Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: What's Up With This Hydraulic Primary Chain Tensioner From Oregon Hot Bike?  (Read 23335 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

Check this out! Anyone ever see this or use it before? It seems like a great idea. If the hydraulic cam chain tensioners work wonders, wouldn't these do the same for the primary chain? I'm liking the idea and am thinking of trying it. Anyone have any experience with it?

From the CCI Catalog, P. 12.24, P/N 60119 http://download.customchrome.com/2007pdfs/12_cc07.pdf
H-B 125 Hydraulic Automatic Primary Chain
Tensioner by Oregon Hot Bike
Designed to withstand the punishment that 100+ cubic inch engines
deliver to the primary drive. Unlike the standard chain tensioner that
works off of a spring pressure, this unit operates off of primary fluid
and works similar to the hydraulic lifter in an engine. It is completely
self-contained. Once installed, there is no need to adjust the primary
chain again.
• Reduces vibration
• Reduces chain wear
• Reduces chain rebound
• Designed for high-horsepower engines
• Smoother shifting
• Prevents chain from scoring inner parts of primary (a main cause of
primary fluid contamination)

60119 Fits Big Twins with wet primary

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: What's Up With This Hydraulic Primary Chain Tensioner From Oregon Hot Bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »

Howie;
i have installed several of these, they have been araound for quite a while. They are in my opinion the best one out there. Not sure if they will work in the 07 an up primary's as they have a different setup (hydro) than previous years.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »

Howie;
i have installed several of these, they have been araound for quite a while. They are in my opinion the best one out there. Not sure if they will work in the 07 an up primary's as they have a different setup (hydro) than previous years.

Thanks Jim. I'm going to call them tomorrow. It says all big twins, but they're not very specific. I'm going to use it on my '85 FXWG with the new RevTech 110" Evo w/6-speed trans, but would like to use it on my SERK too.

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:10:44 PM »

Have used them on several bikes before also Howie.  Never an issue.  Just a really good part.

Only reason it's not in the current bike is that it wasn't supposed to fit along side the GP Designs bearing support.  Since that seemed the more important of the two I used the Harley tensioner instead as the bearing support is designed to accept it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:12:50 PM »

2 Goods, no Bads! I hope it works on my '07! ;)

Hoist! 8)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:21:16 PM »

Have used them on several bikes before also Howie.  Never an issue.  Just a really good part.

Only reason it's not in the current bike is that it wasn't supposed to fit along side the GP Designs bearing support.  Since that seemed the more important of the two I used the Harley tensioner instead as the bearing support is designed to accept it.

Don:
it does work with the GP brace. You just need to grind a bit off the upper left corner for clearance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »

2 Goods, no Bads! I hope it works on my '07! ;)

Hoist! 8)

You're likely hosed.  Just checked J&P's online catalog.  Fitment description there is:

"For 1965-2006 Big Twin with wet primary (except 2006 Dyna®)."

Specifically excluding the 06 Dyna should catch the 07s as well.

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:50:23 PM »

I live about 5 miles from Hot Bikes shop. I've known Roger for many years and he has a good reputation. I mean we're not riding buds or anything, but I've been to his shop a number of times in Central Point. Many and I mean many around here in the southern Oregon area has his tensioner. I've never heard anything bad about the product. It just works and works well. Just my .02 worth from a local.
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »

The Hayden M6 Hydraulic Tensioner has been around for a while.  Very similar description.

Hydraulic Automatic Chain Tensioner 1965-2005 

This automatic chain tensioner uses the oil in the primary as its own reservoir. It has its own pump and operates like a hydraulic lifter in the engine. Once you install it, there is no need to adjust the primary chain again. It will hold up to engines over 100hp. It maintains a constant zero lash between acceleration and deceleration. No more chain slap inside expensive primary cases or excessive vibration. USA Made. Sold each.

www.haydensm6.com

Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:49:47 AM »

The Hayden M6 Hydraulic Tensioner has been around for a while.  Very similar description.

