Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Amount of oil for Primary on an 09 - 96"Ultra  (Read 20322 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Re: Amount of oil for Primary on an 09 - 96"Ultra
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »

I have used Formula Plus since I got rid of the Syn 3. Works very good in the Primary and Tranny.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »

I drained my primary on the side stand and it was also leaning quite a bit because of the slope of the driveway. 46 ounces came out, So I put it on the bike jack on a level surface and put 46 ounces back in. CAHDBIKER
something is odd with this, never seen any primary take 46 oz. my SERG manual says 38oz, 96's say 32oz.
too much is not good.
rule of thumb is fill enough to cover the bottom of the clutch basket
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »

something is odd with this, never seen any primary take 46 oz. my SERG manual says 38oz, 96's say 32oz.
too much is not good.
rule of thumb is fill enough to cover the bottom of the clutch basket
That is what I thought also, but since my bike was leaning quite a bit on the side stand  I figured I would replace what came out since the last time it was changed was at the Harley Dealer. When I put in the 46 ounces the bike was level in both directions and upright. When I was filling it I kept checking to see how far up the fluid level was and  when I was done it was just covering the bottom of the clutch basket. I think maybe that since it was leaning so much when I drained it that all of it came out instead of just the normal 38 ounces. I haven't ridden it yet, but if it works good I am not going to worry about it. Maybe leaning the bike like I did is a way of getting all of the fluid out instead of doing the service in an upright position and getting only about 38 ounces out. Thanks for your input. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »

I use a qt in the primary (Redline), a qt in the trans (Redline), and 4 qts in the motor-I have a Plus 1 oil pan (good ole dinosaur oil)! Nice round numbers and ya never have to remember how much you need! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 12:41:26 AM »

I thought you could fill to the bottom of the inspection cover just so it is ready to run over the edge of it when level??  I really didn't want to  have to find something to measure the additional few ounces precisely?  Any thoughts here?
Thanks

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 07:39:20 AM »

No. rule of thumb is fill till it covers the bottom of the clutch basket, you'll need a flash light to do this. If you drained the fluid well, on the jiffy stand. put 38 oz in. close it up and ride
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 11:54:12 AM »

Thanks....am picking up a wallyworld small measuring cup for the shop today for the extra oil.  Switching to all Redline products.  Will see how I like them.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »

I use a QT and call it a day. You really think there's any difference between 32OZ and 38OZ. Not one that your clutch and chain will notice! ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »

I use 32 oz. like Hoist said and call it a day, it's been working fine.

Marty

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »

I use a QT and call it a day. You really think there's any difference between 32OZ and 38OZ. Not one that your clutch and chain will notice! ;)

38 oz
- 32 oz
   6 oz

However, if you drained it on the jiffy stand or are starting with a dry primary, it becomes:

45 oz
- 32 oz
  13 oz

Now you're nearly a pint low.  And yes, at that point it does make a difference.

What's so tough about filling until the oil just touches the bottom of the clutch spring?  Now that there isn't an inspection cover anymore, you have to pull the clutch (derby) cover anyway to fill the primary, and the clutch spring is sitting right there.  Sit the bike up level, fill until the oil just touches the bottom edge of the spring, and button it all back up.  Then it will be right no matter if you managed to drain all the old oil, half the old oil, or some other variation.  Before you start the oil change, just make sure you have at least 1.5 quarts of fluid on hand instead of the 1.0 quart of the older models.

I can't believe it takes two pages to tell someone how to fill the primary.  As another member is fond of saying, "it ain't rocket science". ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »

32 oz. does fill the bottom edge of the spring !!! or at least it does on my bike :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »

32 oz. does fill the bottom edge of the spring !!! or at least it does on my bike :nixweiss:

I don't disagree, if you only drain out 32 ounces then one quart will fill it.  However, H-D's own specs call for 45 ounces dry, 38 ounces for a normal change.  All I'm saying is that telling everyone that they can just use a quart without actually checking the level is not a good idea.  If they happen to be one of those who can get most of the oil to actually drain, one quart is not going to fill it to the proper level.  IMHO, it is much better to just tell them to fill it to the bottom edge of the spring with the bike level.  Then no matter how much or how little they drained out, when they get done the level will be correct.  To me it's no different than telling folks to add 3.0 quarts of oil for an engine oil change, run the engine to fill the system, then use the dipstick to measure and adjust the final oil level.  Sure, you could just dump in 4 quarts and call it a day, but if that turns out to be .5 quarts too much you'll just wind up with it blown out on your leg and the side of the bike.

Yes, I realize I'm being anal and probably a little ridiculous, but I'm trying to make a point that when someone asks for the spec for the amount of oil to use, it would be best to stick to what the manual actually says and then perhaps mention that due to variations in the amount that drains, they should verify the correct level before buttoning everything up.  If I wanted "close enough for government work", I'd keep my hands clean and just have the dealer change the fluids.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »

I don't disagree, if you only drain out 32 ounces then one quart will fill it.  However, H-D's own specs call for 45 ounces dry, 38 ounces for a normal change.  All I'm saying is that telling everyone that they can just use a quart without actually checking the level is not a good idea.  If they happen to be one of those who can get most of the oil to actually drain, one quart is not going to fill it to the proper level.  IMHO, it is much better to just tell them to fill it to the bottom edge of the spring with the bike level.  Then no matter how much or how little they drained out, when they get done the level will be correct.  To me it's no different than telling folks to add 3.0 quarts of oil for an engine oil change, run the engine to fill the system, then use the dipstick to measure and adjust the final oil level.  Sure, you could just dump in 4 quarts and call it a day, but if that turns out to be .5 quarts too much you'll just wind up with it blown out on your leg and the side of the bike.

Yes, I realize I'm being anal and probably a little ridiculous, but I'm trying to make a point that when someone asks for the spec for the amount of oil to use, it would be best to stick to what the manual actually says and then perhaps mention that due to variations in the amount that drains, they should verify the correct level before buttoning everything up.  If I wanted "close enough for government work", I'd keep my hands clean and just have the dealer change the fluids.

Jerry

Yep, you're by the book Jerry. But I told folks what I do. And I drain it when fully vertical and put 1 QT in. Been doing that for YEARS with no issues over oil or primary oil temps at all. Just sayin! You are correct, it ain't rocket science! ;)

And I drain the engine oil and put 4 QTs in (I have a 5-Qt pan) and don't check that either!

Hoist!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:28:35 PM by Hoist! »

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

Thanks for all the opinions....but a bit confused when the manual says put it on the jiffy stand , drain it and add back 38 oz.    Where is the 45 oz. coming from???  I didn't pull the primary cover (probably should have to put Redline in after using Syn 3??).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.