Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Trapper dog  (Read 45980 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Trapper dog
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »

If Roger would be up for a visitor he doesn’t know terribly well, we would happily go visit him.
Has the doctors grim prognosis improved given Roger’s apparent progress?

Layla,

You and everyone else are welcome to visit Roger. Just reach out to Melanie ahead of time and let her know when you are thinking of coming. Roger may have tests, rehab, physical therapy or examinations going on.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

AZSERK

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »

Anybody have an Update on Roger?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2020, 11:47:05 PM »

Anybody have an Update on Roger?

I am going to try and see him this weekend.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »

I visited Roger yesterday, and the good news is he is back on solid foods! They have taken the feed tube out of his stomach. His drinks are no longer thickened to prevent swallowing problems. When I think of how I first saw him post accident, and how he is now I see a miracle. He has come so far and works very hard, and it shows.

He's up early every day and does about 4 hours of physical therapy and occupational therapy. They work on standing, walking, transferring from the bed to the wheelchair, using a walker and all sorts of strength exercises. There are exercises for muscle building and hand eye coordination, which is still excellent. By the time they get him back in the bed about 2pm he is exhausted and sleeps hard till 4pm or 5pm. Then he is up and has dinner.

During my visits I work with him to challenge the weaker parts of his body, and reawaken various parts of his brain. When we "stroll" the hallways in his wheelchair I have him to use his left hand and arm to pull himself on the wall railings. Yesterday I asked him what his favorite movies were, and then tried to get him to tell me the story line. I spoke to him in Spanish and his eyes lit up. We had a good conversation in Spanish. It really impressed the Latina nurses and I asked them to speak to him in Spanish from time to time.

When dinner came I watched Roger feed himself, and I almost cried with joy. The only thing I helped him with was opening the vacuum sealed fruit cup as his left hand could not grasp the cup firmly. But his right hand  was able to lift the flap and slowly peel it back. He was able to break the food up into bite sized portions and use a spoon to eat.

And the comical Roger still comes out. I said, "Roger, finish this sentence: You can lead a horse to water,..." He sat there for a moment than said "But you can't make him pee", I busted out laughing and he smiled.       

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »

Great report! Thank you!

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2020, 02:10:41 AM »

Sounds like tremendous progress. It's been a long journey & seems that there's still a ways to go. Still praying for him & family. May the Lord, Jesus Christ continue to work in their lives.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2020, 07:51:33 AM »

Thanks for the update great to hear he is making progress.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

LAZine

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2020, 02:28:28 AM »

Thanks for the update great to hear he is making progress.

Agreed. In my heart, I feel like Roger will be riding again before long.

AZSERK

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »

Mel texted me last night saying that he is improving a little each day, but he still has much confusion.
He has a long way to go, but knowing Roger, He'll fight tooth and nail to get back.
Still sending prayers for Roger and his family, and his dog.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »

I visited Roger yesterday and brought him a slice of CostCo Pepperoni pizza. He enjoyed eating it. He even cut it up into bite sized pieces. He told me that the next time I come to bring him something chocolate. I'm thinking a slice of cheese cake!

Melanie was there and told me she finally managed to unlock Rogers iPhone. She said she often calls him on FaceTime, and texts with him. This speaks to me of excellent recovery as the act of holding the phone, opening the text app, composing a message, typing in the letters by hand, reviewing the message, and then sending it all calls for different complex brain functions. This is something we all struggle with daily on our phones and Roger is doing it!

So, if you have Roger's number, (it has not changed), please feel free to text, or FaceTime him. I suggest FaceTime instead of a call at it will literally put a face to name.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2020, 07:49:27 PM »

I visited Roger yesterday and brought him a slice of CostCo Pepperoni pizza. He enjoyed eating it. He even cut it up into bite sized pieces. He told me that the next time I come to bring him something chocolate. I'm thinking a slice of cheese cake!

Melanie was there and told me she finally managed to unlock Rogers iPhone. She said she often calls him on FaceTime, and texts with him. This speaks to me of excellent recovery as the act of holding the phone, opening the text app, composing a message, typing in the letters by hand, reviewing the message, and then sending it all calls for different complex brain functions. This is something we all struggle with daily on our phones and Roger is doing it!

So, if you have Roger's number, (it has not changed), please feel free to text, or FaceTime him. I suggest FaceTime instead of a call at it will literally put a face to name.

Thanks for the update Mark!

You are absolutely correct as this is excellent news indeed!  As to the other statement in red, Dear Lord, I am a mess at it and I did not have Roger's accident!

Great idea on the call!

Thanks again.

LAZine

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2020, 03:08:25 AM »

It has been two months with no update. How’s Roger doing? Is he home? Riding again?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2020, 05:49:23 PM »

Hey folks, here’s an update on Roger.

He’s in Bakersfield and now lives in his own apartment. They sent him down there at the end of March as this location was better for people with Traumatic Brain Injury. The down side is that he is now much further from Melanie, and with the virus lock down visiting is restricted. The up side is that he has become more self sufficient and is able to get up and dress himself. He gets 5 hours of PT/OT 6 days a week. He can now get out of bed alone and transfer himself from a wheelchair to a regular chair. Melanie was relieved that he does not spend his days either in bed or a wheelchair. The TBI has left the irascible Roger combative and confused. This is common for folks with his level of brain injury. He constantly calls or texts her although they don’t always make sense. Because of the lock down he is not permitted visitors, however once it is lifted, I plan on visiting him. If you would like his phone or mailing address, please PM me.

Mark

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »

Happy for the progress that he's made, prayers for him, his family and friends too.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »

Thanks for the update Mark, glad to see the progress.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 24 queries.