Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you identify this Skunk?  (Read 8882 times)

Soon2be1

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE "skunk"
Can you identify this Skunk?
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »

Ok so I am in Crap-man-a-stan and want to do some work to the scooter when I get back...

One of the great debates is a 21 or 23 set up... (the other is lowers with speakers or remove the engine guard for "bagger" look)

Anyone know anything about this bike? Specifically the rake/ trees? I have been looking at the Pickard trees..

Any information or opinions about this are welcome, thnask!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:02:04 PM by Soon2be1 »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Can you identify this Skunk?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »

Soon2be1 if you go with a 23" run the Pickard trees over the other offerings. There is roughly a $1200 difference in parts going with a 23" over a 21". The difference is buying a set of trees and the wheel cost. Fender, lowering kit, rotors, paint will be similar regardless of wheel size. With the 23" you give up a 1/2" of front end travel. Should you go with a 21" you will need a fender or at minimum a set of brackets to lift the fender. I believe in 2010 they changed the Road Glide fender and it no longer accepts a 21" like the earlier version did (changed to give it a slammed look). The batwing bikes still use the older fender.

Pickard trees with 1" lowering kit and 23" front wheel, Fat Katz front FL fender, rear air ride (dumped).

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »

Soon2be1 if you go with a 23" run the Pickard trees over the other offerings. There is roughly a $1200 difference in parts going with a 23" over a 21". The difference is buying a set of trees and the wheel cost. Fender, lowering kit, rotors, paint will be similar regardless of wheel size. With the 23" you give up a 1/2" of front end travel. Should you go with a 21" you will need a fender or at minimum a set of brackets to lift the fender. I believe in 2010 they changed the Road Glide fender and it no longer accepts a 21" like the earlier version did (changed to give it a slammed look). The batwing bikes still use the older fender.

Pickard trees with 1" lowering kit and 23" front wheel, Fat Katz front FL fender, rear air ride (dumped).

Beautiful ride!

bowtech40

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »

It is in the new bagger magazine if you need info.

wrayzor

• Full CVO Member
    • NV

• CVO1: 2013 Anniversary CVO RG #379
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »

Which bagger mag? I am fairly new to baggers and found out that Tthere are a ton of bagger mags out there.
2013 CVO Anniversary Road Glide #379

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »

21 vs 23"

Considersations;
1. Look/Design
2. Handling
3. Cost

Look - outstanding
Handling - not to much different on 23" from stock but it's a bit different
Cost - Wheel costs more, raked triple tree plus labor unless you do it yourself.

Regarding Speakers and Lowers -- again it's look vs function.

Lowers are nice if you run early and late in the season.
For looks, get ride of the lowers and the engine guard.

It's all a bunch of trade offs.

Here is a link to my before and after pictures on my project bike - the thread covers the total build timeline if you want to go through 300+ posts.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=60024.300

Good Luck, Simon

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »

To add to Reply 1 above by Puzzled.... Hawg Halters Inc makes a billet fender adapter in chrome or black to lift the stock front fender to accomodate a 21" or a 23" inch front wheel on the 2010 and up CVO Touring bikes, cost is ~$125.00 direct from HHI. So for anyone looking to curb the cost of swapping their front wheel set up the HHI fender solution is one possibility to consider.

Also I'd like to note the I choose to drill two additional holes into each bracket so I could have the fender hug the tire a little closer and picked up about a 1/2" of clearence by doing so between the fender and the crash bar.  Once I installed Progressive Monotubes set at -1.5" without lowering the fender a bit things were a little too close for comfort between the fender and crash bar. (400 plus miles logged since the changes and no issues.....knock on wood).

Best news is the bikes once again sets level after my mods: the 21" wheel & -1.5" monotubes up front and the Progessive 944's in the back.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.