Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tranny Experts - Advice on CVO Fatboy 6-speed Conversion  (Read 4707 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Tranny Experts - Advice on CVO Fatboy 6-speed Conversion
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »

Any Tranny Experts or Personal Experience Folks .... Need some advice!!

Wife has a 2006 CVO Fatboy and I'm setting it up for distance. I installed factory cruise (awesome) and did bars, bags, KW shield (bad-ass), Corbin seat - have everything perfect for her accept a 6-speed. Been going over and over it on the best solution for the long-haul (pun fully intended- ;) ).

From what I have researched, there are two ways to go - each with it's own pro's and cons.

1. Do a Screamin' Eagle 6-speed, by way of either a gearset or full tranny:
 This is an expensive route but not out of the question. I've looked at the Baker gearset and the price is about the same, but the Baker requires a speedo calibration unit. The SE components do not. This path allows for a true overdrive at .89:1 ratio and would probably be safe for the stock Comp Pulley. However, I've heard mixed reviews about the strength and reliability of the SE gears.

2. Do a pull-off or used Cruise Drive from a 2007+ Softail:
 This is definitely a more economic approach, and really the reason for this post. Moving to a Cruise Drive would - I believe - move the final drive to a 1:1 ratio, and require a new Comp Pulley because of the increase torque involved. I'm ok with doing a new Comp Pulley, but I'm not sure if the 2007+ design is a direct fit for the 2006 drive train. Used gearsets can be found with less than 10K for around $250 to $500 depending on how close you follow the market. This makes the additional cost of a new comp ultimately cheaper than doing Option 1.

Need a lot of feedback to make the right choice. I want to be able to cruise at 80 or so and the 5 speed is just working too hard. She is a helluva woman and would do it smiling, but I know how worn out that can make you after 10hrs or so in the saddle.

Please let me know what you guys think ... Feel free to tell me I am hell and GONE from thinking the options through if I am!! Would like to get it completed over the winter months (quasi-winter here in Texas :) ) so we can come out strong next spring.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Rich
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:26:31 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Tranny Experts - Advice on CVO Fatboy 6-speed Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »

While I can't answer any of your questions, I do have one that might affect your decision (assuming the Cruise-Drive will fit an '06 FB:

What is the ratio of the stock 5th gear?  When compared to the 1:1 of the Cruise-Drive 6th gear, is that enough difference, by itself, to make the change worthwhile--or would you also need to change either the primary gearing or the transmission output pulley to get enough benefit?

Then, if you do have to change the primary or output gearing, will that make 1st gear too high for good take-off?

Hopefully some of the gurus will weigh in on the other aspects.  Good luck.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »

I have a Rivera Primo 6 speed Over Drive with over 70k miles on it and not a single problem. Shifts smooth and is quiet. My mechanic says it's stronger than the S.E. or Baker. They are half the price of the others . No shortage of quality.

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :nixweiss:
My favorite color is chrome

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »

^^

Funny ... Got anything USEFUL?
And it looks a little more like this:

TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »

And this:

TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »

I have a Rivera Primo 6 speed Over Drive with over 70k miles on it and not a single problem. Shifts smooth and is quiet. My mechanic says it's stronger than the S.E. or Baker. They are half the price of the others . No shortage of quality.

I hadn't looked at Rivera but will now
Thanks for the info. Does it need a speedo interface?

Did the install require different exhaust bracket?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:02:01 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 08:29:30 AM »

What is the ratio of the stock 5th gear?  When compared to the 1:1 of the Cruise-Drive 6th gear, is that enough difference, by itself, to make the change worthwhile--or would you also need to change either the primary gearing or the transmission output pulley to get enough benefit?

Good point.
From what I have been able to find out, the Cruise Drive 6-speed is the same across the board so it would mirror the ratios of my '11 Streetglide. Not positive of this fact but relatively sure. We've done some tach comparisons and it appears as though it drops the rpm's by approx. 400 in top gear between the Fatboy 5th and my 6th. I run a hair under 3K at true 80 (GPS) and she is about 3400.

AFAIK, the main shaft pulley on the FB is the same as the SG, but that is a good catch and something I need to verify.

:)
TIF2

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »

The Cruise drive tranny in 06 Dyna and 07 up everything else will not fit an 06 Fatboy. The crankshaft ends, compensator, clutch, gearing  and sprockets are all different and will not interchange into your 5 speed.
The compensator in the bike is the original version and completely trouble free. Absolutely no reason to change anything in the primary on a stock engine.
You need a 6 speed like the SE, Primo, Baker etc that designed to go onto the 5 speed case. No reason to change the case either, it takes a minor mod to allow the 6 speed tranny to fit.
Some would require a speedo recalibrator, I use a Thunderheart unit, the adjustable units is around $140, makes resetting as easy as pushing a button.
I'd use the SE or Baker  drop in gear sets, either would suit just fine.  twinotter

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »

I'm looking into Rivera Primo.
Seems to have good reviews and is 1/2 the cost of Baker or SE.
TIF2

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »

You may also consider the rev - tech 6 speed.   Many of my buddies have them and they are holding up great and give i think they said a 50k warranty on them and very reasonable in price.   7 of them in 124's, 1 in a 95, and I believe Sachs has one in his 103 WT build.

Another buddy swears by the baker 7 speed.    Personally I have the SE 6 speed in our three of them in our 02-06 bikes.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »

I had heard not so good things about Revtech but I will check them out based on your experience.
TIF2

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:05:49 AM »

The Cruisedrive 6sp will not fit/work in the 5sp bikes, neither will the DD7

'Have the SE 6sp gearset in the '01 Switchblade (hot rod 103), the first 5 ratios are the same as the 5 speeds, 6th is a true overdrive, absolutely the quietest, slickest shifting Harley transmission I have ever ridden, shifts like a jap bike...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.