Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Baker F6R Reverse Kit Installed  (Read 9938 times)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Baker F6R Reverse Kit Installed
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:23:51 PM »

After a good deal of investigation, I decided to have a Baker F6R reverse kit installed on my bike. Thanks to Joe (JoeVibe) for his input and help selecting which reverse kit – I definitely think the Baker kit was the way to go, and so far have been pleased with the installation. Besides adding the reverse gear, the bike is shifting smoother and as Baker points out, finding neutral is much simplified.

Baker cover on left, stock on right. The green reflection on the chrome is from landscaping next to the driveway

The kit was purchased with the rear facing solenoid so no exhaust modification was required to my Fullsac headers. After seeing the optional handlebar switch, I had this installed in lieu of the fairing mounted toggle, as noted in the image below right. The work was done by R&R Cycle in New Hampshire.

The primary reason for adding reverse in my case was to back the bike into the building where both are parked at night. There’s enough of a driveway pitch that turning on a jack or pushing backwards uphill and over the threshold wasn’t feasible without assistance. Driving out each time is great and there’s no more turning in the driveway required. Shifting into reverse is easy from 1st gear (R-1-N-2-3-4-5-6 shift pattern) - pull the clutch, engage the toggle and shift down into reverse. To exit reverse, clutch & shift back into 1st gear. Once the toggle is released reverse is locked out so there’s no danger of a gear conflict.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: Baker F6R Reverse Kit Installed
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »

Hey Kiro, very cool mod! 
I would love to have one, especially for when we have the Bushtec behind us.  I'm hoping you'll to post an updated review in a few weeks time after you've formed an opinion of not only the reverse gear, but the other 6 speeds as well!
Can you tell us how many labor hours it took to remove and replace the tranny?
The bonus is, it's a nice look for the bike also!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:48 PM »

And it makes that part of your motor area MORE SHINY :drink:

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »

very cool mod!

The first time I backed into my 'condo' where I keep the bikes I knew this was money well spent Harry... I'll post an update after a get more miles on the scoot, but I suspect if there was going to be an installation issue I would have had it already - been about 300 miles since the tranny was pulled. The shop is 100 miles from home and I didn't spare the fuel on the maiden voyage back - it was terrific. Everything related to shifting has smoothed out and it's not nearly as clunky. The shop got rid of all the Syn3, used Red Line in the tranny, and Lucas products in the primary and engine. Not sure if this resulted in less noise or not, but there is a difference. Baker indicates the install is around 7 to 9 hours. The shop, a Baker distributor, estimated 12 hours but the bike ended up there from a Monday morning drop off to a Thursday morning pick up as they had a lot going on and I needed to arrange a ride back. Baker indicates people with average mechanical  skills could do this, but it looked quite involved to me. You need some specialized tools besides having to remove and press gears onto the countershaft. Baker has the installation instructions posted on their website if you wish to review the process. Joe indicated this was the best mod he ever did on his bike - I can certainly understand this to be the case.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »

This is something that would be nice. I have to always be careful of where I park to make sure I can get back out. I can't wait to hear how great this is after a few more miles.!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »

Joe indicated this was the best mod he ever did on his bike - I can certainly understand this to be the case.

Going forward fast is awesome but going backward under power is just plain cool!! My friends have learned not to follow me into parking spots. A lot of times, I purposely park with the front end down hill, just because I can. ::)

The Baker F6R kit rocks!!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 06:50:19 PM »

I would love to have one, especially for when we have the Bushtec behind us.
I haven't had much luck trying to back the Bushtec; it jack-knifes pretty quickly and won't straighten out.  Maybe other trailer owners can relate their experiences.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »

From my recent research into the reverse gear upgrade for my Street Glide you have made the best call, the Baker kit is the best but also the most expensive.
I guess You get what you pay for.
I have just ordered my kit, cant wait to see the faces of my mates when i hook reverse and back up  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:07 AM »

Looks like we came to the same conclusion on the F6R skycat. Not an inexpensive modification, but you'll find it has benefits beyond just the reverse gear once you start using it. Let us know how you make out once yours goes in.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »

Now Joe that is just plain mean parking like that.  I would do the same if I could!  I can tell you that Kiro's bike purrs like a Kitten, I had the pleasure of driving it for awhile going to Laconia during Bike week.  I have reverse also but only when my wife is with me,  sometimes I have to get off and help her out.  Kiro won't admit it but many people were stopping to admire his bike when we parked at the Vendors area. 

We even had an attractive rather large breasted woman at the Mustang Seat Co. booth feel the need to impress her investments deep into our chest for photo purposes.  She was awful proud of her chest and she wanted us to have that feeling as well.  I just hated it!  I think there might be a photo of that event.   

Nice mod

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »

I have reverse also but only when my wife is with me
LOL - a good woman indeed, but I'd venture a guess the F6R is cheaper in the long run...

I think there might be a photo of that event.
Like the one below? You just never know when you run with someone who always has a camera along.

RayG at Mustang Seats

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »

:-\
I've always felt like Harley should have made a (reverse) standard equipment on the Ultras,  especially an expensive SE CVO.

