Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '01 police road king fuel injected idle problem  (Read 17023 times)

tthumper85

'01 police road king fuel injected idle problem
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:53:34 AM »

Just bought '01 police road king fuel injected. After riding for a while it doesn't like to idle at stop lights. Gotta keep the throttle cracked or it dies. Service manual says injected engine idle adjustments have to be done with a syncronizing tool at the dealer. That true? or is there something else I can check before I take it in.
Screw it Lets ride

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: '01 police road king fuel injected idle problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:31:21 AM »

Just bought '01 police road king fuel injected. After riding for a while it doesn't like to idle at stop lights. Gotta keep the throttle cracked or it dies. Service manual says injected engine idle adjustments have to be done with a syncronizing tool at the dealer. That true? or is there something else I can check before I take it in.
Ive had several bikes with the MM FI system and both were plagued with irratic idle problems, Cold start sensors caused a rapid idle, and the IAT sensor when it acted up caused a low idle, there is a procedure for resetting the idle manually if you have a service manual for your particular bike it should be outlined.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »

The M&M injection was a finicky beast, and setting hot and cold idle requires a specific procedure that I can no longer remember.  You will need the manual.

Before condemning the EFI, make certain you don't have a vacuum leak at the manifold to head joints.  That was probably the single biggest cause of driveability complaints on those bikes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

relxn88

• AXTELLERATION
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »

I got these off another site and my disclaimer is I've never tried either(my bikes delphi).

This describes a method to set cold and hot idle speed on Magneti-Morelli EFI systems.

First, when it comes to setting cold idle, the service manual leads you down a path of frustration. This is a very simple and effective way of adjusting it. If you start the engine stone cold and it idles below 1200 rpm (after it stabilizes) then turn the cold idle screw (in linkage, on the side that rotates with the throttle plates) in. If it's over 1300 rpm, then turn the screw out (therefore, set cold idle speed at 1200 rpm for TC-88's)It's that easy . Also, to guarantee that the idle will be recognized by the ECM, run the bike until it's fully warmed up, turn the hot idle (in the throttle body, forward of the front intake, near the bottom) up to 1200 rpm, shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse (in the fuse holder on the ECM bracket), run a lead from the cold (relay) side of the 5 amp socket to ground. Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if practical, then put the fuse back in and warm it back up, turn it back down to 1000.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         2nd way of adjusting MM
     Adjust the hot idle to 950/1050 rpm.
1. Unplug the temp sensor.  Your bike now thinks it's cold!
2. Set the "cold idle" to 1500rpm
3. Shut the bike off.
4. Remove the 5 and 15 amp fuses from the  fuse  block which is on the side you took the cover off of.
5. Plug the cold sensor connector back in.
6. Replace the air cleaner assembly.
7. Wait at least 30 minutes, then replace the 2 fuses
When you restart your bike, the ECM should remember the new idle settings you did .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »

There are a few things to do with idle problems on Marelli bikes.  Obvious and cheapest first of course.  Check for vacuum leaks on or around the intake.  Gaskets on the various sensors, intake seals, all of it.  There was also a "wandering idle" recall on the Marelli bikes in 2000 and (I think) 2001.  When hot the idle would wander up or down.  An ECM reflash did a good job of solving that.

Assuming everything else is ok you do set the idle speed manually on a Marelli bike.  There are two mixture screws at the top of the intake.  They should be sealed closed and unavailable to you with cleaning out to access them.  Doing that sometimes makes a tremendous difference.  If you know or decide to trust that the mixture screws are set satisfactorily there are both cold and hot idle screws on the bell crank (where the cables attach).  They are only going to set a fixed idle speed though.  Or correct a fixed idle speed that isn't where you want it.  Any wandering idle condition won't be solved by just readjusting the hot or cold idle screws.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.