Hydraulic Automatic Chain Tensioner 1965-2005 

This automatic chain tensioner uses the oil in the primary as its own reservoir. It has its own pump and operates like a hydraulic lifter in the engine. Once you install it, there is no need to adjust the primary chain again. It will hold up to engines over 100hp. It maintains a constant zero lash between acceleration and deceleration. No more chain slap inside expensive primary cases or excessive vibration. USA Made. Sold each.

www.haydensm6.com

Actually, the Hayden M6 tensioner is spring loaded, not hydraulically actuated.  Tom Hayden was the first to come out with an automatic tensioner. The HB-125 hydraulic tensioner is a more recent take-off on the Hayden unit, and now you also have the H-D version which is spring loaded.  The '07 and later bikes (plus '06 Dyna's) have the H-D version as standard equipment.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to remove the stock unit and install the M6 or HB-125; is there something going on with the H-D parts?  And as 2lane noted, I don't think the M6 or HB-125 will fit the new style primary anyway.  It would surprise me to see either manufacturer spend the money to come out with another part number to fit bikes that already have an automatic tensioner.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »

Thanks for all the info. I haven't had any problems so far with the stock HD tensioners, although I hear it keeps the chain too tight. I don't know this first hand though.

I will try it on my 110" RevTech w/new 6-speed on my FXWG overhaul.

It seems that you can more precisely control chain tension hydraulicly than you can with springs, ala the new cam chain tensioners.

Ugly John, would you mind checking with them out there about plans for the '07's? Thanks.

Hoist! 8)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »

It seems that you can more precisely control chain tension hydraulicly than you can with springs, ala the new cam chain tensioners.

Hoist! 8)
Speaking of which, Can you use the new cam chain tensioners in a 103 motor to replace old tensioners?  :-\  Just wondering.  har! spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 09:26:14 AM »

Actually, the Hayden M6 tensioner is spring loaded, not hydraulically actuated.  Tom Hayden was the first to come out with an automatic tensioner. The HB-125 hydraulic tensioner is a more recent take-off on the Hayden unit, and now you also have the H-D version which is spring loaded.  The '07 and later bikes (plus '06 Dyna's) have the H-D version as standard equipment.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to remove the stock unit and install the M6 or HB-125; is there something going on with the H-D parts?  And as 2lane noted, I don't think the M6 or HB-125 will fit the new style primary anyway.  It would surprise me to see either manufacturer spend the money to come out with another part number to fit bikes that already have an automatic tensioner.  :nixweiss:

Jerry

The description says that it (Hayden M6) is hydraulic.  Is that not true?  How could the manufacturer say it is hydraulic and uses primary oil to make it function as a hydraulic lifter?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »

Speaking of which, Can you use the new cam chain tensioners in a 103 motor to replace old tensioners?  :-\  Just wondering.  har! spyder
Go with gear drives no doubt about them, the new tensioners that H-D has come out w/haven't stood the test of time yet. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »

Go with gear drives no doubt about them, the new tensioners that H-D has come out w/haven't stood the test of time yet. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Obviously there seems to be some confusion about what chains we are talking about here.  Cam drive chains, or primary drive chains.  Personally I think the MoCo wouldn't change from the old style trouble prone spring loaded cam gear tensioners to the new style hydraulic tensioners without reason.  This type of system has been used for many years in automobiles without problems.  As far as primary tensioners, I have used the spring loaded Hayden M6 for a few years in my "01 Heritage Softail Classic with zero problems.  The mechanic who helped me install it has been a machinist and HD mechanic for over 30 years.  He's installed dozens of these things in both his bikes and customers bikes.  He says he's never experienced a failure.  (I normally do most of my own mechanic work, but I wanted someone who has previous experience with these to make sure the initial tension was correct.  He said some people adjust them too tight or too lose.)  If there haven't been problems, why search for a fix to something that works?

Shortly after I bought my '06 USE I had the local HD shop install the Harley automatic primary chain tensioner.  -Worked like a charm.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.