Could ya "ballpark" the trans cost and associated labor/install costs,  I got rid of my SE Ultra and into a Street Glide Special largely because of the 150 pounds of LESS WEIGHT.  Still could use a reverse with the SGS too,  but need to understand how costly that might be..........my wife helps push it out of the garage backwards,  but is not always there when "reverse" would be needed. :drink:

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

Who's that scruffy old guy?  That can't be me,  heck I don't even have gray hair.  You better check your camera.  I think there was another photo, but you have the Royalties.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 12:39:48 PM »

Could ya "ballpark" the trans cost and associated labor/install costs

Sure can moscooter, but no need to ballpark... I agree that the MoCo should provide reverse for what our CVO's cost. The F6R kit was $2k through the shop. You can save $100 if you stay with the fairing mounted momentary toggle, but the handlebar switch looked good and was of excellent quality - once I did an eyes on the part knew this was what I wanted. I was provided a labor estimate of 12 hours plus new fluids & miscellaneous parts, so that end of it was $1,500. I was concerned on the labor cost as the length of time they kept my bike was extended. Not certain how many hours they actually took, but they stayed with the estimate, so it was $3,500 in total actual cost. I'd talked with them about this last year when I was still on the west coast, but never got the bike to them before winter - the estimate was higher this year but it was exactly what I was told so there was no surprises. If Baker offered their seven speed transmission with reverse I would have had that installed, but it was one or the other. I may or may not ever need reverse on the road, but I don't view this a frivolous expense for safety and peace of mind, and it's already provided benefits. Plus I plan on keeping my Ultra Classic until I can no longer ride...

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »

Trust me, it's worth every penny!! I use it every time I ride and smile every time I use it. Never have to worry about how or where I park, and the looks on the faces of the other riders when you back it up hill is priceless!!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »

You better check your camera.  I think there was another photo, but you have the Royalties.

Guess I view things differently as a photographer Ray... All I saw was two people in the prime of their lives - LOL. There's a reason why I stay behind the lens...

and the looks on the faces of the other riders when you back it up hill is priceless!

Got my first example of this yesterday Joe... I rode into work and parked in a motorcycle only section across from my office on a busy throughway. When I came out there was a group of five or six road workers next to my bike with a truck parked blocking me from turning. I could see them watching to see what I would do. Looking around like I was trapped and worried, I got on the scoot, put it in reverse, pulled out the length of the bike when the traffic allowed, then took off down the road. I heard one guy saying, 'did you see that' to his co-worker as I pulled away... It was great!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »

Reverse is sounding real cool. I have only used my "better half" once to help me out. Usually she gets off (careful here) and I can push it around to get her where I need to be! (boy this is sounds real bad!. I learned that even a small slope is a killer and I hate having to get off the bike to push it. When I first got my Ultra years ago I didn't think the extra weight would make such a difference. I parked in a spot that had me pointing down hill. I couldn't even push it back. So I had to go forward a little and then back up a little (repeat about 20 times) to the get the front of the bike pointing out so I can pull out. What a time! 

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »

Geese 20 times isn't that bragging just a little bit,  seriously this thread off topic real quick.  Good thing we have some good natured members on this forum.  Since I have the Road King I don't lug around as much weight as you guys do with your bigger bikes.  The Road King was perfect for me 8 years ago now I want the Ultra but I don't have the finances to get to that point.  But if I do I will seriously consider getting a bike that has reverse or have one installed.  Would be nice to have music and some wind protection now that I'm an old buck.  Photos don't lie.   

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »

Guess I view things differently as a photographer Ray... All I saw was two people in the prime of their lives - LOL. There's a reason why I stay behind the lens...

Got my first example of this yesterday Joe... I rode into work and parked in a motorcycle only section across from my office on a busy throughway. When I came out there was a group of five or six road workers next to my bike with a truck parked blocking me from turning. I could see them watching to see what I would do. Looking around like I was trapped and worried, I got on the scoot, put it in reverse, pulled out the length of the bike when the traffic allowed, then took off down the road. I heard one guy saying, 'did you see that' to his co-worker as I pulled away... It was great!

:cherry: Thanks for the input on the total cost of the deal.  In the past,  I've ridden to some bike rally events where you park,  maybe kinda downhill but no problem as you can go out forward..........only to come back ready to leave and some other bikers have shown up and (blocked) your forward exit out.

This kind of deal is where the (reverse gear) makes it all cool.............otherwise,  you gotta grab some yahoos close by to give you some assist to get out backwards with a push. :nixweiss: 

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »

There is an alternative that is cheaper than the Baker.  Champion Trike Co. makes a reverse that you add to the HD Cruise-Drive 6 speed.  It's a mechanical gear set, costs about $1500, and requires about 4 to 6 hours to install.  Total cost about $2000.  Easy to use: Trans in neutral, clutch in, move lever to R position, ease clutch out to move backward. Clutch in, move lever to normal (Fwd) position, shift to 1st, go.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »

There is an alternative that is cheaper than the Baker.  Champion Trike Co. makes a reverse that you add to the HD Cruise-Drive 6 speed.  It's a mechanical gear set, costs about $1500, and requires about 4 to 6 hours to install.  Total cost about $2000.  Easy to use: Trans in neutral, clutch in, move lever to R position, ease clutch out to move backward. Clutch in, move lever to normal (Fwd) position, shift to 1st, go.

That's very true, in fact LoveMyCVOGirl has a Champion kit on her SG and last I talked with her she's still very happy with it. It works a little differently than the Baker but it still gets you going backward.

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:22 PM »

Price for my bike 2015 Street Glide, Chrome kit part number F6RV-HCR-2013 = $1950 and for the chrome housing for the toggle switch = $180 I will do the install so no labour cost.
1 am 70KG and 161cm lol i need reverse big time  :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:24:25 PM by skycat »
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 04:38:39 AM »

It doesn't fit on the DD7 I checked :-(
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »

It doesn't fit on the DD7 I checked

That's true. As mentioned in an earlier post, it's either the DD7 or reverse, can't have both. Baker indicated they are working on incorporating these together, but that could be a long time away.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.