Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Amount of oil for Primary on an 09 - 96"Ultra  (Read 20328 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Amount of oil for Primary on an 09 - 96"Ultra
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »

Thanks for all the opinions....but a bit confused when the manual says put it on the jiffy stand , drain it and add back 38 oz.    Where is the 45 oz. coming from???  I didn't pull the primary cover (probably should have to put Redline in after using Syn 3??).
45 oz is when you open the primary and drain it all, thats a max amount. just stick with fill till it touch the bottom of the basket, you'll be fine. another spot where too much is no good
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Herko

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:56 AM »

..."my SERG manual says 38oz, 96's say 32oz."

Strange. The late model Touring 96 inch manuals that I have show 38 oz. also.
Should this spec be another one added to the CVO myths category?

Here's two more that quickly come to mind:
DBW CVO bikes come with larger throttle bodies vs. their 96 inch counterparts....not.
DBW CVO bikes come with larger fuel injectors vs. their 96 inch counterparts....not.

FWIW. Primary Fluid change here also: 32 oz. and go. CVO or 96 incn bike.

Cheers.

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 01:40:03 PM »

Thanks for the info from all.  I ran into a bit of trouble getting the oil filter off , then back on tightly enough with the sensor and oil cooler lines in the way, and my diminished grip strength of the last couple years.  So question is:  can you take out the sensor that is in the engine block right in front of the oil filter so I can get an end type oil filter wrench on it for removal and tightening?  I know only 1/2 to 3/4 turn, but I can't do it by hand anymore.
Thanks,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:06 PM »

Thanks for the info from all.  I ran into a bit of trouble getting the oil filter off , then back on tightly enough with the sensor and oil cooler lines in the way, and my diminished grip strength of the last couple years.  So question is:  can you take out the sensor that is in the engine block right in front of the oil filter so I can get an end type oil filter wrench on it for removal and tightening?  I know only 1/2 to 3/4 turn, but I can't do it by hand anymore.
Thanks,

I wouldn't make a habit of removing the crank position sensor, and you really shouldn't have to if you get the right filter wrench.  H-D sells one that is notched out to clear the sensor.  Or you could do like I do and buy K&N filters with the 17mm nut welded on the end.  Makes loosening or tightening filters a breeze.  Correct part number for a Twin Cam is KN-171C for chrome, KN-171B for black.

http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:20:32 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »

You guys need to listen to GRC vs all the other opinions. Someone, several pages ago asked for how much oil to use in primary, apparently he couldn't read the owners manual so he asked folks he trusted. Then he gets a bunch of responses that are mostly wag's. GRC answered him with the same info that was in his owners manual he couldn't read, which is what he asked for. Someone made the  comment "been doing it for years" but how can you use that statement on a question regarding a 09?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »

Right or wrong I put (1) qt Redline MTL in the 2010 primary last night at 650 miles.  On the side stand, it is at the bottom of the clutch basket.  Left it that.  1qt of MTL is a lot better than 38-45 ounces of Syn3 I figured.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »

Right or wrong I put (1) qt Redline MTL in the 2010 primary last night at 650 miles.  On the side stand, it is at the bottom of the clutch basket.  Left it that.  1qt of MTL is a lot better than 38-45 ounces of Syn3 I figured.

HeHe!!! Yep, not Rocket Science folks!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »

I know we are talking about stock but if you are using Rivera's clutch they said their plates are bigger than stock so use less fluid than the 38oz so I just use 32.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »

I know we are talking about stock but if you are using Rivera's clutch they said their plates are bigger than stock so use less fluid than the 38oz so I just use 32.

Hehe!!! Yep, and the new style Pro Clutch hydro uses ATF. So it's 1qt ATF in Cybil! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.