Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Reverse Options  (Read 6109 times)

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
Re: Reverse Options
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »

Yep, your airline probably was kinked a little. You can also just cut the buzzers out and splice the little wires if you want, personally, they drove me nuts and the button has a light in it so you know if it’s engaged in the dark. I take my time and think thru the process so I don’t make a mistake and dump the clutch or not push the button.  Anyway, it’ll work itself in a bit and get smoother.

Yes that DANG NAB alarm is a PITA and is going away. I don't like the push connectors they use so I changed things up a little to make it easier to disconnect the air line by adding a second push connector. I may just change the one at the axle with one of the 90* fittings I have. I have an air system on my Jeep that uses the same size air line so I have a lot of parts.

Just some pictures of the compressor and how I packed my gear in around it. It worked out well and the only thing I had to move over to the other saddlebag was my 1 gallon gas can and my tool roll.

I was able to back up my driveway and back into my garage which is not something I could do even before my amputation. So I am more than happy with this kit I just need to figure out what the intermittent issue with it not going into reverse is. I haven't driven it very far yet but tomorrow I am heading to Yakima which is an hour away so maybe that will loosen things up a little. Getting into my garage is always a pain because that is a lip between the gravel and the garage floor. It took me a few tries to get the back tire up and into the garage. But having this powered reverse is great.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 12:29:19 AM »

Have been watching your thread with interest.  Thanks for taking the time to show the pics and share the install.  Interesting system and glad to know more about it.  Sounds like even know it's a real benefit and once the new-install kinks are out and you know it will be regularly reliable it'll be a winner for you.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 03:01:49 AM »

Have been watching your thread with interest.  Thanks for taking the time to show the pics and share the install.  Interesting system and glad to know more about it.  Sounds like even know it's a real benefit and once the new-install kinks are out and you know it will be regularly reliable it'll be a winner for you.

Thanks, I'm sort of a picture whore when it comes to working on stuff. And I like to share what I do and how I do it. I was really happy with how well it works as far as giving me the power to back up. And yes once I get the kinks worked out I really think this will be a great system.

Since we all have CVO's on here a WORD OF CAUTION: Before you try to drill into your saddlebag make sure that you take the liner out and move the wiring for the power locks. The area where they suggest that you drill the hole is right where the wires run.
Don't ask me how I know...…….   :oops:::) ::)  :oops:    Yes I drilled thru my wires because I didn't check. I was able to soldier the wires back together and then run heat shrink tube over them. The locks do work after my repairs and all is good.  :cucumber: 
Once I get the kinks worked out I will make sure to post bad with my thoughts.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »

I talked with ST this morning about the issue with it not going into reverse each time and they had to suggestions to try. First was to try rocking the bike when I go into reverse to see if the shuttle gear would slide over. The other was to see what the air pressure was being put out by the compressor.

So I went out and hopped on the bike and tried the rocking trick which helped 80% of the time and then for those times it still wasn't going into reverse if I popped the clutch a little it would go into reverse the rest of the time. So we think the problem is figured out. Due to the tight tolerances they make the parts this can happen some of the time.

So I called Mike at ST back and told him what I had found and he said I didn't need to check the PSI of the compressor now since this was the issue. As I use it the gear will wear in and this shouldn't happen as often. I'm good with that and can't wait to get out and try out my new toy more.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »

Thanks, I'm sort of a picture whore when it comes to working on stuff.

I get it.  It's not as if when the site when younger and the mods we did/tried were, perhaps, slightly more common or even novel that I'd ever have taken the time to document a few odd changes.  Wouldn't apply here even as an option since my bikes are pretty much stock anyway....

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 11:03:00 PM »

I get it.  It's not as if when the site when younger and the mods we did/tried were, perhaps, slightly more common or even novel that I'd ever have taken the time to document a few odd changes.  Wouldn't apply here even as an option since my bikes are pretty much stock anyway....

I had over 800 pictures of all the mods I had done on my old Road Glide Ultra. I have a hard time leaving anything stock.

