Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Down Again with Primary sprocket/bearing-clutch basket 44,500 miles  (Read 2477 times)

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED

Well it was squealing terrible, and I took it into the Dealer-the front sprocket-and bearing inside the primary had slack in it and had heavy groves in it...the bearing was getting scorched...while the mechanic was putting it back together he noticed the clutch basket was also tore up where it slides onto the spline....They also replaced the plug on the front of the primary- where it was leaking fluid....I was only 20 miles from the shop and when I got to my motel it was already squealing again....
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Down Again with Primary sprocket/bearing-clutch basket 44,500 miles
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »

It must have been all that country western music your mom made you play on your trip.   :) Bummer, let us know what the final outcome is.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:53:31 PM by trapperdog »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

Sorry to see this. I feel your pain as I have had same issues. Let us know how this works out.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »

Question for you Nudels...  Did your bike make the squeeling noise only when you backed off the throtle /downshifted or was it squeeling all the time?
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »

Well it was squealing terrible, and I took it into the Dealer-the front sprocket-and bearing inside the primary had slack in it and had heavy groves in it...the bearing was getting scorched...while the mechanic was putting it back together he noticed the clutch basket was also tore up where it slides onto the spline....They also replaced the plug on the front of the primary- where it was leaking fluid....I was only 20 miles from the shop and when I got to my motel it was already squealing again....

what year is the bike and model?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »

what year is the bike and model?

09 FLHTCUSE4

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »

The Cruise Drive sprocket shaft extension pictured is worn very much like a typical high mileage extension run in the early dry clutch machines. Primary drive components in these machines were not run in an oil bath, but indirectly lubricated with an oil mist. These early, high mileage pieces displayed the same burnt finish and hammered-out splines that your photo ilustrates.

Since mid 1984 primary housing components have run in an oil bath and sprocket shaft extension wear is no longer an issue. Attached is a photo of a shaft extension from a 1989 FLHTC that has 42,598 miles; there is virtually no wear on this component.

The early and late extensions aren’t exactly the same, and the cruise drive components are subjected to greater loads, so this comparison isn’t apples to apples, but my sense is that your failure is a lubrication issue.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.