Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get the clutch release bearing in!  (Read 1338 times)

uawman

• Full CVO Member
Can't get the clutch release bearing in!
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »

I just changed the starter gear with the Compufire set-up and went to install the clutch release bearing & pushrod but it doesn't go in deep enough to put the snapring in.  Does the hydralic brakeline have to be opened or maybe the secondary clutch actuator come out of position?  The manual just says to just re-install.  Maybe the clutch basket isn't seated deep enough come to think of it.  When I pulled it off the first time it was easy.  I measured the airgap between the jackshaft gear and starter ring, it was too much so I took the clutch basket off and it was harder then heck to get off.  It's torqued down to specs so I wouldn't think it was that.  Any help!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:53:14 PM by uawman »

uawman

• Full CVO Member
Re: Can't get the clutch release bearing in!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »

Neveremind, I must have pulled the lever while it was out.  Just a little nudging on the bearing and it seated.  Let this be a lesson on all the hand grabbers.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Can't get the clutch release bearing in!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »

Don't feel bad.  Last night I replaced the clutch assembly on the my old Road Glide (had started slipping).  Replaced it with a Scorpion unit from Barnett.  Rode it 10 miles or so and decided wanted to swap out the originally selected set of springs for the set one step tighter.  When I took the derby cover back off found this :huepfenlol2:  .

Adjuster screw on the new clutch was too long and was cutting a nice hole in the derby cover gasket.  I should've noticed it during initial assembly.  But it didn't touch when just sitting there.  Only touched when you pulled the clutch lever.  And I missed it :oops: .

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 21 queries.