The other thing is that I don't mind sharing my mistakes and blunders with others. I might get a little ribbing or catch some grief but if it helps someone else from not doing the same then it helped someone.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:57:45 PM by WildmanUltra »

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »

Well it was good while it lasted...………   :oops:  >:( :( 

While I was out in South Dakota I had used the reverse 3-4 times and it was working great. Then I went to use it on the 3rd day at the rally and it wouldn't work any more. Talked with ST and I need to tare the bike down and send it back to them. So now my bike will be down for a week + while they figure out what happened and then ship the repaired parts back to me.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »

Just an update,

So I shipped the reverse pulley back the Yelvington and once they get it back and figure out what happened they will let me know. One of the nicer things about using the Yelvington kit is that you can just slap your stock rear pulley back on and ride the bike. So it won't cause me to have any down time other than the time it takes to swap parts out.

When I was pulling the reverse off I found out that I had picked up a little gift on my trip that I didn't know about.

When I bought the bike in June it had 4,640 miles on it.

Thank goodness for Tire & Wheel coverage. Cost me $54 to get a new tire and have it installed and balanced.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 06:14:27 PM »

Update: The reverse was delivered to Yelvington today so I should hear from them on Tuesday as to what happened and why the reverse stopped working. I would guess if everything goes as it should I will have it back around 9 Sept.So I put the bike back together today with the stock rear pulley and am taking it in the HD for the 117" engine kit and the 10k service on Wednesday Sept 4 and should have it back on Saturday Sept 7.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »

Harley should offer reverse as an option or standard on high level touring bikes. Most competitors offer reverse. BMW, Honda, Yamaha. All offer reverse.

Considering the price of a CVO, should be standard!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 12:21:27 PM »

Update: I just got off the phone with Noah from Suspension Technologies and was given an explanation of why my reverse stopped working. I'll say this RIGHT NOW, they have gone above anything I expected and have given me great support since I bought their product.There was an issue with the assembly of the unit I was given and that is what caused it to stop working. The fact that they told me this and are stepping up says a lot about the company to me. I'm glad to know what happened and the fact that it wasn't an installation or operation error.Because it was a assembly error ST is sending me a pair of their shocks as compensation for the issue. I didn't ask for this or even hint that I expected anything from them. To me they didn't have to do any of this and with the way many companies are now days I am totally SHOCKED by this gesture.

I had planned on getting Ohlins shocks sometime in the near future so I am excited to try out their shocks and see what I think of them. If I am happy with the way my bikes handling is improved with their shocks then I just may by their fork cartridges also.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »

Update: I just got off the phone with Noah from Suspension Technologies and was given an explanation of why my reverse stopped working. I'll say this RIGHT NOW, they have gone above anything I expected and have given me great support since I bought their product.There was an issue with the assembly of the unit I was given and that is what caused it to stop working. The fact that they told me this and are stepping up says a lot about the company to me. I'm glad to know what happened and the fact that it wasn't an installation or operation error.Because it was a assembly error ST is sending me a pair of their shocks as compensation for the issue. I didn't ask for this or even hint that I expected anything from them. To me they didn't have to do any of this and with the way many companies are now days I am totally SHOCKED by this gesture.

I had planned on getting Ohlins shocks sometime in the near future so I am excited to try out their shocks and see what I think of them. If I am happy with the way my bikes handling is improved with their shocks then I just may by their fork cartridges also.

Nice. Way to step up to the plate ST. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 11:10:19 PM »

Well of course UPS screwed things up as they seem to do a lot in my area anymore. The box with the parts got to Redmond, WA on Monday at 7:10 AM so if they had sent it to Ellensburg on Monday I could have/would have had the parts Tuesday afternoon. Since I am on the end of the UPS delivery route I don't get my stuff until 6 PM or later.

So I got my part Wednesday and unboxed the parts with the plan to install everything today. Then I woke up this morning sick and puking my guts out. So I didn't get anything done to it today. Hoping I wake up tomorrow feeling better so I can get the bike done.

And the new shocks

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »

I'm interested in a ride report on the new shocks, let us know!

Good luck with the replacement reversing sprocket.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »

I'm interested in a ride report on the new shocks, let us know!

Good luck with the replacement reversing sprocket.

Once I get some miles on it I'll let you know what I think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.