Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley's with Reverse???  (Read 9175 times)

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Harley's with Reverse???
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a new 2009 Ultra.  He's unsure because he said that in 2011 Harley will probably come out with reverse for all those riders who can't back up their bikes on their own and maybe he should wait.  I say that if you can't handle it you shouldn't ride it.  In light of this, I thought I'd get some feedback from our forum members.  Do you think Harley should offer reverse gear on their motorcycles (excluding trikes)?

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Harley's with Reverse???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a new 2009 Ultra.  He's unsure because he said that in 2011 Harley will probably come out with reverse for all those riders who can't back up their bikes on their own and maybe he should wait.  I say that if you can't handle it you shouldn't ride it.  In light of this, I thought I'd get some feedback from our forum members.  Do you think Harley should offer reverse gear on their motorcycles (excluding trikes)?

I would say definitely on a trike...that's a lot of bike to heft around.  To be honest, there are some parking situations that I've been in where an electric-type reverse, similar to that of anther touring bike, would have come in handy.  I wouldn't be opposed to them putting a reverse on the heavy tourers, but I wouldn't be upset if they didn't either...just would be one of those "nice to haves" in those isolated incidents where you get into a weird parking situation. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »

There are times I wish I had it
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:04 PM »

i run a hd sidecar

if i had the bux id get a baker reverse - its one down for first, two down for reverse with a solenoid to keep you from doing it at stop signs...

of course what i REALLY want is a proper non ratchet 6 spd hand shift top and a proper foot clutch...

i can always dream cant i?

to

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »

I would say definitely on a trike...that's a lot of bike to heft around.  To be honest, there are some parking situations that I've been in where an electric-type reverse, similar to that of anther touring bike, would have come in handy.  I wouldn't be opposed to them putting a reverse on the heavy tourers, but I wouldn't be upset if they didn't either...just would be one of those "nice to haves" in those isolated incidents where you get into a weird parking situation. 

:devil:

I am with you, if they were to offer it some would purchase it for the reasons stated.

I too have been in a pickle every now and then were it would have been nice to have, but I have learned to just be conscious and park elsewhere.
The one thing I hate is someone trying to help you and yanking on your TP.........WTF
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:02:20 AM »

There is an article somewhere, Baggers maybe? that said they are working on one that could also be retro-fitted to earlier bikes.   There has been a time or two when backing up an incline was the only way to get out of a spot; it would have been handy then, but so far I don't think I'd use it.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:16:31 AM »

would be nice on heavier bikes anyway!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »

It would have to beep beep beep when in reverse.

:builder2:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

Baker has one as stated before, but this unit pops up on several different distributor websites:

http://www.candjtrikeconversion.com/reversegear.html

I don't know who makes it, though  :nixweiss:
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »

i just heard that a friend of mine has just fitted a mechanical reverse on his ultra, i am riding with him next month so i will tell you how he likes it once he has got used to it, sounds like it could be pretty dangerous is the wrong hands and of course accident will happen.

mnr60

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »

Baker has one as stated before, but this unit pops up on several different distributor websites:

http://www.candjtrikeconversion.com/reversegear.html

I don't know who makes it, though  :nixweiss:

That is a Champion. http://www.championsidecars.com/products.asp?scPage=3&catID=5&itemID=26

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

I would sure like to have reverse every now and then. Not a must but when those times arise...............
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »

wait till you get some age on you, and or some permanant injury. you still want to ride, but don't want a  Trike..  Also  many many times you can get where you have to park in a hell of spot and your not gonna get it out on your own.      But then what do i know, have only been riding since 1958..

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »

my friend is very happy with his reverse gear on his ultra, but he does point out he has to be very careful with the clutch, when he is in a sticky situation he asks his bsr to get off and guide him backwards and to warn others of his reversing action. As u say a beep would be useful!

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »

I have a reverse already...His name is Roger...hahaha :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: But seriously...I'd love to have a reverse on my bike!!

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.