Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: trans fluid and primary fluid  (Read 8069 times)

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
Re: trans fluid and primary fluid
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »

I used Redline in the primary for quite some time. I then changed to 15w40 Shell Rotella (non synthetic)  after seeing how well this oil held up in a industrial wet clutch system I had to try it. I am very happy with the results. Since changing over I have seen none to very little fuzz on the drain plug. With the Redline I was seeing a steady stack of fuzz every change. I also have better clutch disengagement so when I drop it in to gear I don't get that clunk just a nice click. Not saying don't use Redline they do make great products. Just letting people know my experience with Rotella in the primary.
Hummm. You got me thinking on this one.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »

I use Redline in trans and primary, Mobil 1 in engine. And contrary to what most say on here, I have a buddy who used SYN 3 in all holes and has for years, he had over 70k on last one when he traded and it was fine, I change it for him most times and what was drained looked OK every time. Never did an analysis but most of us ride less than a 100K before trading and apparently all current manufacturers products are quite up to the task of doing what needs to be done regardless of brand.
So use what makes you happy and ride on.

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl/Jet Black electra glide.
    • CVO2: 2010 Ultra Classsic Scarlet red pearl/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2017 Ultra Limited Black Garnet/ Electric Red Pearl
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »

I have been using syn3 in all holes for 85,000 miles. Still running strong.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »

I've tried for years to convince people that SYN3 is a good product, but for whatever reason many seem to think otherwise.  If a guy like me, with my oft stated feelings about the MoCo, admits that the stuff is good and probably better than more than half of the other choices on the market, I have to believe those who constantly bash it have never looked at any real data.  If folks don't want to buy it because it's pushed by H-D, or because it's made by Citgo, fine by me.  But if they don't buy it just because someone told them it's crap, they need to listen to someone who actually knows something about motor oils instead.

Jerry

Btw, the attachment is from the comparison testing AMSOIL published in 2009.  Note that SYN3 ranked fourth out of seventeen oils tested.  Not that shabby.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »

This is a timely thread as I've just finished changing both in my 2009 SERG.

For me the transmission fluid is easy.  I've used Redline shockproof, Mobil 1 75w90, Belray 85w140 and now the new Amsoil Vtwin transmission oil.  They all work well so it is just a matter of personal choice and what you have easy access to.

The primary oil is more tricky and I say that because it depends on the clutch you are using.  Your choices are also complicated by the fact that your clutch requires a coolant and your compensator requires a lubricant.  Not a big deal if you are running a stock clutch as HD formula + seems to work well, however, if you are running an after market Bandit, Rivera or Barnett the manufactures recommend ATF and ATF will not provide the lubrication needed by the compensator.  So what do you do? 

I'm running a Barnett Scorpion with lockup, SE compensator with GMR compensaver.  I was experiencing some clutch chatter starting out in first gear, otherwise clutch worked great.  Primary oil was Belray.  Decided to change to Amsoil primary oil.  Was better, but still chirped every once a awhile.  Spoke to Steve at GMR and he recommended  26 oz Dex-Merc ATF mixed with 6 oz of the Amsoil primary oil (could be any suitable wet clutch oil) for compensator.  I upped that to 32 oz ATF and 6 oz to get to the 38 oz needed.  Results?  No more chirp in first.

Clutches can also be sensitive to the amount of fluid as well.  For a bone stock primary, the volume stated in the manual is fine, however, for the after market clutches I would say those volumes are guidelines.  IMHO, you have to play with it a little for the results you desire.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.