Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Stock Heat Shields w/Aftermarket Exhaust  (Read 4991 times)

NoTolerance

• Cogito, ergo sum armatus.
    • WI

• CVO1: 2018 Ultra Limited Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2019 Ultra Limited Magnetic Grey Fade
Stock Heat Shields w/Aftermarket Exhaust
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:34 PM »

Hey Folks -

I picked up a 2019 Limited CVO yesterday. This is my 4th Harley and my 2nd CVO.

On my last CVO (2018 Limited Anniversary model), heat was a real issue, so I replaced my headers, slip-ons, and air cleaner. I also used air deflector wings from DK Custom Products. All that seemed to help considerably.

I plan on doing the same on the new bike, but I have a dilemma. I really like the stock heat shields and end caps.

Are there any good quality aftermarket headers that will match up with the Harley heat shields? Or do I need to just settle for whatever flat black shields come with the new exhaust I buy?

Also - and I'm being lazy here, so feel free to tell me to get off my ass and go look - are the end caps on the stock Harley mufflers removable so I can use them on a different set of slip-ons, or are they using some sort of proprietary set-up where they'll only match up with Harley slip-ons?

Thanks!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Stock Heat Shields w/Aftermarket Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »

there are a few aftermarket headpipes that will match up with the stock heatshields.  fuelmoto and fullsac are 2 right off the top of my head.

their are some cvo end cap replacements, but they are not the same as the ones that fit the street cannons.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:04:23 PM »

Try TAB Performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

NoTolerance

• WI

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »

Try TAB Performance?

I used their slip-ons on my last CVO and liked them.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »

I used their slip-ons on my last CVO and liked them.

Did you have Zombie baffles? If so were they too loud?

Using Tapatalk

NoTolerance

• WI

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »

Did you have Zombie baffles? If so were they too loud?

I've actually tried all 3: 1.75", 2.5", and Zombie.

I ordered them with the 2.5" originally and really liked the sound, but wanted a little more rumble, so I went to the Zombie baffles. With stock headers, I thought the Zombies were about perfect. When I switched out my headers (from stock to V&H Dresser Duals), the Zombies were WAY too loud. So I swapped in the 2.5" ones again. I still felt like it was too loud. Ended up ordering the 1.75" baffles and out those in and thought it was pretty much back to perfect.

I like a good, deep rumble, but I also like to hear my radio and don't feel the need to piss off all the neighbors every time I leave or come home, if that gives you an idea of where I like my sound to be.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:34:59 AM »

I've actually tried all 3: 1.75", 2.5", and Zombie.

I ordered them with the 2.5" originally and really liked the sound, but wanted a little more rumble, so I went to the Zombie baffles. With stock headers, I thought the Zombies were about perfect. When I switched out my headers (from stock to V&H Dresser Duals), the Zombies were WAY too loud. So I swapped in the 2.5" ones again. I still felt like it was too loud. Ended up ordering the 1.75" baffles and out those in and thought it was pretty much back to perfect.

I like a good, deep rumble, but I also like to hear my radio and don't feel the need to piss off all the neighbors every time I leave or come home, if that gives you an idea of where I like my sound to be.

Thanks. That’s really helpful as I’ve been struggling to decide which to order.

Using Tapatalk

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:25:04 AM »

I bought a fuelmoto headpipe for my bike and the stock heat shields go right over no problem. As for the mufflers I bought the fullsac 2.5" cores with the tech mats and drilled out the stock baffles from the factory mufflers. Really pleased with out it sounds but that is on a twin cam, not sure about the m8.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:01:07 PM »

Fullsac!  Went with 2.25's with tech Mat to start.  Took tec mount out, then ordered front pipe.  Love the sound & all of it under stock shields & using stock cans & end caps.  Love it and Steve is great to work with.  17' CVO 114
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:03:46 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

NoTolerance

• WI

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 02:22:00 AM »

Fullsac!  Went with 2.25's with tech Mat to start.  Took tec mount out, then ordered front pipe.  Love the sound & all of it under stock shields & using stock cans & end caps.  Love it and Steve is great to work with.  17' CVO 114

I've been reading about these for the past hour or so and am pretty sure this is the route I'm going to go.

Why did you remove the TechMat?

The one thing holding me back at the moment is that it appears his header only comes in the raw steel color for the 2019 M8. I'm concerned that's going to stand out, even with the heat shields. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll take a closer look at the bike in the morning.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »

I’ve been using the fullsac “system” for years including my 2019 limited, the techmat along with the 2” baffles. The stock black chrome heat shields fit right back on, you can’t see the header.
Perfect for my long trips, no problem with excessive noise in my helmet, with Steve’s dyno tune the bike runs great.

My “loud” bike I keep for club rides locally just to piss off the members BEHIND me. And most all are BEHIND! LOL
 :P
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:56:06 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

NoTolerance

• WI

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »

I’ve been using the fullsac “system” for years including my 2019 limited, the techmat along with the 2” baffles. The stock black chrome heat shields fit right back on, you can’t see the header.
Perfect for my long trips, no problem with excessive noise in my helmet, with Steve’s dyno tune the bike runs great.

My “loud” bike I keep for club rides locally just to piss off the members BEHIND me. And most all are BEHIND! LOL
 :P

Thanks for that feedback. I decided to go with headers and the Power Cores from Fullsac. I didn't get the TTS because I already have a PowerVision. Would Steve help with a tune for the PowerVision or does he only support the TTS?

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »

I took my tech Mat out because I was looking for more tone.  ( I like things a little on the loud side)  These M8's seem to be a little quieter than previous motors however after adding Fullsac's front header I am very happy with the sound so never bothered to reinstall the tec mat.  Bike now has a nice low tone at cruise and a tradition HD sound after adding some throttle!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »

Thanks for that feedback. I decided to go with headers and the Power Cores from Fullsac. I didn't get the TTS because I already have a PowerVision. Would Steve help with a tune for the PowerVision or does he only support the TTS?

You can contact Fullsac and ask what he would recommend for you. Always a straight shooter and you will get the straight scoop from the horses mouth (so to speak).
 8)
HOGMIKE

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »

1500 degree spray paint at Autozone in black or other colors. Has lasted 2 years so far on my. Ike header.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.