with.

2005 FLHTCSE2, Luxury & Teal Green, AKA: SEEG

2001 FLTRSEI2- WAS 100% stock, Black, Platinum silver & Charcoal, AKA: SERG.

2009 FLTRSE3, Stardust Silver & Titanium Dust, AKA: SERG.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Speedometer & Tachometer upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:51:45 AM »

The 04+ bikes use the J1850 data bus for communications with the TSSM/TSM module so there are some functions / features that would not be used on the older model. I have seen the newer style spun guages on an 03 RG but not sure what it entaled to make the change.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »

Talked to the Dakota guy at Sturgis. Has a really neat product and the gauges look cool. Only $1100 for the set of six. Says installation is all plug and play.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »

Talked to the Dakota guy at Sturgis. Has a really neat product and the gauges look cool. Only $1100 for the set of six. Says installation is all plug and play.

Depending on the year this is true, on 02 down models you need to calibrate the speedo. This process is a bit of a PIA.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.